Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gpp

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
is there a web sight some where i can get a better under standing on how all this photo streaming,iCloud,all photos,camera roll,and so on work.it seams like everything on each devices works different to a point that it gets confusing.main problem is deleting pictures and what uploads and where to.a delete all button would help but that aint happening so how about helping an old man out.imac,iPhone and iPads are all running the latest programing and updates.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
So you want to understand the mess they call "iCloud"?
Best of luck to you :D

gpp

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2008
i understand most of it but somethings i just end up doing trial and error.after everything is backed up of course.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Giving it the name "cloud" seems rather appropriate now. :)

Personally, I turn as much of it OFF as possible. I sync contacts, calendars, reminders and notes across Mac, iPhone and iPad. That's it. I don't have time to figure out what the rest is up to - so it stays off.

As an experiment, I once set up photo syncing and a few other features on a spare iPhone and Mac account. I created a separate Apple ID just to play around with. I never really got comfortable with it. (That, and it guzzled rather a lot of data from a limited data plan.)

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Giving it the name "cloud" seems rather appropriate now. :)

Personally, I turn as much of it OFF as possible. I sync contacts, calendars, reminders and notes across Mac, iPhone and iPad. That's it. I don't have time to figure out what the rest is up to - so it stays off.

As an experiment, I once set up photo syncing and a few other features on a spare iPhone and Mac account. I created a separate Apple ID just to play around with. I never really got comfortable with it. (That, and it guzzled rather a lot of data from a limited data plan.)

Is it really that hard to figure out what the rest does? Photos syncs photos. Safari syncs your browsing experience (bookmarks, reading lists, and tabs). Find my iPhone....finds your iPhone (if lost). Backup....backs up your device (daily and automatically). And Keychain syncs any saved passwords or credit cards you've used in Safari. Maybe with the exception of Keychain, everything else seems pretty self explanatory. And photos is still half baked for now since Apple hasn't yet released the counterpart app on the Mac.

iCloud Drive is a little ambiguous at the moment, but it's basically just an online drive that syncs it's contents between your Mac and iOS device. On a Mac running Yosemite, it shows up just like any other drive or folder, on the left sidebar of any Finder window. But since iOS doesn't have Finder, it's not readily apparant, and is only accessible within apps that support it.

Last edited:

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
Is it really that hard to figure out what the rest does? Photos syncs photos. Safari syncs your browsing experience (bookmarks, reading lists, and tabs). Find my iPhone....finds your iPhone (if lost). Backup....backs up your device (daily and automatically). And Keychain syncs any saved passwords or credit cards you've used in Safari. Maybe with the exception of Keychain, everything else seems pretty self explanatory. And photos is still half baked for now since Apple hasn't yet released the counterpart app on the Mac.

iCloud Drive may be the only real ambiguous feature of iCloud at the moment as its not readily apparent on iOS as it is on the Mac. But it's basically just an online drive that syncs it's contents between your Mac and iOS device. On a Mac running Yosemite, it shows up just like any other drive or folder, on the left sidebar of any Finder window. But since iOS doesn't have Finder, iCloud Drive is only accessible within apps that so support it.

Thanks for all that.

When I said, "I really don't have time to figure out what the rest is up to", I was using, "up to", in the colloquial sense of, "... what mischief might it be up to?"

Such as:
  • Getting me hooked with 5GB of easy-to-use free cloud storage, which draws me into paying ever more for additional storage at some point in the future. That, or forcing me to migrate away later - with the attendant hassle.
  • Locking my information into repositories that might be difficult for me to migrate away from at some later date.
  • Wasting data-plan bytes to sync all sorts of stuff that I really don't need to be in sync.
  • Having me adapt to Apple's current way of doing things and structuring my workflow around that, only to have it changed later because Apple decide they want to do things differently.

That sort of stuff. The unknowns. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.