Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cliegal

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
I received a red case for my rMini today. The fit and finish are good and it looks nice. It doesn't work well as a stand however. The cover is stiff doesn't stay put when folded. I can also say that no animals were harmed during the making of this case. :p

Last edited:

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
Not sure if anyone is interested in saving the 2+ week shipping time, but I am selling my case. I like it, but I prefer the SmartCover instead.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Not sure if anyone is interested in saving the 2+ week shipping time, but I am selling my case. I like it, but I prefer the SmartCover instead.

Well that was a quick turn-around. Sorry its not the case for you. I've PM'd you about the details.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
I received a red case for my rMini today. The fit and finish are good and it looks nice. It doesn't work well as a stand however. The cover is stiff doesn't stay put when folded. I can also say that no animals were harmed during the making of this case. :p

I agree, this is not leather. You can't scratch it with your fingernails as you can with the legit leather ones sold by Apple.

I am surprised to say I got mine just 7 days after ordering off eBay. That was much quicker than I expected.

The case is definitely more ridged than I thought it would be but for $20 I'm not complaining at all. It's with a look if you want $80 looks on a $20 budget!

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
I agree, this is not leather. You can't scratch it with your fingernails as you can with the legit leather ones sold by Apple.

I am surprised to say I got mine just 7 days after ordering off eBay. That was much quicker than I expected.

The case is definitely more ridged than I thought it would be but for $20 I'm not complaining at all. It's with a look if you want $80 looks on a $20 budget!

Glad you like it!

croasan

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2013
Hi guys!

I ordered this case last week and it arrived yesterday. The case fit perfectly well with my rMini and I think I'm a lucky guy because all holes match :)
I haven't seen the original smart case, but I have no reason for complain of this.

MMhTVny.jpg

uCJIVEL.jpg

wPiGAVz.jpg

YlZwnUX.jpg

mFpZ3BA.jpg

zmKzfJQ.jpg

7PHceta.jpg

Last edited:

clumsythief83

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I also bought this case and it's amazing. Wouldn't know that it's a fake one if it wasn't for this thread. Only minus is that when I fold it behind the back, the sleep switch turns it off. I had to unable the lock feature but no big deal for me.

smiffer55

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2010
Based on this thread I purchased the brown case. Unfortunately, in my opinion, it's not even worth $20. It feels and looks like cheap plastic. Luckily the seller does offer full refunds with return shipping. Just my 2 cents.

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Based on this thread I purchased the brown case. Unfortunately, in my opinion, it's not even worth $20. It feels and looks like cheap plastic. Luckily the seller does offer full refunds with return shipping. Just my 2 cents.

Sorry it did not meet your standards. Glad you could get a refund. I'm still using mine daily.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Hey all, not to pull a dead thread up back...but I'm gonna!

I wanted to follow up on the knock-off smart cases and just say that after a good 7/8 months I'm pretty sold on going the eBay route and saving some money for the sake of at least getting the "style" aspect of the smartcase.

So, since this post I have purchased: (1) Black for iPad Mini, (1) Light Brown for iPad Mini and (1) Light Brown for iPad Air 1.

By light brown, I mean the old color, not the new olive brown.

I ended up giving the black to a friend and he uses it still to this day with an iPad Mini 1. He has said the only issue with his case is that the lightning cord doesn't quite fit due to the placement or misplacement of the cut-out. This is the exact same issue I had with mine for the iPad Air, but my iPad Mini light brown case has no such issue.

I've discontinued the use of the iPad Air case and have moved on. It just didn't fit right and I had to remove the bottom case to charge and I don't like doing that for a protective case in general.

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is that I see on eBay there are updated "knock-offs" that include the new 2014/15 colors olive brown and midnight blue. Curiously, there are sellers even selling these updated colors for the Air 1 even though Apple didn't even release this case for Air 1, just Air 2.

I was curious if anyone else has ordered these updated colors and if any issues like the cut-outs have been addressed? I did go ahead and order a midnight blue for both my Mini and Air 1 and will report back any findings. Cheers!

BJB Productions

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Funny, I was also about to post an update to this thread. I would echo what was said above - I love my knockoff. Sure, it's not real leather but it's been great! The only drawback for me would also be the miscut Lightning port; but if you apply a little extra pressure it plugs in just fine. Again, to me this was totally worth the savings and the case has completely protected my Air.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Funny, I was also about to post an update to this thread. I would echo what was said above - I love my knockoff. Sure, it's not real leather but it's been great! The only drawback for me would also be the miscut Lightning port; but if you apply a little extra pressure it plugs in just fine. Again, to me this was totally worth the savings and the case has completely protected my Air.

Let me know if you also get the updated colors. This is my only option to get the midnight blue for my Air 1!

I actually contacted the eBay seller in the original post about the poor cut port for the lightning cable and they offered a partial refund (half the amount I paid) or a replacement. I took the partial refund and was happy with that! Edit: confirmed we used the same eBay seller. Also, the seller at the time (back in May) said they would contact their supplier and see about the cut outs. This is why I'm curious about the updated colors. But to note, I went with a different seller this time so fingers crossed!

Last edited:

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
So I received the cases this weekend. Faster shipping than I expected (just under 2 weeks, came from China) considering the estimate delivery was around Feb. 5th.

The cases are solid. Actually better than the other seller listed in this thread. I'm so happy to have a midnight blue for my Air 1 as it is something Apple chose not to release.

The grain of the faux leather is closer to the real thing. It is a bit softer feeling than the cases from the last go around too.

I'll try and get some pics up.

Here is a link to the eBay listing for those looking for updated colors:'

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-Slim-...iPad-2-3-4-iPad-air-ipad-air-2-/201266481201?

cjmal

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2007
Bought this case via mpayne2k's link. Just got it in the mail and I am very happy with it. You can tell close up that's its not an original smart case but from a distance its indistinguishable. Ports were perfectly cut out on mine too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.