Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dguay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
My late 2013 Macbook Pro is 10 months old and whenever I watch a live stream or even a recorded video on twitch, even with 50% or less luminosity my battery die so fast ! I can do 100% battery to 0% between 1h and 1h30. On the other hand, I don't have this problem with youtube... Also, my Mac heats a lot when using twitch... I can feel the heat and the fan starts at full speed sometimes.

I'm running Yosemite 10.10.1

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
My late 2013 Macbook Pro is 10 months old and whenever I watch a live stream or even a recorded video on twitch, even with 50% or less luminosity my battery die so fast ! I can do 100% battery to 0% between 1h and 1h30. On the other hand, I don't have this problem with youtube... Also, my Mac heats a lot when using twitch... I can feel the heat and the fan starts at full speed sometimes.

I'm running Yosemite 10.10.1

Anyone else experiencing this issue?
It depends on the power demands of what you have running. Use Activity Monitor to check the energy impact of running apps. It's also quite normal for your Mac to heat up and fans to spin faster under periods of heavy workload.

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of temps and fan speeds, among many other things, rather than depending on your sense of sound or touch. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion and later. You can download it here.

dguay

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2014
It depends on the power demands of what you have running. Use Activity Monitor to check the energy impact of running apps. It's also quite normal for your Mac to heat up and fans to spin faster under periods of heavy workload.

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of temps and fan speeds, among many other things, rather than depending on your sense of sound or touch. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion and later. You can download it here.

Well it looks like chrome isn't optimized for twitch. When I open twitch in safari I have around 50 energy impact in Activity monitor. If I open twitch in chrome it bounces between 200-350...

That's weird

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Well it looks like chrome isn't optimized for twitch. When I open twitch in safari I have around 50 energy impact in Activity monitor. If I open twitch in chrome it bounces between 200-350.
I've read many reports of problems with Chrome, and many have uninstalled it for those reasons.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
The difference with YouTube and Twitch.tv is probably due to html5 and Flash and hardware vs software rendering.

Try updating to latest version of Chrome.

Also, put "chrome://gpu" in Chrome address bar to see if Flash hardware acceleration is enabled. If not, go to "chrome://flags" and try enabling "override software rendering list".

For comparison I get about 5.5 hours of Twitch.tv at 1080p source quality in theater mode on a Broadwell device.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I also found that on those Macs with switchable graphics GPU acceleration is sometimes buggy on the Iris Pro even in Safari and the dGPU forced offers better overall power efficiency. That definitely happens even in Safari which doesn't force the dGPU like Chrome does on any Flash content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.