Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
I'm a developer in my free time and I recently received an email to my developer address. Apparently a CEO of some company that provides an application with a similar functionality to the one I developed is interested in talking to me. I googled everything he said in order to make sure that this isn't a scam and it seems be legit. His email address also indicates that this isn't fake.

Should I reply? What does he want from me?

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
I'm a developer in my free time and I recently received an email to my developer address. Apparently a CEO of some company that provides an application with a similar functionality to the one I developed is interested in talking to me. I googled everything he said in order to make sure that this isn't a scam and it seems be legit. His email address also indicates that this isn't fake.

Should you reply? Of course not. Nothing good can come from that. I also recommend you add his address to your junk filter - stat!

On a similar note, Ariana Grande keeps calling my cell and emailing me. Should I reply?

Suspended
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
Really not enough information to say.

Can you share any more?

Well, his message was very short. He just said that he is interested in talking to me about my application and how the rest of the market is going.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I’ve been in the industry for some time, kickstarted a number of startups (that got my name into “the channel”), been solicited by companies/investors/VCs to buy/discuss products, IP, to simply to come on board, etc. You never know where a good opportunity might originate.

However, there is also a significant amount of contact by companies that want to provide dev services (code, QA, design), marketing and whatnot. The legit versions of these always identify the services they want to offer, so it’s not a “scam”, just noise, and I usually ignore, but in a few cases I’ll respond with a reasonably cordial “not interested” email.

I would continue to cautiously move forward, do as much due diligence a you can around him and his company, and if everything is cool, just have a _very_ high level conversation. I wouldn’t disclose anything about your product outside of what’s publicly available without an NDA in place.

DT

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Hell yeah you should. She needs to get your credit card info again, since you conveniently forgot to include the CVC number last time.

Oh, and what's the limit on that Visa?

Thanks for tip. Looks like I'm going to the Oscars with her, once I open another VISA account! Funny thing, on the phone she didn't sound anything like I expected. She had a deep throaty laugh, kinda like the sound a dog makes just before it throws up.

OP - for goodness sake make contact. You're smart enough to develop your own app that has generated some interest, right? If your spidy senses trip then back off. Why is this so hard?

juanm

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2006
Fury 161
Well, his message was very short. He just said that he is interested in talking to me about my application and how the rest of the market is going.

Nothing bad can come from talking. Just don't mention any future plans or give anything without a contract :)

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK

Ask him for his phone number. Give him a call and see what opertunities are on offer. Don't give him any information that you wouldn't trust to a spamer though.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
See if he has Snapchat and tell him you'll only communicate through facial expressions and numbers on a calculator.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Should you reply? Of course not. Nothing good can come from that. I also recommend you add his address to your junk filter - stat!

OP - for goodness sake make contact. You're smart enough to develop your own app that has generated some interest, right? If your spidy senses trip then back off. Why is this so hard?

Your communication skills need spiffing up.

By that, I mean they're perfect, nothing needs to be done. Or maybe everything. Who can say?

OP: D.T.s advice mirrors mine. If they're in the same market as your app, I doubt they're trying to sell services, but it's a possibility.

sjinsjca

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2008
I'd say talk to him, but listen rather than offer information.

Who knows, he might want to acquire your app ...or you.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I'd say talk to him, but listen rather than offer information.

Good advice.

OP should be on guard, but realize this could also be an opportunity, of unknown form.

If it's a "real" CEO of a real company, it won't be a long conversation - they typically don't have time to chat, they'll give you a quick idea of why they wanted to talk to you. I'd be a bit wary if it looks to be a long-winded call, then I'd think you're being pumped for information of some sort.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
Good advice.

OP should be on guard, but realize this could also be an opportunity, of unknown form.

If it's a "real" CEO of a real company, it won't be a long conversation - they typically don't have time to chat, they'll give you a quick idea of why they wanted to talk to you. I'd be a bit wary if it looks to be a long-winded call, then I'd think you're being pumped for information of some sort.

One other piece of advice: Regardless of the how the conversation goes, take notes during or immediately following the call and sign and date them. If there is ever a dispute about what was said (it happens often during negotiations and legal proceedings), contemporaneous notes will carry more weight than your recollection at some point in the future. Also, avoid making statements that could be used against you down the line, such as where and when you got the concept for your app, ideas for other apps, marketing plans, and so on. Be cordial without being threatening or offering up anything substantial. And, if the call looks like it's going south, don't be afraid to end it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Are you kidding? Verify who he is and what company he heads. If that can be accomplished, I think you'd be a fool not to talk to him. Yes it could be a scam. Be wary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.