Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Hello everyone! I have a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 ghz 1 TB hard drive and 3 gb ram. Recently, I acquired the Java 6 PPC beta installer. I am running Leopard and installed Tiger for testing purposes. The installer would execute on Tiger but not Leopard, returning the error "This software requires 10.4" or something along those lines. If anyone would please help me with a workaround method to fix this! I have been trying for the past few weeks with no success. Thanks! Oh, and by the way, it successfully installed on Tiger and if anyone needs the file I can provide it.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hello everyone! I have a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 ghz 1 TB hard drive and 3 gb ram. Recently, I acquired the Java 6 PPC beta installer. I am running Leopard and installed Tiger for testing purposes. The installer would execute on Tiger but not Leopard, returning the error "This software requires 10.4" or something along those lines. If anyone would please help me with a workaround method to fix this! I have been trying for the past few weeks with no success. Thanks! Oh, and by the way, it successfully installed on Tiger and if anyone needs the file I can provide it.

Not sure if it would work for this installer but you can spoof the system version number. Intell would have more information on whether this update is safe to apply on Leopard.

harrymatic

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2013
United Kingdom
As far as I know, nobody has actually got this to work on Leopard. It can be tricked into installing, but unfortunately it still doesn't actually work.

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
As far as I know, nobody has actually got this to work on Leopard. It can be tricked into installing, but unfortunately it still doesn't actually work.

Yeah, I've tried many-a-time, but I could never get it to work. There is a fabled version floating somewhere on the internet.

MacCubed

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 26, 2014
Florida
Thanks

Thanks everyone for the replies! Keaton, I was reading on one of the threads you started to try and fix my issue!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.