Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Pro Tools 12 just announced - damn I guess they'll need another six months to qualify that lol

And I'm having a hell of a hard time figuring out what's new that's actually related to audio. The only thing so far that I recognize as being new is the cloud collaboration stuff and that's not interesting to me at all.

upthetoffees

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Oh, I really can't say... "comfortable using the basics of both" maybe? They are both quite deep if you want to.

Logic is probably the easiest if you have seen a midisequencer before, it works like sequencers have done for ages.

Ableton Live have a bit of a different GUI with the "session view" as the main composing area (it looks more like Logic in it's other view - "arrange view").

It all depends on what you want to do. You will probably be able to learn the basics and get around quite comfortably in both apps in half a year.
(really understanding and programming all synths yourself, know how to use eq, fx and mix well is more of a lifetime project...;) )

For me, coming from "traditional" midisequencers and mostly making various forms of electronic music, I still prefer working with Ableton Live nowadays even though this program is the newest one for me. It's so quick for trying out new ideas and quickly get somekind of a rough sketch to keep working on. Ableton Live's dead easy mapping for midicontrollers can't be matched on any other digital audio workstation as far as I know. Ableton Live could be used as an whole instrument for live performance jams and recording of them.

I use Logic for working with older projects where hardware synths are involved. I prefer Logic's mixing and eq-tools when doing audio recordings of my old hardware. Compared to Ableton Live, Logic is more of a studio with instruments and a mixer & fx in it. Suits a more "linear" way of working, when you from the start pretty much know where you want to go.

Hey entropi, thanks a lot for taking time to answer that question of mine, very much appreciate it! I have both but have never spent the time delving in as I should. Was always worried ableton was a toy next to logic and logic being too heavy. I think this is because all of Ableton's in-house videos, they use awful drum sounds and synths and it sounds just terrible, like an old casio in the 80s, back when that wasn't cool.

I'll dive in, thanks again, you are a good person.

patent10021

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2004
Much appreciated updates Logic team. Thanks.

Next if you could update all the instrument GUIs and allow us to rearrange tracks/channels in the mix window that would be great.

klogg

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2012
Did they fix the digital pops caused by flex polyphonic complex on? The issue is there from logic 9

Anyone?

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
Finally, Mellotrons -- yes!

----------

Think I'd be nervous about investing in this program after what happened to aperture.

We don't yet know what happened to Aperture. Its replacement could be awesome, awful, or so-so. I'm reserving judgement until it's released.

TheTurboGinger

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
Yes! Anyone try the new compressor? Or is it just a gui update?

The new compressor is alright, I'm guessing people will find a use for it. GUI update on the other 6. The new GUI is quite nice, it shows a scrolling compression amount on the waveform as the audio plays through (similar to Izotope Nectar 2)

Logic crashed soon after taking the screenshot while I played around with the compressor... I'll probably wait a while before I upgrade on my actual project computer.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 1.25.15 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 1.25.15 AM.png
    803.8 KB · Views: 102

Freeks

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2009
Meh. Still see no reason to upgrade. How about updating the audio editing tools? Tighten the integration with FCPX. Lossy editing in 2015?! I'll pass again.
Wtf is lossy editing?
Have not seen that in Logic ever.

Try ableton and you learn how to degrade audio quality.

----------

I think this is because all of Ableton's in-house videos, they use awful drum sounds and synths and it sounds just terrible, like an old casio in the 80s, back when that wasn't cool.
Abletons bundled content is terrible. Logics synths and content is miles ahead or should i say years ahead as Ableton sounds like Berlin -94. And for some people that is the best thing ever.

----------

The new compressor is alright, I'm guessing people will find a use for it.
Is it different from old one? Old one being one of the best software compressors out there.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
Is it different from old one? Old one being one of the best software compressors out there.
has a new algorithm, and it looks better. :)

That would be a mistake. While I understand why they are trying to go flat everywhere, it also has a downside... making the UI harder to decipher. Buttons should look like pushable buttons!

It's not that bad when used on retina. I use AudioSpillage plugins which are completely flat, and they work really well on retina. I imagine on non-retina, the flat look doesn't work that well.

Meh. Still see no reason to upgrade. How about updating the audio editing tools? Tighten the integration with FCPX. Lossy editing in 2015?! I'll pass again.

lossy?! It's lossless afaik.

Tightening integration with FCPX will call for drastic changes in logics workflow, since FCPX uses completely different audio approach. It's not like Audition and PremierePro work that well together anyway. There are limits to what you can integrate.

----------

And I'm having a hell of a hard time figuring out what's new that's actually related to audio. The only thing so far that I recognize as being new is the cloud collaboration stuff and that's not interesting to me at all.

Wow. They completely changed the target demographic. It's funny, because thats what apple did with FCPX and also to a degree with LPX. And people were whining they're not "pro" anymore, but in all reality, apple was targeting the largest content creator. Unfortunately that's the semi-pro nowadays, not a "professional" in sense of 1990s...

JamesPDX

Suspended
Aug 26, 2014
USA
I really miss Studio Vision Pro

The new compressor is alright, I'm guessing people will find a use for it. GUI update on the other 6. The new GUI is quite nice, it shows a scrolling compression amount on the waveform as the audio plays through (similar to Izotope Nectar 2)

Logic crashed soon after taking the screenshot while I played around with the compressor... I'll probably wait a while before I upgrade on my actual project computer.

I have to say that the new compressor alone is worth the update. It runs fine on Mavericks. There's a really nice Focusrite Red emulator in there. If you're on the fence about the Wave's Renaissance Compressor, this will do fine if you're only working in Logic. I haven't monkeyed with the AAF export yet.

That being said, the days of Opcode's "Vision 4.1" and "Studio Vision Pro 4.3" are gone forever. It was the best sequencer for production. Ever. The ease of creation and fast, obedient, useful editing were way beyond anything I've seen since 1996. I'm just sorry that you youngsters never got to use it. It was the industry's flagship sequencer at that time. You could run Vision on a Classic II, OS 7.1. I ran SVP on a 7300 PPC and a Quadra 840AV on system 8.6. There were no built-in sounds, loops, etc., and no realtime DSP; it just recorded what you could play into it via midi. You could add a soundcard like a Digidesign Audiomedia II or III and have 4 tracks of 16-bit digital audio, but again, it didn't create for you, you had to create and record. You could then mix to DAT. (CDR was new and very expensive. -No bouncing to disk. I recorded everything 16bit/48khz and it was amazing what you could make work with 16 midi tracks and 4 audio tracks.

Then Gibson bought it and killed it.

babene

macrumors newbie
Jan 23, 2015
Fantastic!

Fantastic update of features, some of which I'd been waiting for (brush, plug in list managing). Really liking the convenience of drum machine designer a lot! LPX features and instrument capabilities run deep and I'm continually amazed with what this DAW is capable of. Really outstanding.

MeeMac

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2013
This Should Help

"Realtime rendering of fades allow them to work with Flex Pitch..."

I always wondered why this was not already available.

CalMin

Contributor
Nov 8, 2007

Dirty Harry

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2004
Valencia, SPAIN
I have been a professional video editor for the past twenty years and a semi-pro musician for about the same time…

I’ve always used Avid Media Composer for video editing and many times I’ve thought of getting into Pro Tools to expand my editing skills. But the thing is I tried Logic and I found it suits much more my music needs, specially because of its midi and score editor (no matter what Avid claims, the score editor in Pro Tools is far from Sibelius, and rewiring sucks).

I don´t want to use two different DAWs. I want to keep it simple.

The dilemma ended with Media Composer 8 now supporting AAX plugins, that is, what Pro Tools uses. For my audio mixing for video (wich includes broadcast promos and documentaries) I don´t need to go to such a big program as Pro Tools anymore.

In brief, I use Media Composer for video editing AND for broadcast mixing of audio for video. I use Logic to compose and record music.

:p

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.