Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hikarie

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
I currently have all my music on my NAS and my itunes can find the server no problem.

In order to allow playlist creation and sycing, I have added the server directory to library without creating a local copy (manual organization).

The problem I'm having now is what to do when I add new music. Do I just choose "Add to library..." and rescan the entire drive again? I started this but canceled because it seemed like it was going through every file again. I wasn't sure if it was creating duplicates or just scanning.

Diastro

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2010
Veldhoven, the Netherlands
I have this set up as well, and the way I do it is I have iTunes set to NOT create a local copy of everything, but to DO manage the library as it sees fit. Then I simply drag and drop all my new music to the "Automatically add to iTunes" folder on the NAS and if iTunes is running: voila! The library is updated neatly.

EDIT: But to be honest with you, I don't think it makes that much of a difference if you just use the "Add to library" function in iTunes itself. It's basically the same functionality if you have properly specified the location of your library.

EDIT2: So my actual advice for you is this:
You CAN do both ways, but when you use the "Add to library" function, JUST select the folder that contains the specific file or files you want to add. No need to select your entire music folder.

hikarie

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2010
EDIT2: So my actual advice for you is this:
You CAN do both ways, but when you use the "Add to library" function, JUST select the folder that contains the specific file or files you want to add. No need to select your entire music folder.

Thank you. I don't like itunes organizing my files so this seems good. Just for reference if I select my entire music folder, it shouldn't create duplicates right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.