Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It is all a preference thing as my 6 is what I had wished the 5/5s would be. I do not like the size of my 6+ but choose it over the 6 due to the larger keyboard. I have large hands and the 6+ keyboard results in far less errors than I had with the 6 so I am willing to sacrifice the size for function.

No possible way I could go back to the 5/5S as the keyboard was tiny small.

Hope Apple keeps something in the 5 range for those who want it but I have my doubts as I think the demand is too small.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
That's true. I had a Nokia lumia phone with a 4.7 screen and that one did NOT feel as big as the iPhone. Also, the 6 is extremely slippery. I never put a case on a phone so that's another issue for me.

We'll have to wait and see.

Ditto that about the slipperyness. The iPhone 6 needs flat sides...

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
It is all a preference thing as my 6 is what I had wished the 5/5s would be. I do not like the size of my 6+ but choose it over the 6 due to the larger keyboard. I have large hands and the 6+ keyboard results in far less errors than I had with the 6 so I am willing to sacrifice the size for function.

No possible way I could go back to the 5/5S as the keyboard was tiny small.

Hope Apple keeps something in the 5 range for those who want it but I have my doubts as I think the demand is too small.

At.least.this.problem.never.happened.on.the.5/5S.keyboard...

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
The 6 is perfect for me but I understand the OP and my wife says the same thing. She doesn't want to let go of her 5S. I offered to buy her a new 6 and she refused.

I thought I read some where that Apple was considering a 5S size phone as a standard item in their line up. Maybe I dreamed that and can't remember where I saw it.

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT
I completely disagree the iP6 Plus is great. I'll never go to a smaller phone. Although I think I remember saying that I would never to to a "phablet" a year ago and, here I am.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
At.least.this.problem.never.happened.on.the.5/5S.keyboard...

Really? I always had this problem on the 5s, and he 6 as well. It's just terrible design decision by Apple, the iOS 6 keyboard didn't have this issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I actually had it for two days :) my mother in law got one and waited for her SIM card. To be honest - it wasn't so different. Both were impractical for single handed use, so might as well get the bigger screen.

I feel the same way about the 6 vs. the 6+ if I ever get forced to move up to a screen that is bigger than I can use with one hand like the 6 has I'd rather go as big as I can and get the 6+ so I get at least some benefit out of giving up one handed use.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
Can you elaborate on your health issues and what that has to do with owning an iPhone?

Not attacking you, just really curious as some of us are more sensitive to electronic devices than others. . .

Thanks !

The biggest issues I've ever seen mentioned are cancer (applies to all cell phones, though...jury is out), emotional problems (attachment to phone, avoidance of humans), vision issues (same as computer eye syndrome), and "text neck." That's neck/shoulder/arm/hand pain associated with texting posture.

All these are avoidable, of course.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
Just noticed one more thing that I really missed, and lord it is really ridiculous :): the ability to put the phone upright on its base.

Stupid I know, but turns out I do it a lot :).

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I bought an iPhone 6 2 months ago and gave the 5s to my wife.

Today I happened to play around with her phone after all those weeks. It simply felt WONDERFUL. The phone fit perfectly in my hands, I was able to reach every button, the text size was the same anyway so who cares about the screen size... It just felt right again.

I decided to let her have the 6 to see if she likes it. I hope she will, because it will be hard for me to use the big phone again.

I really hope Apple will put out a smaller version of the 6s like it was rumoured. Those of us who loved the original form factor feel rather left behind.

I like the size of the 5S. There are those of us that prefer a smaller phone. The size of the iphone 4 as great as well. 6+ is too big for me and the jury is out on the i6.

RodDavies

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2014
I got a 6+ on release day. My wife had a 5s.

She is 4ft 10in tall and has tiny, tiny hands.

She spent 2 months looking at me on my 6+. One night I said to her the 6+ was finally showing as Available for order for next day pick up on the availability screen in Apple.com.au in the Perth Store. She said not to order.

2 weeks later we were in town seeing the Rolling Stones, and walking past the Apple shop she said I want to go in and get a 6+. Got the last one in Store at 840pm.

She has told me she could not ever go back to the smaller form factor of the 5s.

It's ALL personal. But IF she can handle the 6+, anyone can! To me, and her I guess, the 6+ IS the perfect phone.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I got a 6+ on release day. My wife had a 5s.

She is 4ft 10in tall and has tiny, tiny hands.

She spent 2 months looking at me on my 6+. One night I said to her the 6+ was finally showing as Available for order for next day pick up on the availability screen in Apple.com.au in the Perth Store. She said not to order.

2 weeks later we were in town seeing the Rolling Stones, and walking past the Apple shop she said I want to go in and get a 6+. Got the last one in Store at 840pm.

She has told me she could not ever go back to the smaller form factor of the 5s.

It's ALL personal. But IF she can handle the 6+, anyone can! To me, and her I guess, the 6+ IS the perfect phone.

It's less about handling it, than carrying it as a "mobile" device. Well it is a little bit about handling it, two hands is great, unless you ride the E train rush hour and you need to hold on to a bar with one hand.

But to me, it's a nuisance to carry it in my pocket. My 5S is small enough to fit anywhere, in any situation. I can't say the same for the 6+.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
Yes, it's not about not being able to handle the 6, I was able to use the 6+ As well.

It was about having to work harder to do simple tasks without feeling I get any meaningful benefit out of it. There's nothing I felt I missed with the bigger screen. Thank god,my sight is fine. I use the device one-handed most of the time. That's just the reality when you have 2 baby twins in the house :).

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I feel the same way about the 6 vs. the 6+ if I ever get forced to move up to a screen that is bigger than I can use with one hand like the 6 has I'd rather go as big as I can and get the 6+ so I get at least some benefit out of giving up one handed use.

Same reason I went for the Plus over the 6. I couldn't use the 6 with one hand reliably either so the Plus was a no brainer to get its extra functionality (better low light camera, screen res, system wide landscape mode).

The size isn't an issue for me. I have one pair of pants it doesn't fit comfortably in but it has smaller than usual pockets for a guy which is annoying anyway.

The on complaint I have after using it for a few weeks is that 1GB RAM is really not enough for this device. It resumes apps way too often. Safari I can deal with as that's ALWAYS been an issue for me on every iPhone I've had but its crap that I can't multitask without any other app having to reload or for apps to randomly crash because the RAM was exceeded (logs prove this).

However, it's still a great device to be more productive. I use my phone at work constantly messaging work pictures to my boss, emailing, calling, texting with my team, using my project management tools and the bigger screen size really improves my productivity. The screen resolution is the size of most work computer displays so it displays the same. It's still smaller physically but I can still read it better than on the smaller 6 and certainly the 5 (which was practically unusable for some tasks).

I'm definitely a happy 6 Plus owner. Once you get used to the larger size everything else seems too small especially if it becomes your main computing device.

----------

I actually had it for two days :) my mother in law got one and waited for her SIM card. To be honest - it wasn't so different. Both were impractical for single handed use, so might as well get the bigger screen.

----------

Really? I always had this problem on the 5s, and he 6 as well. It's just terrible design decision by Apple, the iOS 6 keyboard didn't have this issue.

That's just an iOS keyboard issue. I've been having that typing issue since the original iPhone. For me it's usually "n" or "b" though unless I'm typing in the Safari address bar. You'd think intelligent software would take them out as it sees normal words in line. Oh well.

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
Can you elaborate on your health issues and what that has to do with owning an iPhone?

Not attacking you, just really curious as some of us are more sensitive to electronic devices than others. . .

Thanks !

And what would these serious health issues be?

I already have arthritis in the neck and other areas. The last couple of years my neck has gotten worse and a recent shoulder injury is adding muscle and nerve issues to that mix. My doctors told me using mobile devices is not a good thing because it's putting pressure on points already under duress. I am sure physical therapy and exercises will help, but I refuse to make things worse just to make my life a little easier.

Last edited:

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
right now i have the 5 and my upgrade is in 2 months, should i just get the 5s instead of the 6?

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
Holding the 5s after using the 6/6 Plus does indeed feel nice but the lack of screen real estate kills it for me now. I'll take the screen size.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I bought an iPhone 6 2 months ago and gave the 5s to my wife.

Today I happened to play around with her phone after all those weeks. It simply felt WONDERFUL. The phone fit perfectly in my hands, I was able to reach every button, the text size was the same anyway so who cares about the screen size... It just felt right again.

I decided to let her have the 6 to see if she likes it. I hope she will, because it will be hard for me to use the big phone again.

I really hope Apple will put out a smaller version of the 6s like it was rumoured. Those of us who loved the original form factor feel rather left behind.

It's not like the iPhone 6 is really that big in the first place.

Fzang

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2013
Whenever people list all these scenarios where the 6+ is impossible to use because of its size, all I can think is "take a natural break from your addiction then". That even goes for myself.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Whenever people list all these scenarios where the 6+ is impossible to use because of its size, all I can think is "take a natural break from your addiction then". That even goes for myself.

Nobody has said the 6 Plus is impossible to 'use' because of its size that I have read. That would mean iPads are impossible too. The problem for many and the reason the 6 sells better is the portability.

I carry a phone in my pocket and my iPad generally travels with me daily too when I commute to work and in the evenings when I am relaxing. The Plus as I've said is too big to carry easily in pockets and is redundant anyway if I have my iPad with me. It's about finding the best setup for the individual. Preference might suggest the 6 is too small for some people wanting the biggest screen going, but portability is a practical issue that is a little more difficult to overcome. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.