Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Windows-8.1-Pro-for-Students/productID.288769600

$70 is a good price and I want to do this legally. Looks like this IS a stand alone windows 8 and not an upgrade but I could be wrong and if so my plan is out the window...(heh)

Can anybody point me in the right direction of finding steps to purchase and download this?

Does buying this simply give me a liscense key and IOS file and then I select it with bootcamp?

Since they're students, they actually can get it for free, completely. It's legal too.

Just have them go to dreamspark.com and sign up for a DreamSpark account as a student. They may need to provide verification by using a .edu email address or student ID.

I got Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro (same as 8.1 Pro but with all the extra stuff for mass-deployment in embedded devices) for free, by using a DreamSpark account.

Download the ISO from DreamSpark and then run Boot Camp Assistant. That's it.

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
Since they're students, they actually can get it for free, completely. It's legal too.

Just have them go to dreamspark.com and sign up for a DreamSpark account as a student. They may need to provide verification by using a .edu email address or student ID.

I got Windows Embedded 8.1 Industry Pro (same as 8.1 Pro but with all the extra stuff for mass-deployment in embedded devices) for free, by using a DreamSpark account.

Download the ISO from DreamSpark and then run Boot Camp Assistant. That's it.

My school's dreamspark thing says Windows is required to get another Windows key! Talk about useless!

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
Is that so?

I got all my DreamSpark keys from my Mac.

Even the DreamSpark download manager worked on my Mac.

Not even joking. This is ridiculous and i would have done it via dreamspark a long time ago if I could.

"As per the DreamSpark Premium Usage Guidelines, you may NOT install a Windows Client Operating System (WinXP, Win7, Win8, etc.) obtained from the DreamSpark program on a computer if that computer is not already licensed to run a full version of a Windows Client Operating System as evidenced by a valid Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for a Windows Client Operating System affixed to the computer."

I am going to try and get it and see what happens....maybe it won't stop me....

Last edited:

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
Not even joking. This is ridiculous and i would have done it via dreamspark a long time ago if I could.

"As per the DreamSpark Premium Usage Guidelines, you may NOT install a Windows Client Operating System (WinXP, Win7, Win8, etc.) obtained from the DreamSpark program on a computer if that computer is not already licensed to run a full version of a Windows Client Operating System as evidenced by a valid Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for a Windows Client Operating System affixed to the computer."

Even if you do end up getting the $70 license, the steps are still the same.

illusionx

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Brossard, QC

It will still work. It's just legally, you are not entitled to use a volume license if the computer did not come with a. OEM license.
It's something stupid Microsoft did recently when windows 8 came out.

So technically, you cannot ever license a machine that did not come with Windows. But nothing, as a home user, prevents you from doing it.

You would only get into possible troubled if the machine was used in an enterprise where volume licenses are used. Microsoft pick random companies with volume licensing agreements and run audits.

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
Do I need a flash drive or anything or does the ISO just download and I get a key to enter when Windows is done installing?

saturnotaku

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2013
So technically, you cannot ever license a machine that did not come with Windows.

Unless you purchased the retail version of the operating system.

Do I need a flash drive or anything or does the ISO just download and I get a key to enter when Windows is done installing?

Yes, you need an 8 GB flash drive. When you are ready to download the .iso file, a CD key should be provided. Write it down and enter it when asked.

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
I could be wrong, but I thought these student versions of windows were upgrades, not the full version of windows, i.e., you need a bootable windows machine before installing.

I ordered myself a 16GB flash drive off amazon, since I only have old 1GB and 2GB ones I have been using.

Going to attempt to use the Dream Spark Windows 8.1

How exactly do I go about installing Windows. I know to use the bootcamp program and choose my partition size, but after that I really have no idea. Will bootcamp have me boot the windows ISO from the flashdrive?

I've installed windows on 2 computers I've built but that was off DVDs and very simple

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
I hope you ordered USB 2.0 flash drives because USB 3.0 drives won't work.
Format the new flash drive as FAT.
Make sure you also partition it as MBR.
Run Bootcamp Assistant and use the Windows ISO as the source and the newly formatted flash drive as the destination.
Click the checkbox to download the latest Windows Bootcamp drivers.
Bootcamp will copy the ISO to the flash drive, add in the drivers, and make it all bootable.
It will then ask you what size Windows partition you want.
After it makes the new partition it will reboot off of the new Windows flash drive.
When you get to the point where it asks you where to install Windows you select the newly created Bootcamp partition.
Windows will say that it's not compatible so use the advanced options right within the Windows installer to format the Bootcamp partition.
Installation will then proceed from there.
Your computer will reboot a few times and after Windows is installed, it will then proceed with the install of the Bootcamp drivers.

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
I ordered myself a 16GB flash drive off amazon, since I only have old 1GB and 2GB ones I have been using.

Going to attempt to use the Dream Spark Windows 8.1

How exactly do I go about installing Windows. I know to use the bootcamp program and choose my partition size, but after that I really have no idea. Will bootcamp have me boot the windows ISO from the flashdrive?

I've installed windows on 2 computers I've built but that was off DVDs and very simple

Just open Boot Camp Assistant and follow the prompts.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Using the bootcamp utility on a rMBP will allow you to create a bootable thumb drive from the ISO you bought from MS.

illusionx

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2014
Brossard, QC
Unless you purchased the retail version of the operating system.

Microsoft website says you need windows 7 to use 8.1. Unless I am missing something.

f613dd61b90902707d31df82924074f2.jpg

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Microsoft website says you need windows 7 to use 8.1. Unless I am missing something.

You don't need Windows 7 to use 8.1.
You need Windows 7 to make use of that particular offer.
If you have Windows 8 you simply update to 8.1 for free and if you have anything older than Windows 7 you have to buy the DVD installer.

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
Finally go my ISO and key but bootcamp keeps saying

"Can't download the software because of a network problem"

My internet is fine : (

Yoshi Yogurt

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 5, 2010
Is it trying to download the bootcamp utilities? Just skip that part and get them here:https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro/bootcamp/ (I linked the drivers for MacBook Pros) You can then install them later after you install windows.

Yea I got it my getting the support software from apple's site and putting it on the USB along with the windows install stuff. Worked perfectly. No idea why the bootcamp assistant can't access apple servers when I could just go get it myself just fine....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.