Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
That's like saying the WiFi is on by default why should I switch it off...

Except it is not at all. Android is built to function with WiFi on all the time. The transitions should be less intrusive by default.

If you do not want dissenting opinions, do not look at this thread.

TPadden

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2010

IFRIT

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2012
Except it is not at all. Android is built to function with WiFi on all the time. The transitions should be less intrusive by default.

If you do not want dissenting opinions, do not look at this thread.

It's not about dissenting opinions, to me criticising something because of one setting that can be turned off in 5 secs is not a valid criticism.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Overall opinion on Lollipop?

It's not about dissenting opinions, to me criticising something because of one setting that can be turned off in 5 secs is not a valid criticism.

What takes an enthusiast five seconds takes my mother in law and other normal users significantly longer.

The real world doesn't live and breathe lollipop like you.

bubbleboil

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2014
If the back ground is black instead of white, or an option to set the colour. Not everybody prefers white colour than black colour.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
Overall opinion on Lollipop?

Like others have mentioned, Lollipop loses form over function which isn't so much of a bad thing, just not what we're used to from Google. Frankly, android was due an aesthetic makeover and I'm enjoying the new look.

omgwtfdimsum

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2014
Lollipop looks sweet. Going to wait until some devs implement pie controls, dynamic status bars, lockscreen widgets, and true silent mode. Sticking with my custom kitkat rom for now.

My biggest beef with Kitkat is that if you have wifi on while streaming music to your car, your music would start skipping whenever you come across saved hotspots. Hoping Lollipop has fixed that.

Is Tasker stable with Lollipop?

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Lollipop looks sweet. Going to wait until some devs implement pie controls, dynamic status bars, lockscreen widgets, and true silent mode. Sticking with my custom kitkat rom for now.

My biggest beef with Kitkat is that if you have wifi on while streaming music to your car, your music would start skipping whenever you come across saved hotspots. Hoping Lollipop has fixed that.

Is Tasker stable with Lollipop?

Are you being serious???

I play music in my car via BT from Note 4 to my car's audio system and wondered why sometimes the music sort of stutters now and then, so it means it happens whenever I pass an 'AlwaysOn' hotspot, many restaurants, cafes, waiting rooms, hospitals etc...down here have AlwaysOn WiFi and us Samsung users have free 1GB monthly usage of it for 12months with each new Samsung we get, and I have WiFi at home and work, so I leave mine on constantly, now it all makes senes, lol.

Thanks a lot!

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
not having those issues people are talking about on twitter

it just looks like the same ios b*tchfest that goes on on these forums

everything is a flop if you listen to everyone

all versions of android and all versions of ios

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
CM12 Lollipop nightly just showed up recently for my Note II. Tempted to try it but stock Kit Kat has been so stable with uptime of 1152 hours. Anyone running it?

Last edited:

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
not having those issues people are talking about on twitter

it just looks like the same ios b*tchfest that goes on on these forums

everything is a flop if you listen to everyone

all versions of android and all versions of ios

I agree but Honeycomb was really a flop, the rest were fine. I didn't really like the Holo design much but that's subjective.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
I have to be missing something, link is less than a dozen disgruntled tweets (actual Android fans???), the newest tweet is a month old ...... :rolleyes:

Lollipop is running fine on all my devices, including both generation Nexus 7's. :cool:

Lollipop runs fine for me as well... about 99% of the time. The other 1% is dealing with app force closures and the ocassional 2-3 second freeze. Very similar to what my iPhone 6 experiences on iOS 8.1.2.

----------

I agree but Honeycomb was really a flop, the rest were fine. I didn't really like the Holo design much but that's subjective.

Yep. I still consider Honeycomb the absolute worst OS update ever made in the history of OS's. There were times I literally wanted to throw my Samsung tablet against the wall.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Not as robust, stable or mature as 4.4.4. There's still some things that need to be fixed and overall there's a few things that I just don't like.
I was going to flash the AOSP 5.0.2 ROM (Ivan) but I figure you are right. I am no rush with Lollipop even though Material Design does look really, really cool. The best-looking Android version so far.

Usually by the time I try out a new update, nearly a year would pass by. By the time I am tasting Lollipop, Android Muffin is already announced. I give it a year until they iron out all the bugs. For now, I will enjoy the more stable KitKat's Project Svelte for the next 8+ months or so. Lollipop 5.0.4 should more be refined by then and available in alot more phones.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
So now that it has been out for a few months now, what are peoples opinions on Lollipop vs the UI of Kit Kat?

Garbage, just a waste of engineers to prettify but ignore function. White on white on freaking white, I don't think night or dark places exist at Google. Going backwards on functionality like the recent screen overlays where you can't see each window anymore. Not fixing missing functionality in Hangouts. Not working more towards Google voice integration, etc. If I had to use vanilla lollipop I think I'd go crazy, thank god for touchwiz.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I still like it - but annoyed over missing basics.

My biggest bug bear though after weeks of it being in my moto X 2014 is....

Standby Drain.

It's awful. Seriously. Phone in airport mode (albeit with WiFi on only) at start of day. Without using it at all (not even going near it) by the end of the day I'm down to 65% !!!!

My iPhone would be down maybe 5% under same circumstance.

Battery profiler just says android system as biggest drain.

So that and aggressive memory killing are major sores with Lollipop 5.0 on my moto.

Hopefully 5.1 comes out soon.

verpeiler

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2013
Munich, Germany
Standby Drain.

It's awful. Seriously. Phone in airport mode (albeit with WiFi on only) at start of day. Without using it at all (not even going near it) by the end of the day I'm down to 65% !!!!

So that and aggressive memory killing are major sores with Lollipop 5.0 on my moto.

This!

I was really looking forward to Lollipop, but after some weeks of usage I was more than disappointed. Apart from some nice design choices, what really changed? Project Volta? I couldn't see any difference to Kitkat, standby drain is still a big issue with android. The absence of a mute function is insane.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I still like it - but annoyed over missing basics.

My biggest bug bear though after weeks of it being in my moto X 2014 is....

Standby Drain.

Sounds like you have a wakelock. The process for finding them is a pain...

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Sounds like you have a wakelock. The process for finding them is a pain...

Any idea where to start ?

edit ... googled wake lock and lollipop and seems to recognised as an issue when wifi is left active - so I've changed that setting and will see what happens.

Last edited:

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Any idea where to start ?

edit ... googled wake lock and lollipop and seems to recognised as an issue when wifi is left active - so I've changed that setting and will see what happens.
Android has always had a wonky wifi wakelock, but my S5 is solid. I set wifi to only stay on in deep sleep when charging, makes a difference. Though yours is extreme, shouldn't be that bad. Download Better Battery Stats and monitor what's happening in that situation, leave the phone as you would, and then check BBS and see what wakelock issues your having. Could be something else. Can post what you find in the BBS thread on XDA.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Android has always had a wonky wifi wakelock, but my S5 is solid. I set wifi to only stay on in deep sleep when charging, makes a difference. Though yours is extreme, shouldn't be that bad. Download Better Battery Stats and monitor what's happening in that situation, leave the phone as you would, and then check BBS and see what wakelock issues your having. Could be something else. Can post what you find in the BBS thread on XDA.

Well since doing that it seems to have solved the majority of the drain. Where it would be down to 70% by now previously - it's at 93%

Still more drain than an iPhone but at least acceptable now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.