Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Given the following post and thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1836552/

...I have decided to buy a few broken iPod classics for the project mentioned in that post/thread, with the aim of targeting ones that are, more likely than not, solely suffering from a dead or dying hard drive.

The first of them has arrived and I've already started playing with it a bit. I haven't disassembled it yet as I don't yet have the required tools. That being said, I have used the diagnostics menu (Reset, then center and previous track buttons held together) and run some of the tests. So far, it has only told me that my SRAM passed, and that my click wheel, center buttons, and display all work also that the hard drive is, as I had hoped and planned for, was shot.

Is there any way that I can ascertain that literally every other element of this iPod classic is functional?

If not, I had intended these broken iPods to be practice for when I actually seriously make the frankenPod as planned. Still though, it'd be cool to know whether or not these broken iPods can be repurposed otherwise.

If anyone has any insight, please let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.