Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Why not ignore those who are disrespectful to you? If you leave because of these people when you can ignore them, you are essentially giving them power over you. You are allowing their dysfunction to become yours.

Rude people are the exception on this forum. No need to let a minority keep you away.
Yeah I know I shouldn't get too fed up by it and will change the way I see threads by customising it with that feature I think. It is a shame because good points are made by all. Its just the temptation to scream 'fanboy' has got too much for some and with that all reasonable debate starts going down the tubes.
Another +1 for the ignore feature.

Parallel to that: if/when things get petty enough for a report to be appropriate (and of value – I see a topic closed not long before you posted here), then maybe write your report with attention to the content of the post.

(Not an excess of attention to the person posting when reporting that person's post; recall that the desired outcome is to make things less personal. Easier said than done, I know, when things become heated. But hopefully you get the idea. Just a thought.)
It has been fun for a long time. I find the iPhone section these days is not what it used to be and I don't get much from it. I find myself answering questions that have been asked a thousand times rather than personally learning something myself, if that makes sense.

I am a user of both Android and iOS so I've found the better debates and discussions occur in there. I sway more towards the iPhone these days because it is my daily driver and I think this rubs about 5 or 6 members up the wrong way and they feel I am not qualified to be contributing in that section. I have sort confirmation from the mods about it and all is good. I won't claim to be a victim here because I have contributed in times when it has got heated and pushed my points, but I don't get personal. It is the first time I have encountered a clique on a forum, but I suppose it is natural with people sharing the same points of view. Anyway, today is a new day and I will draw a line under it.

Thanks very much both for your input. :)

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Some people tend to confuse their opinions and realities and perceptions with that of the rest of the community and the rest of the Apple fan base and then those people get really insistent. This tends to cause debate with those that either have differing and/or more accurate points of view and then patience is quickly lost.

If you ask a question on here, people are generally very helpful. Sometimes patience is lost when it is asked for the fifty-billionth time, but, to be fair, the forums searching function is really not that good.

It does get old hearing people go on about what they want Apple to do with the next iPad Air/MacBook Air/MacBook Pro when it's (a) something Apple would never do, (b) something Apple should never do, and [c) something that demonstrates a complete lack of either what Apple does or how technology or the laws of physics works.

Otherwise this site isn't that bad. If anything, the rules that are enforced by the mods are a little TOO CareBears-esque.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008
Yeah I know I shouldn't get too fed up by it and will change the way I see threads by customising it with that feature I think. It is a shame because good points are made by all. Its just the temptation to scream 'fanboy' has got too much for some and with that all reasonable debate starts going down the tubes.

It has been fun for a long time. I find the iPhone section these days is not what it used to be and I don't get much from it. I find myself answering questions that have been asked a thousand times rather than personally learning something myself, if that makes sense.

I am a user of both Android and iOS so I've found the better debates and discussions occur in there. I sway more towards the iPhone these days because it is my daily driver and I think this rubs about 5 or 6 members up the wrong way and they feel I am not qualified to be contributing in that section. I have sort confirmation from the mods about it and all is good. I won't claim to be a victim here because I have contributed in times when it has got heated and pushed my points, but I don't get personal. It is the first time I have encountered a clique on a forum, but I suppose it is natural with people sharing the same points of view. Anyway, today is a new day and I will draw a line under it.

Thanks very much both for your input. :)

I here where your coming from, just hours ago I had several members basically tell me I shouldn't comment in the Mac Peripherals section and then try and pull me into a confrontation at that. I have never used the ignore list option as I always wanted to here what the foolish person has to say but after the racist rants in the MLK thread that was moved to another section, I have reconsidered that option.

Last edited by a moderator:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I here where your coming from, just hours ago I had several members basically tell me I shouldn't comment in the Mac Peripherals section and then try and pull me into a confrontation at that. I have never used the ignore list option as I always wanted to here what the foolish person has to say but after the racist rants in the MLK thread that was moved to another section, I have reconsidered that option.
That sounds very similar yes. A clique of people dominate threads and then think they are in charge of who is allowed to post. It doesn't work like that. I have to say my situation has calmed down over the past couple of weeks now. I haven't been quoted by the people involved and hopefully that means our days of discussing with each other are over. It was quite sad because one of the guys was enjoyable to debate with until recently, but got a little too involved I think. Racism in your case shouldn't be tolerated though, did you report that? I would imagine that is ban territory, surely? Good luck anyway. :)

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
I was going to start a tread that was much the same.

I've been here 5 months or so and it's been a real eye opener. Having lived in a Linux world for a long time I guess I got used to and expect the same from all communities. The Linux community can be "lively" at times, words that ought not be said get said but they're nothing like here. This place seems to abound in snark and condescension which I suppose can be justified at times but our cup runneth over here. I'd love to point a finger at age, the internet, the computer, or some other thing, but those all apply elsewhere without the same problem.

Last edited:

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I don't think it is just here. People are mean everywhere, but on the internet you can be who ever you want without really any fear of retaliation by the person you are being a prick too!

----------

People are mean everywhere. Through in the fact you are in the internet and you can be anonymous. The fear of retaliation goes right out the window! People can pricks and they usually are.

That is what the "block" is for! :D

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
I don't think it is just here. People are mean everywhere, but on the internet you can be who ever you want without really any fear of retaliation by the person you are being a prick too!

----------

People are mean everywhere. Through in the fact you are in the internet and you can be anonymous. The fear of retaliation goes right out the window! People can pricks and they usually are.

That is what the "block" is for! :D
Humans - torture, abuse, human sacrifice, wars, rape, slavery, murder - human history is packed with it.
It's the human condition.

And some people complain about mean, mean words on an anonymous internet forum.

This thread should be officially renamed: The Big ********

Edit: I didn't expect the forum software to censor the word ********.

******** must be a mean ****ing word! :p

ann713

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2008
California
internet-reality.gif

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Ignorance is bliss

… The Linux community can be "lively" at times, words that ought not be said get said but they're nothing like here. This place seems to abound in snark and condescension …

MacRumors Forums are a breeze …

… compared to two or three other places that shall remain nameless. I divorced myself from those places, no regrets.

Here, in MacRumors Forums, it's easy to stay. No need for divorce.

The ignore feature is wonderfully effective … at least ninety percent of the listed names are no longer familiar. Troublemakers are easily forgotten :D

alvindarkness

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2009
It's my feeling that within the past two years, there have been a number of new accounts created by a vocal minority who are either Android trolls or paid shills, who's free time and/or job is devoted to repetitively pushing antagonistic views in the forums. There have always been passionate tech debates on the forums, but recently it's taken another tone altogether.

Coincidentally, 2012 is when Samsung drastically upped their marketing budget, and astro-turf campaigns are standard marketing now. All just conjecture, but based on noticing that almost every single antagonistic post comes from a join date of 2012 or later, and the worst ones are from the past few months.

It's getting to the point where it's no longer fun and relaxing for me to read just about any thread off the front page. I wish there was a way to crowd source flagging the relentless trolls, and then filtering out everything they say, and everything written to reply to them.

We have enough Apple fans here already, who hold Apple to account on their choices, to counter an Apple fanboyism, that we don't really need people in here who's purpose is to just reiterate the latest anti-Apple talking point.

I agree completely. I am glad you pointed out the necessary balance, including those who hold Apple to account on their choices - absolutely needed to maintain a foothold in reality. And I too have noticed what seem to be paid shills, or seriously deranged individuals who need to go onto forums to discuss devices they dont own, only to mock them to inflate their ego (or wallet if they are paid shills).

But I think there is another new category, just as extreme as the paid shills, except on the other end of the spectrum. The absolutely delusional fanboy, far worse than anything we have seen in the past. Who generally stay on the iPhone forums (but do spread their wings), and I too have come to the conclusion are 12 year olds as it is the only explanation that fits - well that or a group of paid shills performing reverse psychology just begging us to leave the Apple ecosystem, least we end up like them.

They will defend Apple as being perfect despite anything that counters their view of reality, no matter how outrageous. For example there are those who think it is perfectly fine that Apple don't acknowledge the GPU overheating issues on the high end 2011 15" MBPs models. Or who would defend a new hypothetical watch having a hypothetical 2 hour battery life (I'm exagerating with the figure, but you know they would blindly defend it). The type who would say there are no problems with WiFi on Yosemite and/or iOS8 and you are using it incorrectly, until hordes of people continue to complain - then they persist there is no problem even more vocally. Everything is user error, Apple can do no wrong.

See with the google shills, they are obvious, and very easy to ignore or play with. The typical fanboys are great, I mean it is an Apple based forum afterall. Those who offer a counter balance, absolutely needed. But the new type of extreme fanboy - for me there is nothing enjoyable about reading their posts, and nothing they bring to the table that contributes to the macrumors society. Heaven forbid you ask for help regarding an issue with one of them around.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
Why are people in here so mean? …

Two things, more than anything, increase the likelihood of me becoming mean:
  1. mean-mindedness by people who go out of their way to criticise a person's style of writing, whilst making no positive contribution to a topic (do those people imagine that their own writings are beyond criticism?)
  2. deletions without explanation.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
I've been here 5 months or so and it's been a real eye opener. Having lived in a Linux work for a long time I guess I go used to and expect the same from all communities. The Linux community can be "lively" at times, words that ought not be said get said but they're nothing like here. This place seems to abound in snark and condescension which I suppose can be justified at times but our cup runneth over here. I'd love to point a finger at age, the internet, the computer, or some other thing but those all apply elsewhere without the same problem.

MacRumors, and Apple's own discussion forums were a much different place before Apple really took off with the wider general public, and the masses came flooding in to online forums like these.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
MacRumors, and Apple's own discussion forums were a much different place before Apple really took off with the wider general public, and the masses came flooding in to online forums like these.

So not only was Apple software and hardware better in the good old days, but discussions were also better before the rabble came flooding in?

----------

Two things, more than anything, increase the likelihood of me becoming mean:
  1. mean-mindedness by people who go out of their way to criticise a person's style of writing, whilst making no positive contribution to a topic (do those people imagine that their own writings are beyond criticism?)
  2. deletions without explanation.

Oh dear, looking at the status it looks like one, or both, of the things occurred.

kds1

Suspended
Feb 17, 2013
New York, New York
So not only was Apple software and hardware better in the good old days, but discussions were also better before the rabble came flooding in?

----------

Oh dear, looking at the status it looks like one, or both, of the things occurred.

The discussion forums were better yes. They were actually helpful. I don't agree with your other statement.

bmac4

macrumors 601
Feb 14, 2013
Atlanta Ga
Why are there so many rude people

So I really don't get it. Apple is releasing the Apple Watch. It seems like it will be a great device, and I am sure millions will buy one. Up until this weekend I was going to be one of those people. For some reason when these releases happen the rudest people come out on MacRumors.

I have seen countless threads trashing people that share different opinions about the AW. Why is it that Apple fans on here feel the need to justify their purchases so bad? Most of the people that are posting are being really nice, but are questioning the device. An example I have seen several times is about price. Some one will say why is it so much. Say they will not be buying it because they feel it's overpriced. First comment or two are about how the poster can't afford the AW. Why can't people have an opinion on here that may not agree with what Apple is doing? I understand some are just trolling, and you can tell when that is happening.

Like I said I was going to get an Apple watch up until this weekend. I kept thinking about it, and just felt it was too much money to pay for a first gen Apple product that would likely be replaced by a new product in a year. I decided I would go back to one of my android phones and pick up the moto 360 (I really like the rounded face compared to the square of the AW). I have the iPhone 6+, and I am just waiting on android to offer android wear for iOS. I know it won't be fully baked into iOS. I just think I will wait for the second gen AW.

I know I don't have the popular opinion here, and anyone can come and blast me. Why though can't different opinions be respected on here? I understand if someone is trying to start trouble, but why can't we just let people believe something different? The AW should be a huge seller, and I truly hope everyone that gets it enjoys it.

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
Why do you care enough about what other people think to start an entire thread about it?

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
OP sounds like u need a hug... <GROUP HUG>

lulz, anyways, I saw that post when OP got blasted and was told "im sorry you can't afford it"... I'm dead.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So I really don't get it.

Of course you don't! You've only been on MR since 2013.

This is the first all-new product Apple has released since then. Stick around a bit longer and you'll understand this is "par" here. Basically two main groups of haters with branches of these two: the Steve Ballmers (Anything Apple can do <pick your favorite device or company> can do better) and the Apple Cored (Apple should focus on <pick your favorite mature existing product> and not worry about the stupid future).

Now the interesting thing about these groups is that once a new Apple product takes hold the Ballmers shut up about it and move on to another one, as-if there complaining about previous devices never occurred. Meanwhile the Apple Cored embrace the device they reviled when it was only conceptual, forgetting they ever denigrated it but also move on to grind up whatever Apple is doing if it doesn't conform to their 4x4 box that is their world view.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
You could fill entire tomes on human psychology and what drives people to act in a certain way (lack of face-to-face communication makes it hard for many to emphatize with others, which drives out the worst aspects of them - you see this all over, not just on the internet; road rage for example is driven by the same factors), and in the end it doesn't really matter.

This is just a web forum. Don't pay attention to negative people, you're always going to find them on the internet, so don't let them drag you down. Just do what makes you happy, that's all that matters.

You want a Moto 360? More power to you. It's a nice-looking watch for sure. Not my first choice perhaps, but then, I'm not you either. :)

In regards to your reasoning against Apple Watch, I don't think it'll be obsoleted in a year. iPhone5S isn't obsolete now, even though it's a year and a half old and a successor is out already. I own one myself, and apart from missing hardware features, it does everything the new 6es do. I expect the same from the Watch, with software support continuing for years.

For how long, who can say? Apple hasn't announced anything, but it'll surely be longer than the first-generation smartwatches from Samsung, we can be sure of that! ;) iPhone4 had full support for three years post-release, and they still patch iOS7 with security fixes I believe, so one could consider this a minimum baseline, but I think/hope Apple understands that people expect a longer shelf life from a watch than a phone (which many of us replace every two years), especially a premium priced watch like this one. A decent quartz or regular digital watch can be had for twin digit dollar amounts, Apple Watch costs hundreds more than that at minimum, so you expect more use out of it, especially when factor in the jewelry aspect.

After all, rings and cufflinks and necklaces don't quit working on you because software support ended after just a couple years. ;)

But...who can say for sure! Apple's not making themselves any favors by not announcing these details beforehand.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.