Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TekGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Hey

Does anyone know if i remove any of the apple preinstalled apps like Keynote, Garageband etc will i be able to reinstall at a later date if i wanted to? I don't have any use for them at the moment so taking up unnecessary disk space, they show in app store under purchases so should imagine it would not be a problem to install from app store if i ever wanted to but want to just double check.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
If they're on your purchase tab, you'll just need to re-download them.

Of course, I'll make the ubiquitous comment of backing up your system to ensure you don't lose your data - in this case your apps.

TekGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
If they're on your purchase tab, you'll just need to re-download them.

Of course, I'll make the ubiquitous comment of backing up your system to ensure you don't lose your data - in this case your apps.

Yeah they are there in purchase tab but just wanted to double check, regarding backup time machine backs up wirelessly to my SSD plugged in to my router :)

Been backing up since 08th December 2014 lol... I just love time machine :D

Thank you.

Last edited:

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Yeah they are there in purchase tab but just wanted to double check, regarding backup time machine backs up wirelessly to my SSD plugged in to my router :)

Been backing up since 08th December 2014 lol... I just love time machine :D

Thank you.

You might get yourself an inexpensive spinning disk rather than an SSD for backup. The Apple routers are slow enough that there is no performance gain to be had using SSD on them.

TekGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
You might get yourself an inexpensive spinning disk rather than an SSD for backup. The Apple routers are slow enough that there is no performance gain to be had using SSD on them.

Hi i own an Asus RT-AC68U router not an apple router. Also i would have used an HDD but i bought the SSD about 7 months ago for my windows laptop which it was used in but i no longer have a windows laptop so it was left doing nothing, i could sell it and get a WD NAS, Synology NAS or something that be more suitable for me as could be used for both time machine and media, plus will save space on rMPR then too, i may sell my samsung ssd and what i get for the ssd could go towards a NAS :)

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
I don't have any use for them at the moment so taking up unnecessary disk space,
Garageband: 185Mb
Keynote: 200Mb
Calendar: 47Mb
Contacts: 29Mb
DVD Player: 29Mb
Image Capture: 4MB
Pages: 220Mb
etc, etc.

As you can see, they take up very little disc space. If you are that short on space, then you need to clear out a lot more than just a few small applications.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
As you can see, they take up very little disc space. If you are that short on space, then you need to clear out a lot more than just a few small applications.

"Very little" is a matter of perspective. If you're tight on space (such as with the 64 and 128GB laptops) and will never use these apps, there's no good reason to keep them around.

TekGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 30, 2014
Garageband: 185Mb
Keynote: 200Mb
Calendar: 47Mb
Contacts: 29Mb
DVD Player: 29Mb
Image Capture: 4MB
Pages: 220Mb
etc, etc.

err garage band in applications was nearly 2GB and i not even ever opened it, keynote was few hundred MB if i remember rite.

I'm not low on disk space got plenty 400GB free just don't like having stuff on my system that i don't use. Also as my sig shows i got a rMBP (mid 2014). :)

Cheers.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Definitely only 185Mb on my Mac.

1.42GB for version 10.0.3, plus a bunch more for related files that get downloaded separately and aren't in the Applications folder. Pages, Keynote, and Numbers are another 1.71GB.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.