Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

suzyj

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2014
I just bought two mid spec 2014 minis, both with the 2.6ghz i5 & 8 gb ram. One has the 1tb hdd, the other has the fusion drive. I'm using both as media players. The fusion drive one opens apps heaps faster, but otherwise they're much of a muchness.

Both are really excellent for this purpose. They rip CDs and DVDs incredibly quickly and just work. They idle at 7w, so there's no need to even turn them off.

Before buying the macs, I thought of using Intel nucs for the same job. By the time I specced a nuc up with i5, 8gb ram and a 1tb drive I was looking at much the same price as the mini, but without thunderbolt and without OS X.

Dunno why people bag the new mini so much. For the price, they're a whole lot of computer.

steve333

macrumors 65816
Dec 12, 2008
Is there an advantage of the SSD over the Fusion Drive?
I'm looking more for performance over storage as I don't even have more than 100Gb stored on my current Mini.

I won't be buying this version of the Mini but will wait to see if they do a real upgrade next version.

Pittsburgh Greg

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2014
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Having used both Macs and Windows (from DOS on), my perspective is that computers are at our service, primarily, in that they perform a service. So, depending on one's needs, the hope is to find what fits.

This should be simple. The complications are that we are somewhat subservient to the powers that be who determine the price point. The conflict happens when the price point is compared to the ease of use of the machine. Most current computers are quite similar in capabilities. It becomes an issue of ease of use, not power. In this sense, Apple has disappointed me. The new Mac Mini is a throwaway. As is most common these days, they are more interested in what makes money, feeds the coffers.

After these facts, for me the question is longevity, (certainly my own) but also that of my servicing computer, the tool I use to express myself beyond email. Surely most of us do not want to publish our great novel, or create the film that will take Avatar to the next step. Still, a tool does provide each of us with opportunities to create. Apple is now concerned not so much with creativity as with connectivity and portability, the value of which is up to you and I to determine. It seems that the vote is in. Connectivity to the max, and smaller is better. Ipods and Ipads.

No objection, here, except that in real life, the view is so much richer and grander. We cannot yet fit our emotions into a machine. I am not judging, but observing that if you want to be in a state of grace, you might learn that this is simply our process. Most of all, have some faith.

If you appreciate this physical life, you desire some longevity. With computers it's the same. The Mac Mini will not be around for long. In our world, especially our culture, nothing may take its place, Don't give up your importance in this equation. It is we who determine what happens, not the powers that be, not Apple or Microsoft. If we give this up, we are lost.

There are three aspects of this problem. One is the operating system, the other is the price point, and the third is technology. Combine all three, and the Mac is the choice for OS and technology, Windows for price. What a frickin bind, right?

My advice is to meditate. Cultivate your friends. Have some distractions, then come back to the problem and find the computer that suits your needs,. Forget about longevity (if you ever considered it), for in this world, it is about money and that's the destruction of anything lasting more than someone wants it to.

Good fortune to you,
Greg in Pittsburgh

I just bought two mid spec 2014 minis, both with the 2.6ghz i5 & 8 gb ram. One has the 1tb hdd, the other has the fusion drive. I'm using both as media players. The fusion drive one opens apps heaps faster, but otherwise they're much of a muchness.

Both are really excellent for this purpose. They rip CDs and DVDs incredibly quickly and just work. They idle at 7w, so there's no need to even turn them off.

Before buying the macs, I thought of using Intel nucs for the same job. By the time I specced a nuc up with i5, 8gb ram and a 1tb drive I was looking at much the same price as the mini, but without thunderbolt and without OS X.

Dunno why people bag the new mini so much. For the price, they're a whole lot of computer.

mctape

macrumors member
Jan 6, 2009
Most Mac mini users, however, aren't interested in upgrading the computer as it gets older.

The heck they're not. RAM and drive updates are nothing to sneeze at.

geniehouse2

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2015
New York
I'm using a Mac Mini as the center of my entertainment system.
my bas mini does everything I want it to do and it's running fine. Plus the whole 802.11ac Wi-Fi. Yes, it has some ups and downs, but what Apple tech doesn't? I don't need to upgrade to a new one.

Meister

Suspended
Oct 10, 2013
Initially, I was considering the Mini for a rack mount config but I'm on hold. I'm surprised that this rather long read doesn't even mention the SSD option when considering performance. I guess the author didn't catch that on the BUY page. :(
There are a lot of things the author did not consider.
This is a misleading article in a lot of ways. I can't even be bothered explaining why right now.

----------

I'm using a Mac Mini as the center of my entertainment system.
my bas mini does everything I want it to do and it's running fine. Plus the whole 802.11ac Wi-Fi. Yes, it has some ups and downs, but what Apple tech doesn't? I don't need to upgrade to a new one.
the base mini for 499$ is a very good deal for what it is supposed to do.
If performance lacks in the future, just upgrade the hdd to an ssd and it will run like greased lightning for years to come.

NISSMAN

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2015
I really debated long and hard on which Mac Mini to buy. I, at one point even put a "best offer" of $1500 on a Late 2012 2.6GHz Quad Core Mini and cancelled it. I ultimately decided to buy the new version and just pony up for the 3.0GHz i7 with a 512GB solid state drive and 16GB of RAM. For me the 802.11ac wireless and Thunderbolt 2 transfer capability plus the fact that the new model is faster in single core apps meant this would likely feel like a faster computer than the old Quad Core. I must say, I have not been disappointed. The machine is solid and silent. I only ever hear the fan when I am really running processor intensive apps and several at once. Yes, it would have been great to not pay Apple's price to max out the RAM but the easiest way to get past the non-upgradable issue is to just order it maxed out. I know this sucks. I really liked the old way Apple did things but this is a great little machine that just sits there quietly and works. The Mini configured this way was $1699 plus tax. The only other thing I could have done was had a 1 TB solid state drive but since I store everything on external drives 512GB is more than enough for me and I was not going to pay another $500 for 500GB of storage. I have my Mini connected to a Samsung 32" Smart TV with 1080p 60Hertz picture which is the Mini's video card's native resolution. It is a match made in heaven. The only funny thing about this all is, the TV has a quad core processor!

MacMinder

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2015
Current Status of MacMini?

What is your current level of satisfaction after the upgrade?

No. Here's my story:

My seven-year-old Dell desktop finally crapped out over a weekend, and I had been waiting to replace it (the last Windows box in the house) with a Mac. Since it isn't a vital computer for the family (everybody's got a MacBook or iPad of some sort), I figured a cheaper investment was better. We'll reuse our monitor and other stuff, and get the Mini, right? At less than $500, it seemed to fit the bill.

So I've had the 1.4gHz/4GB model for a couple of weeks now, and tomorrow it's going back, being exchanged for the 2.6gHz/8GB model. Here's why:

* the 1.4 Mac Mini is slower than my 5-year-old MBP
* the Mini beach balls for nearly every command
* the Mini has delays and lags when switching between users
* the Mini has delays when logging in

Quite frankly, this Mini is slower than the 2007 C2D it replaced. All it is tasked with is Safari browsing, iTunes, and MS Office, and it has dragged its feet at almost all of it.

I have a fair bit of "I told you so" coming, and I admit it. But IMHO, for Apple to sell this low-end machine in 2014 is a disgrace. I thought it would be a fine basic, bare-bones machine, and I was wrong. Buyer beware.

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
What is your current level of satisfaction after the upgrade?

The machine runs like a champ. No issues.

Note that we have not filled up the Fusion Drive enough to have any files on the traditional spinning hard drive. Given the users (wife and kids) it's conceivable that we might not operate on anything but SSD for years.

MacMinder

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2015
The machine runs like a champ. No issues.

Note that we have not filled up the Fusion Drive enough to have any files on the traditional spinning hard drive. Given the users (wife and kids) it's conceivable that we might not operate on anything but SSD for years.
Thanks for the reply. What is your final configuration? Did you stay with the basic 1.4GHz and simply add the Fusion Drive or did you move up to the 2.6GHz version of the Mini?

SuperCachetes

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2010
Away from you
Thanks for the reply. What is your final configuration? Did you stay with the basic 1.4GHz and simply add the Fusion Drive or did you move up to the 2.6GHz version of the Mini?

I actually have the 2.8 i5 with 8GB; the $999 top pre-configured one in a box. You could save $100 by customizing a 2.6 i5 and adding the Fusion Drive, but time was more important to me than money when I was buying. Frankly I was very discombobulated, what with having basically set up a whole Mini for four users, transferring all their files, and then realizing I would have to format the thing, stuff it back in the box, return it, and do it all over again. My retailer was awesome about it, given that I really should have known better in the beginning.

I've heard people say that 4GB is enough, or that the 1.4 gHz processor is enough, and yada yada yada. In the end, ONE of those things (or as I said in my original post, perhaps the lack of an SSD) kept my base machine from performing at an acceptable level. I "swatted the fly with a bazooka" by throwing money at it and fixing all three potential causes. Absolutely no complaints, and I like to think this Mini has many years of service ahead of it.

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I wish this had an optical out connection. Would make it so much more accessible as an HTPC.
Mac mini does have optical out (and input too).

I've heard people say that 4GB is enough, or that the 1.4 gHz processor is enough, and yada yada yada. In the end, ONE of those things (or as I said in my original post, perhaps the lack of an SSD) kept my base machine from performing at an acceptable level.
1.4Ghz processor hasn't been a problem on MacBook Air and still isn't.
Even current MacBook Air aren't much faster.

The issue with the mini is RAM paired with slow HD.

- 4GB RAM ist just a reasonable minimum for OS X.
Once this fills up, contents will be "swapped" to HD, which drags down performance.

- On the flip side, RAM can help cache data for faster access (try: restart Mac, open MS Office, close Office, open again). Though with only 4GB built in, there's just not much (any) available memory for possible swapping in the first place.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.