Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VictorVictor5

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2014
um, how's that going to work (calling Apple support)? First, this is a hacked system, since it's unsupported according to official Apple standards. Even if that's not the case, Apple Care expired on this rig years ago. So I wouldn't be able to use that number (I don't think).

Isn't there a file I can edit on my end, like a plist file or something?

Jalu

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2004
um, how's that going to work (calling Apple support)? First, this is a hacked system, since it's unsupported according to official Apple standards. Even if that's not the case, Apple Care expired on this rig years ago. So I wouldn't be able to use that number (I don't think).

Isn't there a file I can edit on my end, like a plist file or something?

Nope, you really need to call Apple Support, it's blocked server-side. And the fact that it's a 'hacked' system doesn't really seem to matter, me and others in this thread have been able to get it enabled by calling Support. Just be very clear that you're calling about an iCloud issue, not a hardware or software issue.

bergs4

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2012
I have gotten to the very last step of the MLpostfactor install where I am supposed to boot Mountain Lion from the partition labeled "ML." However, whenever I attempt to do this, I get stuck on the grey screen with the apple symbol and grey spinning wheel. Any ideas why this might be happening? Thanks in advance!

shumr2261

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2015
macbook air 1,1

Just tried booting up via USB.. and it wouldn't boot.. something about legacy bootloader?

VictorVictor5

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2014
Hey everybody,

So now I am stumped - I called Apple multiple times since my FaceTime and iMessage won't work as suggested on this board. Again, it's an iMac 4,1 with a C2D upgrade (5,1). I told them I used this method per advice in this post and to add my board ID and S/N. Nothing doing. Of course they want to run me through all of the troubleshooting which isn't the problem, but they keep asking me about this validation code. That doesn't show up.

I have 10.8.5 on here. Do I need to reinstall and see if it does the same thing on 10.8.4? I did repatch 10.8.5 with MLPF. In 10.7.5 I/my relative was good to go, but now nothing.

Do I somehow need to edit that PlatformSupport.plist like I did in 10.7?

Thanks!
VV5

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
I have some trouble getting the "2015-001" security update to stick. I understand that it's not supposed to work anyways. But the regular set SystemVersion.plist (12F45 & 10.8.5), install patch, run MLPostFactor from installation partition, does not seem to satisfy the App Store check wether or not it is installed.

Is it just that because the installation fails at the end, the BOM does not get written so the package 'is not installed' ?

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
I have some trouble getting the "2015-001" security update to stick. I understand that it's not supposed to work anyways. But the regular set SystemVersion.plist (12F45 & 10.8.5), install patch, run MLPostFactor from installation partition, does not seem to satisfy the App Store check wether or not it is installed.

Is it just that because the installation fails at the end, the BOM does not get written so the package 'is not installed' ?

I have the same issue, currently I installed all the 10.8.5 updates except that one so I can use my mac pro. Any advice would be appreciated

Henk Poley

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
I have the same issue, currently I installed all the 10.8.5 updates except that one so I can use my mac pro. Any advice would be appreciated

I've used Pacifist to install the ML 2015-001 patch. Then did the Install-partition dance to get everything in working order again. Now the patch does not show up in the App Store anymore.

Last edited:

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
The Security Update 2015-001 can be applied on a MLPF 10.8.5 installation as long as the following actions are undertaken before subsequent reboot:
1) replace new ML kernel v12.6.0 by DP1's v12.0.0 (so keep a backup before installing the update)
2) replace new System.kext v12.6.0 by DP1's v12.0.0 (again keep a backup beforehand)

Unless those replacements are done, the MLPF installation will be unbootable.

The files are available here.

Last edited:

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
Yes, DP1. You are aware that MLPF returns any ML installation to 32/64bit core status using DP1's kernel/kexts + Lion 10.7.5. kext/OpenGL-CL frameworks, aren't you? That's what makes this all work on obsolete unsupported Macs.

Last edited:

RV-ABZ

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2013
DP=Developpers Preview.

ML DP1 was the 1st preview release that got out to developpers in Feb 2012. It came with 32/64bit kernel and kexts (as per SL and Lion). From DP2 onwards, kernels and kexts went 64bit only.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Great thank you for the explanation

The link you provided unfortunately will not let me download the files, it links to a site which says I need to log in

Last edited:

Commandor

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2012
I have installed the 2015-001 security update with pacifist, and then replaced the mentioned two file.

But My Macbook Pro 2,2 stuck at the white apple and kept spinning after rebooting, until I re-applied MLPF.

And the 2015-001 still existed in the update area….

Any suggestion?

The Security Update 2015-001 can be applied on a MLPF 10.8.5 installation as long as the following actions are undertaken before subsequent reboot:
1) replace new ML kernel v12.6.0 by DP1's v12.0.0 (so keep a backup before installing the update)
2) replace new System.kext v12.6.0 by DP1's v12.0.0 (again keep a backup beforehand)

Unless those replacements are done, the MLPF installation be unbootable.

The files are available here.

Last edited:

VictorVictor5

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2014
Ok, Apple support is not willing to help, even though I gave them their :mad::mad::mad::mad: code. They say that 10.8 is not supported on an early iMac 2006 and can't run FaceTime. Funny thing is that I have 10.8 on here courtesy of MLPF, and other users can use FaceTime using MLPF with the same Mac but apparently not me.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks!
VV5

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
Ok, Apple support is not willing to help, even though I gave them their :mad::mad::mad::mad: code. They say that 10.8 is not supported on an early iMac 2006 and can't run FaceTime. Funny thing is that I have 10.8 on here courtesy of MLPF, and other users can use FaceTime using MLPF with the same Mac but apparently not me.

Anything else I can try?

Thanks!
VV5

It's not working anymore. My parents using my old iMac (Early 2006), with 10.8, and Facetime/iMessage stopped working 4 months ago ( https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/20423135/ ). I have to talk with Apple Engineers many times, but the final result is, Facetime and iMessage not compatible with my configuration. I checked with a fresh 10.6 install, it's working in 10.6, but not working with fresh 10.8 install. When i have enough time, i have a plan, to try some hackintosh bootloaders, with faked serials/uuids/etc. I checked Clover, and it's seems to boot fine 10.8 on this aging iMac.

VictorVictor5

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2014
Czo,

Thanks for the response. I have two questions for you.

1.) I'm a bit of a noob, and I've heard of Clover before. What is it exactly? An alternative to MLPF or something else?

2.) Since you said Clover boots 10.8 just fine, does it enable Facetime to work on it, or are you still having the same issue?

Thanks!
VV5

Czo

macrumors 6502
Dec 30, 2008
Debrecen, Hungary
Czo,

Thanks for the response. I have two questions for you.

1.) I'm a bit of a noob, and I've heard of Clover before. What is it exactly? An alternative to MLPF or something else?

2.) Since you said Clover boots 10.8 just fine, does it enable Facetime to work on it, or are you still having the same issue?

Thanks!
VV5

I'm not using MLPF anymore. Simply installed 10.8 (version from App Store), with small modifications.
- updated PlatformSupport.plist (inserted my model id and board id)
- copied ATI X1600 kexts from 10.7 (this works with 64bit kernel too)
- copied OpenCL and OpenGL frameworks from 10.7
- installed VoodooHDA audio driver

Now it's boots with 64bit 10.8.5 kernel with this modifications on my iMac Early 2006.

I also replaced iMac4,1 firmware with iMac5,1 to allow 3GB memory (2x2GB modules).

Clover is a bootloader for pc based hackintosh systems, but it's can boot OS X on real mac, and i think, it's can help to fix things on my frankenmac systems. More info: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1740775/

Currently i don't have time, to check this, because i live another city, and when i'm going to my parents on weekends, the time is not enough to handle this problem. Maybe anyone can try some idea from this posts.

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
DP=Developpers Preview.

ML DP1 was the 1st preview release that got out to developpers in Feb 2012. It came with 32/64bit kernel and kexts (as per SL and Lion). From DP2 onwards, kernels and kexts went 64bit only.

I tried what you asked and my mac pro simply gets stuck at the apple logo with spinning wheel. Am I missing something

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.