Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lschultz777

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
My daughter used my laptop, for school stuff, when I got it back the history was deleted. She denies doing this (?). I didn't back up to time machine and no icloud. I also tried looking at history.plist and it opens up to blank black screen. An suggestions?

For the future, is there a way to prevent this from happening again?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I don't believe there's any way to "restore" the History once it's deleted.
Although it -might- be possible if you have a cloned backup of the primary drive.

Having said that...
... I would not rely on the "history" file, insofar as "remembering" places I visited on the net.

Best to commit "pages of interest" to bookmarks, or "weblocs".

You can create a webloc by clicking on the text of the URL in the toolbar, then moving your pointer to the left edge of the text (where the icon is), and by dragging it to the desktop. A webloc file with a "Safari icon" will be created. These are very useful and take up next to no disk space at all.

You can rename a webloc as you do a bookmark, and relocate them as any other file (such as into folders, etc.).
Once you have created a webloc, you can just double-click it to open Safari and go to that page, or drag-n-drop it "over" an existing page in Safari.

I use Safari exactly the opposite as do you.
I routinely clear history, clear cache, clear cookies, etc. -- MANY times per day.
I just find Safari "runs cleaner" that way.
Perhaps it's just me....

lschultz777

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
I've seen places on Yahoo on how to do it, thru library-safari-hisotry.plist but its not working for me. I just want to know what my daughter has been viewing, as she deleted it from me......

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote above:
[[ I just want to know what my daughter has been viewing, as she deleted it from me...... ]]

Time to delve more deeply into "parental controls" ...?

lschultz777

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 20, 2009
She wasn't doing "bad", just what she should be doing. Doing things like being on Pinterest instead of using school site for homework, or on amazon...kwim...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.