Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HalfMoonEditor

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2015
I'm concerned on this end because he has stated before due to past tenants that he "will never rent to a woman again", and guess what: the applicant is a woman. I dont condone this behavior and wish I could report him, but there's no proof.

You have nothing to be concerned about. That's discriminatory and illegal. That's like saying "I'll never rent to a black person again". If he ever puts that in writing, keep it and you have yourself another out.

Last edited by a moderator:

adk

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2005
Stuck in the middle with you
All good advice, all of which I have been following.

There is no auto-renew clause in the lease and experts I have consulted agree the state minimum of one rental period applies, which is the same as my OP. They also agree that the lease is poorly written and the past conversation about extending the lease is hard to hold up given no hard evidence..

The landlord is OK with finding a replacement tenant. I did post up my place on Craigslist and there is one person interested at the moment. However, the landlord has the final say. I'm concerned on this end because he has stated before due to past tenants that he "will never rent to a woman again", and guess what: the applicant is a woman. I dont condone this behavior and wish I could report him, but there's no proof.

To top it all off, the rent he is asking is unreasonably high for the area. Adjacent condos (I share a wall with them) are leasing for 20-25% less.

If the tenant advocacy board you spoke agrees that the notice you have given your landlord is legally adequate, your next actions are dependent on a few considerations:

1. Will you need a reference from this guy in the future?
2. Is he the kind of person that will provide a poor reference no matter what you do?
3. What is the likelihood he will actually try to sue you?
4. Can you pre-empt a lawsuit by asking the tenant advisory board to write a letter informing him that your notice is adequate?

luvmymbpr

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2014
I would leave. It's his fault he didn't create another lease. Even in instances where I went month-to-month, I still had a lease stating such. A lease protects both you and the landlord.

On top of it, he's acting horrible. I would move everything out, then let him know that the keys are on the counter. You aren't liable for anything. He has absolutely nothing against you.

rontheancient

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
USA
1. Will you need a reference from this guy in the future?
2. Is he the kind of person that will provide a poor reference no matter what you do?
3. What is the likelihood he will actually try to sue you?
4. Can you pre-empt a lawsuit by asking the tenant advisory board to write a letter informing him that your notice is adequate?

It's too hard to tell if he is willing to move forward to this threat. His threatening emails sound a lot like overconfidence and self-lawyering, along with assumptions that repealed laws are still active.

He wanted to sell me the place (he's a real estate agent) for about the same price he bought it in 2006. Units nearby are valued at a fraction of the cost. So I believe he's an jerk. :)

On top of it, he's acting horrible. I would move everything out, then let him know that the keys are on the counter. You aren't liable for anything. He has absolutely nothing against you.

I've been told that's a good plan.

I'll update with how the new-tenant thing goes!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hookemfins

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
No he's not. There's nothing written aside from the original lease which is over so the contract is no longer viable.

Oral contracts, or as they are called parole contracts, are 100% legal binding contracts. As long as there is a meeting of the minds they are enforceable. in order for a parole contract to become legal it must meet certain criterial like be less than a year. The agreement with the OP was for less than a year.

As far as the law is concerned, the tenant can leave anytime he/she wants. It's a courtesy that they are giving as much notice as they are. And the landlord can threaten all they want. If I were the OP, I'd file a harassment complaint.

You can't file harassment charges if you have a legal binding agreement.

I've had a landlord like this in the past, and when I threatened to get the police involved over a harassment complaint, they suddenly became calm and reasonable.

If I was the landlord and you threatened me with the police, I'd tell you to go ahead and call them. Police would do nothing except tell you to call an attorney. The only time the police get involved is when an eviction is ordered by the court and the landlord regains possession. I've been involved in those on commercial property.

Parole contracts are hard to prove without a witness but very much enforceable.

----------

I'm concerned on this end because he has stated before due to past tenants that he "will never rent to a woman again", and guess what: the applicant is a woman. I dont condone this behavior and wish I could report him, but there's no proof.

That is 100% illegal and if he doesn't rent to her I would file a complaint. There is your out. You can claim he acting unreasonably if she a fully qualified except being a female with or without proof.

luvmymbpr

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2014
Oral contracts, or as they are called parole contracts, are 100% legal binding contracts. As long as there is a meeting of the minds they are enforceable. in order for a parole contract to become legal it must meet certain criterial like be less than a year. The agreement with the OP was for less than a year.

Oral contracts are only enforceable with ample evidence. 2 people arguing over what the agreement was isn't going to cut it.

Unless the landlord has proof of the oral agreement, such as a recording, video, or admission from the tenant in an email, then it's meaningless.

----------

You can't file harassment charges if you have a legal binding agreement.

You most certainly can. It appears that the landlord is making threats and crossing in to the threshold of harassment. You can't do that, whether you have a legally binding agreement or not.

rontheancient

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
USA
Update...

The feedback from the lawyers I talked to was pretty consistent:

• The landlord is definitely self-lawyering since the threatening e-mails used repealed laws and had improper use of legal terms
  • The lease was poorly written and clearly not reviewed by a professional before being used
  • The landlord inadvertently confirmed my month-to-month status via email, so state-law of 30-days notice is applicable
  • The landlord is behaving unprofessionally, and even more so considering he is a real estate agent

That said, it seems like there is some miscommunication on my part about paying Feb rent and I sent over email to clarify that while I'm moving out early, I'm still paying Feb rent per state-law. We'll see how he responds.

And the prospective tenant was a no-show. Seriously?! If you agree to meet at a time and a place and change your mind, at least give the courtesy to cancel.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
The feedback from the lawyers I talked to was pretty consistent:

• The landlord is definitely self-lawyering since the threatening e-mails used repealed laws and had improper use of legal terms
  • The lease was poorly written and clearly not reviewed by a professional before being used
  • The landlord inadvertently confirmed my month-to-month status via email, so state-law of 30-days notice is applicable
  • The landlord is behaving unprofessionally, and even more so considering he is a real estate agent

That said, it seems like there is some miscommunication on my part about paying Feb rent and I sent over email to clarify that while I'm moving out early, I'm still paying Feb rent per state-law. We'll see how he responds.

And the prospective tenant was a no-show. Seriously?! If you agree to meet at a time and a place and change your mind, at least give the courtesy to cancel.

The tenant agreed to meet you and then went against what they said they were going to do?
Hmmmm.....

JK. ;)

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
Just pay the Feb. rent and leave. Don't worry about any of the rest. Then it's up to him if he wants to pursue anything further, which he probably won't. His lawyer will probably tell him he can't prove his loss, and he would be taking a chance on your not showing up in court when he tries to get a default judgement. So just go and not worry about it for now.

rontheancient

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2005
USA
Update...

The landlord has finally backed down. The plan forward is pretty much the same as in the first post...

• Feb will be the final month, per state law
  • Both Landlord and I will attempt to find a replacement tenant for Feb
  • If a replacement can move in during Feb, I'll get a pro-rated refund of rent

I'll be moving out-of-state before Feb (aka next week), but since I'll be paying Feb rent, should I hand over the keys now or when the new tenant takes over (or end of Feb)?

I only ask since I can totally see this landlord trying to double-dip.

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii
The landlord has finally backed down. The plan forward is pretty much the same as in the first post...

• Feb will be the final month, per state law
  • Both Landlord and I will attempt to find a replacement tenant for Feb
  • If a replacement can move in during Feb, I'll get a pro-rated refund of rent

I'll be moving out-of-state before Feb (aka next week), but since I'll be paying Feb rent, should I hand over the keys now or when the new tenant takes over (or end of Feb)?

I only ask since I can totally see this landlord trying to double-dip.

I was a landlord for over twenty years and spent some time in small claims and district court with a few tenants. It didn't sound like your landlord had much of a case and I see he backed down in the end.

My advice would be to draw up a short statement he signs saying he agrees that the apartment was left in good condition, no further money is due and upon returning of the keys you have no further obligations. If your deposit was a security deposit and not for cleaning, that should be returned to you also. I would use the possible double dipping incentive to get the statement signed and the security deposit back before you leave.

If you keep the keys you will still be responsible for an apartment you have no control over since you will be out of state. Why care if he double dips? Also, don't waste your time trying to find a tenant (from out of state!) that might not meet whatever criteria your landlord decides upon. Just walk away clean and protect yourself.

fitshaced

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2011
Didn't the landlord break the verbal contract by not providing the paper one? How can you break it if he broke it first?

Anyway, glad you got it sorted. Renting can be incredibly stressful as there is too much grey area in contracts, even verbal ones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.