Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Big Byte

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 7, 2009
I'm running Yosemite on a late 2011 MacBook Pro.

Recently, I've noticed that Mac Mail has become very slow. I'm beginning to think that this is because of a mailbox folder I created in which I keep documents that I have scanned and emailed to myself. In this folder, I have almost 400 emails of scanned documents. Whenever I try to "open" this folder, the beach ball icon appears and my computer slows down considerably.

I would like to remove this folder from Mail (and save it elsewhere), but I do not know where to find it on my hard drive.

Does anybody know where user created email mailbox folders are stored on the hard drive?

Further, can I open up individual emails from the folder (in order to see which emails I want to keep) without opening them up in Mac Mail (so I do not run into the same problem described above)?

Alternatively, if someone thinks that my Mac slowing down does not have anything to do with this folder of scanned documents, I would like to hear what they have to say.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.