Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pike908

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Boulder, CO
I just acquired a used Apple TV 3 on Craigslist. It appears to be working fine, as I successfully connected it to my wifi and watched a netflix movie.

there are only about 30 channels listed on it -- mostly the biggies. It was my understanding that it should contain almost as many channels as a Roku 3 -- which I also own. I went online and saw that there should be channels for A&E, Fox Now, CNBC and many, many more which aren't listed on my Apple TV.

I am in the process of resetting it to see if that makes all the channels appear.

Any other suggestions?? Oh, and the reset is taking forever. It says it has 2 hours remaining and I have good broadband -- about 40mps.

Thanks!

pike908

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Boulder, CO
Looks like a factory reset and software update fixed the problem.

It appears that there are many, many more channels on Roku 3, however.

And Apple should just get over themselves and put Amazon Prime on Apple TV.

The only reason I can think they don't is because perhaps Prime rents or sells movies cheaper than Apple. I haven't checked. I know many Amazon Albums are cheaper than Itunes.

It's about making your customers happy, Apple. Not p*ssing contests with competitors. I do own and Iphone and Ipad -- no Mac (Window 8.1)

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
Looks like a factory reset and software update fixed the problem.

It appears that there are many, many more channels on Roku 3, however.

And Apple should just get over themselves and put Amazon Prime on Apple TV.

The only reason I can think they don't is because perhaps Prime rents or sells movies cheaper than Apple. I haven't checked. I know many Amazon Albums are cheaper than Itunes.

It's about making your customers happy, Apple. Not p*ssing contests with competitors. I do own and Iphone and Ipad -- no Mac (Window 8.1)

You are of the thought that it is Apple preventing Amazon from adding their Prime service on the Apple TV. It could just be that it is Amazon themselves that don't want their service on that device. Unless you have some press release stating that, then you are just guessing.

Reactions: GreginNJ

pike908

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2015
Boulder, CO
Thanks to responses from all. Apple TV is a nice product, and Airplay from what I can tell is a very unique feature. I never insinuated Apple misrepresented their product. I am somewhat new to streaming, and had access to a Roku 3 prior to obtaining an Apple TV. I imagined that Roku 3 had more content, I was just surprised how much more. The Apple TV does contain a wide variety of channels from many solid and respected brands.

I obtained a used Apple TV from CL, and once I did a reset and updated the software everything is as it should be.

And I seriously doubt Amazon is preventing Apple from being on Apple TV, lol. But I suppose it is possible:)

And I was aware that Amazon Prime wasn't on the Apple TV prior to my purchase.

naples98

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2008
Houston
And I seriously doubt Amazon is preventing Apple from being on Apple TV, lol. But I suppose it is possible:)

And I was aware that Amazon Prime wasn't on the Apple TV prior to my purchase.

Amazon's Fire TV is a direct competitor of Apple TV so Amazon wants to sell you its hardware. I suspect this is the reason Amazon Prime is not on Apple TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.