Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vishalsheth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
How can the b'dates and anniversaries ba added to ical automatically? It can update on start.

Ashka

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2008
New Zealand
Enter the birthdays in Address book, One per entry only.
iCal Preferences > General > Show Birthdays calendar.

No options as far as I know for anniversaries although you can obviously type them in.

vishalsheth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
typing would have been fine if it was 10 or 20. I have 129 contacts with anniversaries.I'd prefer an automated solution so as anniversary is added, it's added to calender.

John M

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2009
add dates to ical from address book

....I'd prefer an automated solution so as anniversary is added, it's added to calender.

That is why I wrote the application Dates to iCal. It does this as well as adds alarms to the events and shows the age in years on the event.

Best wishes

John M

dnew9999

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2010
That is why I wrote the application Dates to iCal. It does this as well as adds alarms to the events and shows the age in years on the event.

Best wishes

John M

John -- I just downloaded Dates to iCal after reading several references to it in forums because I need a way to add anniversaries to my contacts list on my Mac and have those anniversaries show up in my iCal. I downloaded and installed it and I see the "Anniversaries" calendar now appearing in iCal. However, it's not clear to me now how I add an anniversary date within my address book for a contact and then have it automatically appear in iCal. I know I can edit my addressbook template to add an Anniversary field, but is that what I need to do?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Doug

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
John -- I just downloaded Dates to iCal after reading several references to it in forums because I need a way to add anniversaries to my contacts list on my Mac and have those anniversaries show up in my iCal. I downloaded and installed it and I see the "Anniversaries" calendar now appearing in iCal. However, it's not clear to me now how I add an anniversary date within my address book for a contact and then have it automatically appear in iCal. I know I can edit my addressbook template to add an Anniversary field, but is that what I need to do?

I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Doug

Did you resolve this issue? I too would like to know how to add anniversary dates to Dates to iCal.

imacken

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2010
OK, I sorted it out.
In Address Book, go to Preferences/Template. Add field/Dates and anniversary is there.
Any data added in automatically syncs with iCal through Dates to iCal.
Not obvious, but there you are.

Matt Bianco

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2011
Best Tool Yet -Zencat

I've found the best tool for getting any reoccurring birthday and anniversary into iCal. http://www.zencat.de/bsx/index.html

I've tried several free scripts, reduced capability free software,etc but the Zencat Birthday Scanner is the best, and very easy to use.

It give you control over format of presentation. Free. Clean. No errors after two years of use.

:apple:

gjb270162

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2011
OK, I sorted it out.
In Address Book, go to Preferences/Template. Add field/Dates and anniversary is there.
Any data added in automatically syncs with iCal through Dates to iCal.
Not obvious, but there you are.

This allows you to see the Anniversary field in the address card but it DOES NOT add it to iCal.

gjb270162

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2011
I've found the best tool for getting any reoccurring birthday and anniversary into iCal. http://www.zencat.de/bsx/index.html

I've tried several free scripts, reduced capability free software,etc but the Zencat Birthday Scanner is the best, and very easy to use.

It give you control over format of presentation. Free. Clean. No errors after two years of use.

:apple:
Thanks Matt - does this run in the background or do you need to run it manually?

TIA

creek1

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2011
Anniversary field missing

This allows you to see the Anniversary field in the address card but it DOES NOT add it to iCal.

In MY Address Book (version 6.1) there is no Anniversary field showing in my templates window. It does show as a field in my Smart Group setup. (See attachments.)

Has anyone got a solution? :confused:

Attachments

• Add Field.jpg
    Add Field.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 332
  • Existing Field.jpg
    Existing Field.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 280
  • Smart Group setup.jpg
    Smart Group setup.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 352

David29

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
CA
That's weird because mine shows "Anniversary" as a possible field tat you can add to the template. It also shows up when I create a new blank card.

Attachments

• add field.png
    add field.png
    80.4 KB · Views: 305
  • new card.png
    new card.png
    50.8 KB · Views: 281

David29

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2009
CA
Yes, it IS weird, but you've seen the evidence...

Got it figured out.

When you go to Preferences:Template:Add Field .....

What you are selecting in the drop down list is not THE field that you want to show, but the TYPE of field that you want to display.

So you want to select a field of the type "Dates" so select "Dates" that and you will see a new field TYPE listed in your template. One of the options for that field type is .... Anniversary.

Let me know if that works for you.

----------

Wait, that will get you so that you can have the Anniversary FIELD show up in Address Book.

Now getting back to your initial question ....

To have these show up automatically in iCal is a bit trickier. iCal by default will allow you to show "Birthdays" as a calendar. But I don't think it will let you show your new "Anniversaries" field as its own calendar. To do that you need a 3rd party too called "Dates to iCal 2".

Here is a little blurb about it:

http://download.cnet.com/Dates-to-iCal-2/3000-2124_4-188441.html

Its also handy because it "can add up to five alarms for each birthday in iCal and the same number for anniversaries". Thats very convenient.

creek1

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2011
David,

Wow! I would have NEVER thought of that! And of course it worked. :)

I also first thought that an anniversary dates from Address Book DID show up in my Birthday calendar but then realized that I had added them manually in the iCal Birthday calendar. That I was able to do so seems strange; I would think that that calendar could only be modified through entries in the Address Book itself.

I have downloaded Dates-2-iCal, and it looks like it will get Anniversary dates into the Birthday calendar.

Many thanks,
Dave

Got it figured out.

When you go to Preferences:Template:Add Field .....

What you are selecting in the drop down list is not THE field that you want to show, but the TYPE of field that you want to display.

So you want to select a field of the type "Dates" so select "Dates" that and you will see a new field TYPE listed in your template. One of the options for that field type is .... Anniversary.

Let me know if that works for you.

----------

Wait, that will get you so that you can have the Anniversary FIELD show up in Address Book.

Now getting back to your initial question ....

To have these show up automatically in iCal is a bit trickier. iCal by default will allow you to show "Birthdays" as a calendar. But I don't think it will let you show your new "Anniversaries" field as its own calendar. To do that you need a 3rd party too called "Dates to iCal 2".

Here is a little blurb about it:

http://download.cnet.com/Dates-to-iCal-2/3000-2124_4-188441.html

Its also handy because it "can add up to five alarms for each birthday in iCal and the same number for anniversaries". Thats very convenient.

Last edited:

vcfss

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2015
adding anniversary field using Dates to ical2

I downloaded this program only to find out that it will not work on my MacBookPro OS X Yosemite 10.10.1
I am stuck like other users with the anniversary field added to contacts but it does not sync to ical

vishalsheth

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 18, 2009
If the dates change or get updated then would it refresh like birthdates or I'll have to then manually change that date?

sundevil671

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
I know this thread is ancient, but I find myself in need of a solution to this problem that doesn't require OS X. I use Dates 2 iCal with my MacBook and it works flawlessly, but when my mother asked me to setup something similar on her iPhone, I couldn't figure out a solution. How would one accomplish this if they don't use an actual computer with their iOS device? I feel like a dinosaur these days since I still sync my phone with my Mac with a USB cable.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I know this thread is ancient, but I find myself in need of a solution to this problem that doesn't require OS X. I use Dates 2 iCal with my MacBook and it works flawlessly, but when my mother asked me to setup something similar on her iPhone, I couldn't figure out a solution. How would one accomplish this if they don't use an actual computer with their iOS device? I feel like a dinosaur these days since I still sync my phone with my Mac with a USB cable.

You are wanting to setup a reoccurring event, just on the phone?

When you setup an event, other than birthday, which you can still do this way of course, but you just use the "repeat" found under the new event you are entering. No need for a Mac.

You can do the same for a birthday, or you can add the birthday to your contact and then go under the calendar section under general and have the birthday calendar checked.

If that is not what you are looking for, please be more specific on what you want to setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.