Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
I have had cell/smartphones for over 20 years and have done a lot of rooting of smartphones. But, when it comes to the social side I am an idiot.

I just upgraded from a low data Family Nation plan to 15gb Family Share plan. I have half of my memory available on my 64gb 6+. Not real heavy into accumulating and listening to songs. But, may change that. I have several playlists on phone that I occasionally listen to. Some were mine that I imported and some downloaded from Store.

Question: Now with 15gb is there any reason for me to get iMatch and/or put my music in the cloud. Assume once there it could be lost, although I back up. And, I would incur high data usage when streaming to listen to songs??

Are there delays on listening to streamed music over cellular?

Dumb questions, I know for you more Social Savvy guys. Just never did the cloud before.

Any comments, suggestions welcome--:)

I thought with my memory availability on phone and light to moderate music listening, I have no need for the cloud. May be wrong--:apple:

Thanks

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The actual streaming of songs via iTunes Match can use a significant amount of data. What I usually do is download all of my playlists to my iPhone itself since that's what I listen to the most. Then for the rest of my library I stream over iTunes Match.

You do need a good connection to stream the songs. It requires a bit stronger of a data connection than Pandora. There aren't any delays or anything, it's just like playing the songs as if they were on your device itself.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Music and the Cloud

I usually use about 2.5GB every month streaming iTunes Match/iTunes Radio while driving around town. On LTE you won't notice a delay unless you have really bad reception when starting to stream. For the most part, on a day to day basis it feels like it's local.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Here's what I do. Bear in mind that I have an unlimited data plan on Sprint so this works for me because I don't ever have to consider data usage.

On my Mac I have the Google Music Manager, which is an app and a preference pane. Both of those work in conjunction with my iTunes library to push any new music I may import up to Google Play. Consequently, I have my entire iTunes library in Google Play. Even my playlists are replicated.

I can use any browser anywhere on any device to listen to my entire library. And none of that is stored on my phone. Over 9GBs is up on Google Play and I don't pay a dime.

However, I mainly use the Google Music app on my iPhone to do that. It's a dedicated app and as long as I have a cell/WiFi connection I can listen to any song in my library, anywhere.

The Google Music app also allows you to download to your iPhone any of your music you wish for offline playing.

That's how I do it. No worrying about which songs I want to keep or remove from my phone. It's all right there in Google Play.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2014
Thanks for the replies. I probably still have a Play account with Google. Used it on my Androids.

Didn't think of it, but I have only 5gb of cloud. 3.8 still available.

I think you get more with Match, forget what I read on it awhile back.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
I've looked into Google Play option but ultimately I pay for iTunes match because I like being able to choose which music app to use. Many support iTM but only a few support Google play. In terms of data usage music gets cached. If you are playing much of the same music over and over it won't use that much data.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I am kind of ambivalent about the iTunes app on my iPhone. I've not used it enough to definitevely declare that I don't like it. But I'm leaning that way.

In any case, while I have a 64GB iPhone I don't want ANY of my music on the phone. I'm ok with carrying around over 18GB of Honeymooners videos but not my music. Why, I don't know. Probably because it's video and not just audio. I tend to listen to music when I'm doing something and watch something when I have to wait or wish to relax.

Anyway, the Google Music app works for me for a number of reasons. First, as I've mentioned, my entire library is there. And second, because, like iTunes you can control if from the lockscreen. My iPhone is jailbroken and I have a tweak installed that allows me to control playback using my volume buttons.

So, all the way around Google Play is the choice for me.

Note, I am not saying that any other choice is a bad one. Use what works best for you. This is what works best for me so it's what I use.

Paco II

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2009
Music and the Cloud

It's all about usage and what works. I love the Groove app for smart mixed and it works wonderfully with iTM. Google play being free for personal music is not a bad price though.

It has the same 25k limit as itm right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.