Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hbk48942

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2015
for me when i was in primary school - i wore a Brazil shirt to school and people called me a traitor.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Not sure I ever cared much for fashion, or what people thought about what I wore. So I'd have to say none.
Also this would be a more interesting thread if people posted pictures of their fashion mistakes!

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
Wearing one of these throughout college in the early 90's.

Mousse

macrumors 68040
Apr 7, 2008
Flea Bottom, King's Landing
Polo shirts with popped collars in the 80's. Good gawd, what was I thinking? I wasn't. Just following the herd.:eek:

I wore bell bottom jeans and shirts with hang glider collars in the 70's, but those were groovy jeans, man.:cool: I should have stayed with 70's fashion throughout the 80's.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I've pretty much worn shorts and a t-shirt as my daily outfit for the last few decades. For special occasions, I might wear a nicer t-shirt. For even more special occasions, a collar might appear. Suits and ties and all that are maybe once a year at best. Kind of hard to be a fashion mistake when you never even try.

But I guess some of the awful glasses I wore in college could count.

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Nothing I can think of. I have very basic clothes that really have not changed all that much.

Wearing one of these throughout college in the early 90's.

I used one of those as a kid when they were popular. It was quite handy at the time.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The premise behind the thread title is interesting, as it can mean genuine blunders of fashion etiquette, or simply slavish adherence to a particular fashion that fashionable 'taste' subsequently decreed to be especially egregious…….

Myself, as a kid, I thought that bell bottoms looked cool, and I thought that I looked amazingly cool wearing a pair of navy bell bottoms and a smart white shirt……..

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
Fashion has always been a low priority for me. That being said, I wear the cheapest blue jeans and tee shirts I can find, usually from Costco or Old Navy.
I personally never look at what someones wearing as long as they're clean and don't smell bad..

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Fashion has always been a low priority for me. That being said, I wear the cheapest blue jeans and tee shirts I can find, usually from Costco or Old Navy.
I personally never look at what someones wearing as long as they're clean and don't smell bad..

Well, to a certain extent, I think that there may be a difference between what is described as 'fashion' - what colours, fabrics, cuts, 'looks', are supposed to be - or are encouraged to be - worn this season - and noting what someone is wearing, and making assumptions and judgments on that person (subconsciously or not) as a consequence.

To be honest, I doubt that many in the western world do not 'never look' at what someone is wearing was long as they are clean and don't smell bad'.

While I agree that this is a minimum standard, I wish I could agree with the sentiments expressed in the rest of your post, but I cannot, as I feel that value judgements as to how people choose to dress, (especially with regard to how women choose to dress) are very much a part of how our society chooses to regard and value people.

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
I may or may not have done the whole Rave Girl looks as a teenager....

oh and these...

Attachments

• scan0038-1.jpg~original.jpeg
    scan0038-1.jpg~original.jpeg
    323.8 KB · Views: 110

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Yeah, my standard mode of dress at the time was shorts and a tshirt, so I may or may not have had pockets on any given day. I kept my wallet, keys, etc. in that thing.

It was or is fuctional and that is what you needed.

I may or may not have done the whole Rave Girl looks as a teenager....

oh and these...

Still better then all the skinny mummy tight junk that is out today.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I wore MC Hammer pants at my 6 grade dance.

At my Junior high graduation, my mother forced me to wear a tie with dolphins on it. Decades later, I still get cracked on from my friends about that.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I don't have any fashion mistakes, because I wear what I want. I don't care what others think. I choose the close that I like and feel the best. Its pointless to live by other people's expectations :)

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Apparently my greatest fashion sin was having thrown my laptop into a stylish but totally hors de saison straw totebag to head out to work one day in October, when I was to visit an aunt later that evening for dinner. She always remarked on everything there was to note about one’s attire, whether correct, incorrect, au courant or dreadfully passé. But out of season?? Horrors! Her usual complaint about my getup was centered on denim, but that night she threw in the totebag as well. I still have the thing and laugh whenver I find myself using it after Labor Day.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.