Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michael31986

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
I have a macbook pro from late 2011. It has a 2.4ghz intel core i5 and 4gb Ram. I have OS X Yosemite installed.

for some reason it seems to be running slow and i always seem to get that rainbow circle when i open programs or do things in safari. Any idea how to make speed it up/clean it up.

Not sure if i have spyware or not.

thanks guys!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I have a macbook pro from late 2011. It has a 2.4ghz intel core i5 and 4gb Ram. I have OS X Yosemite installed.

for some reason it seems to be running slow and i always seem to get that rainbow circle when i open programs or do things in safari. Any idea how to make speed it up/clean it up.
If you're having performance issues, this may help:

jsagurton

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2014
Pennsylvania
Assuming you don't already have one, and you're willing to spend the money, you could always pick up an SSD. They make a DRAMATIC difference, and the installation is very simple and straightforward.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN

Not sure if i have spyware or not.

thanks guys!

Buy SSD.

Problem solved.

PennCentralFan

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2009
Twin Cities
It's true that a SSD will solve those problems. For some reason Yosemite begins to clog up and slow down MBPs with HDD.

I would not be surprised if apple releases some updates for Yosemite. This should be not be happening.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is ccleaner good to clean up?

You don't need "cleaner" or "maintenance" apps to keep your Mac running well, and some of these apps can do more harm than good. Most only remove files/folders or unused languages or architectures, which does nothing more than free up some drive space, with the risk of deleting something important in the process.
These apps will not make your Mac run faster or more efficiently, since having stuff stored on a drive does not impact performance, unless you're running out of drive space. In fact, deleting some caches can hurt performance, rather than help it, since more system resources are used and performance suffers while each cache is being rebuilt.
Many of these tasks should only be done selectively to troubleshoot specific problems, not en masse as routine maintenance. OS X does a good job of taking care of itself, without the need for 3rd party software. Among other things, it has its own maintenance scripts that run silently in the background on a daily, weekly and monthly basis, without user intervention.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.