Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SkotiPati

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2015
Hello everybody,

I tried the usual factory reset procedure with my new Mac but have a serious problem with it.

I used cmd + R, entered disk utility, and tried erasing Macintosh HD but had the "Unable to delete the core storage logical volume" error so I can not reinstall the OS.

In disk utility I see 2 Macintosh HD one inside the other. They have unusual formats like logical volume group.

How can I factory reset a new iMac with fusion drive?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 714

ssls6

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2013
Hello everybody,

I tried the usual factory reset procedure with my new Mac but have a serious problem with it.

I used cmd + R, entered disk utility, and tried erasing Macintosh HD but had the "Unable to delete the core storage logical volume" error so I can not reinstall the OS.

In disk utility I see 2 Macintosh HD one inside the other. They have unusual formats like logical volume group.

How can I factory reset a new iMac with fusion drive?

You can only delete the core storage volume (to my knowledge) from the command line. Inside the command shell you basically break the fusion into 2 and then refuse it.

Did you select the "2nd" Macintosh HD entry and hit "erase"? The one that indented?

SkotiPati

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2015
You can only delete the core storage volume (to my knowledge) from the command line. Inside the command shell you basically break the fusion into 2 and then refuse it.

Did you select the "2nd" Macintosh HD entry and hit "erase"? The one that indented?

Thanks you ssls6,

Yes I tried the second Macintosh HD and got the error.

From my further scan through many forums I think I need to do this:

(please verify these procedures if you can)

1) Open the computer with "cmd + R"

2) Open Terminal

3) diskutil cs delete <Paste UUID of Logical Volume>

4) diskutil cs delete <Paste UUID of Logical Volume Group>

5) Go into Disk Utility

6) Let the Disk Utility fix the Fusion drive from scratch

7) Reinstall the OS to the new Fusion Drive

Some web sites only tell me to delete Logical Volume Group but others say that you need to first delete the Logical Volume and then the Logical Volume Group.

It's all French to me :)

If someone verifies this action list, I'll do it.

Thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Don't worry about the UUID. Just do this to nuke the CS volume. Type it exactly like this including the quotes.

Code:
diskutil cs delete "Macintosh HD"

SkotiPati

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2015
Don't worry about the UUID. Just do this to nuke the CS volume. Type it exactly like this including the quotes.

Code:
diskutil cs delete "Macintosh HD"

Are you sure?

Because there are 2 Macintosh HD originally created by Apple. One has Format of Logical Volume Group, the other Logical Partition.

With the code you recommend which one will be erased?

From what I understand you have to delete them in order to completely format both the HD and the SSD of the Fusion drive in iMac. And then let Disk Utility to create a Fusion Drive from 2 empty drives by Fixing.

thanks weaselboy :)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 16.30.36.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-26 at 16.30.36.png
    59.6 KB · Views: 896
Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Are you sure?

Yes... trust me, I'm from the Internet. :p

That is just one hard drive as you know, and it looks that way because of the virtual (logical) drive created by the core storage conversion for Fusion.

When you run that command they will both be gone and you will be left with the drive itself showing and no formatted partitions.

SkotiPati

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2015
Weaselboy you are my sunshine! :)
Thanks a lot.

I think I did it. The only difference from the original Apple structure is there are no longer 2 macintosh HD drives one being the volume geoup the other being the partition.

Now group is called Internai Drive. Partition is Macintosh HD.

Also originally disk0 was SSD and disk1 was HD. Now its the reverse.

I attached the final structure. Is everything ok? I think it is.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 675
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.