Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
I have the 11" i7/8gb/512gb MBA and had a 13" i5/4gb/256gb MBA previously. The 13 is nice but I really like the 11 much better. Perfect size/weight for travel - it's great on an airline tray table. Battery life is still excellent, you can get 12 hours with sensible settings.

There are a lot of rumors about the 12" retina model, it's hard to know what to believe. If you can wait, I don't see the harm. But there have been some posts here suggesting that it will actually be slower than the current i7 version. That would be a deal breaker for me. I'm not interested in retina or a fanless design, especially if they compromise performance.

mattdocs12345

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2015
That's what I have been thinking about recently. To at least wait until March/April and see how the 12 inch version performs and how it compares to 11 inch MBA.
Not having a single port for USB would be really annoying but not necessarily a deal breaker.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
OTOH, look what happened with the recent Mac Mini update. People were disappointed and 2012 refurbs became hot items that sold out as soon as they appeared on Apple's site.

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
OTOH, look what happened with the recent Mac Mini update. People were disappointed and 2012 refurbs became hot items that sold out as soon as they appeared on Apple's site.

For this reason I'm thinking of buying a 2014 11" refurb with 8GB RAM while I can.

I was lucky enough to run to a store and buy a 2012 2.3 mini nicely discounted the day after the keynote, but I couldn't buy a CTO 2.6 because you couldn't order them anymore.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

I think the days of Apple releasing new hardware that is viewed as clearly superior to the currently available options are over... at least for a while.

For this reason I'm thinking of buying a 2014 11" refurb with 8GB RAM while I can.

I was lucky enough to run to a store and buy a 2012 2.3 mini nicely discounted the day after the keynote, but I couldn't buy a CTO 2.6 because you couldn't order them anymore.
That's what I've been recommending to folks who are seriously considering an 11" MBA. Buy one as soon as another sale pops up... if Apple does something amazing with the next gen of MBA, then one should be able to turn around and sell it for very close to what was paid (at the discounted price).

qcmacmini

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2014
The Netherlands
I think the days of Apple releasing new hardware that is viewed as clearly superior to the currently available options are over... at least for a while.

That's what I've been recommending to folks who are seriously considering an 11" MBA. Buy one as soon as another sale pops up... if Apple does something amazing with the next gen of MBA, then one should be able to turn around and sell it for very close to what was paid (at the discounted price).

I hate to be a Steve Jobs Apple fan boy, but the current newly released designs suck.

I'm also hopeful they finally come to their senses and don't release more junk like iPad Air 2s and iPhone 6s that bend because they have to be so thin.

I'm holding onto my iPad 4 because I love the design, yeah it's a bit heavy, but it feels nice to hold and look at, plus it does everything I want it to just fine.

ERdoc

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2010
Sadly, my 2010 MBA 11" screen is dying. Started to get the vertical lines yesterday. I was going to wait until the 12 MBA came out. I don't think I can do that. I think I need to get a refurb MBA 11, as those lines are driving me crazy!

Cancelled
May 21, 2014
11" all the way, if portability is what you desire. If I wanted a bigger screen, I'd jump straight for the Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.