Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Yes. Great low price and battery life.

One of my greatest fears when it comes to newer smartphones isn't if it gets too larger but the unnecessary higher resolution. I like to stay at 1080p at any phone with a screen lower than 6 inches. I think 720p is fine at 4.7 inches and below and 1080p should be from 4.8 inches to 6 inches. The successor to the OPO could have 2K screen which will waste battery life even more. Look at Oppo Find 7 weaker stamina vs 7a or the LG G3. And batteries aren't getting large enough to suit larger res/ppi and larger screens. I think alot of flagships from 2014 are still good enough for me. Sony Xperia Z2 and OnePlus One would still be solid choices after one year.

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
OPO has dreadful customer / warranty support, a complete 180 degrees from the exemplary service we enjoy from Apple. They've burned a lot of bridges including a big one with CyanogenMod.

Oh I could tell stories about the OPO support. Basically yes, non-existing support. Brilliant handset if it works - if not - you are (almost) on your own.

I suggested the OPO to my colleague - he bought two - and regrets it. First one had a bunch of dead spots on the screen and the other one doesn't seem assembled right - as if the bottom and top shell didn't line up or something .. really odd.

He is in contact with OPO for 6 weeks now. I say he is in contact as OPO has yet to reply to warranty issues .. Thus far he got a few paper weights .... Was even thinking to make a "does it blend" movie.

hashholly

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2008
Im an Apple guy but I got an invite for a coworker to purchase the OPO and set it up for him. Really nice phone, and for the money you can't beat it. Fast, nice screen, photos are good, for $350 at 64gb you can't do much better. Would be my phone of choice for android.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
I see many, many Android smartphones that cost only about $50-$200 but many come from CHINESE brands with crappy MediaTek (Taiwan) processors. I simply REFUSE using MediaTek because their graphics capability lags behind newest Qualcomm's Snapdragon and they never release their source code which means most of their devices usually NEVER get updated to the newest Android firmware. Lenovo is very guilty of this with many of their midrange devices.

Feel lucky and grateful you can get OnePlus One for $300-$350. Most phones that cost similar to that here in the Philippines are from local brands using MediaTek. Meizu MX4 is one of the cheapest but uses MT and I saw a HEAT COMPARISON and the MX4 would hit 120 degrees vs OPO's 105 degrees after a few minutes playing a racing game. And OPO simply has the superior battery life. Xiaomi Mi 4 is OPO's closest comparison in both specs and price but good luck getting it and at the same lower price without paying extra importing it.

OnePlus One for $300-$350 is still WORTH IT considering the prices of other Snapdragon 801 phones right now and considering flagships from 2013 with Snapdragon 600 or 800 cost abt the same second hand.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
OP can always try to do what Jon Rettinger of TechnoBuffalo will do. Buy OPO and then sell it for like $200-$250 after a year or so and use it to buy another phone or for an upgrade. Many folks are lucky that OnePlus caters to your specific country. Filipinos are stuck with MediaTek which are priced just as high. I check out OLX (like Craigslist) and I don't see Xiaomi Mi 3's selling there for 10.6k PHP ($240) because Filipinos are aware they are difficult to obtain at that price and they know that is really good value compared to other Qualcomm Snapdragon 800+ phones or even weaker MediaTeks or Intels with HIGHER prices.

OnePlus One isn't perfect by any means. But for a first generation, it seems really good value. Low risk, high reward type.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.