Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

qsch1

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Hi please see attached screenshot. These files have been deleted manually and also through Avast (the program that discovered them) and they keep coming back. Don't know what to do to permanently solve this problem. They seem to always be in a new folder apple created starting with 8BD11 etc etc. Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 10.04.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 10.04.10 AM.png
    365.7 KB · Views: 323

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It looks like that file is part of the trash folder for a Mail IMAP account. I suspect the IMAP server is pushing the message back to the Mail app each time you delete that file (just a guess).

Can you just go the Mail app and delete everything in the trash folder? That looks like it would include that message.

qsch1

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
It looks like that file is part of the trash folder for a Mail IMAP account. I suspect the IMAP server is pushing the message back to the Mail app each time you delete that file (just a guess).

Can you just go the Mail app and delete everything in the trash folder? That looks like it would include that message.

Hi thank you Weaselboy! I have deleted the trash numerous times and even went into the source and deleted those files and still they keep coming back in that folder. I just made another scan on my computer and received another one again (this time at a different path). Kindly have a look at screenshot.

Regards, Quirin

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 4.47.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-01-19 at 4.47.07 PM.png
    198.2 KB · Views: 125

qsch1

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
It seems that it is putting the virus in the private/tmp/ file...

simonsi

Contributor
Jan 3, 2014
Auckland
My guess is that you haven't emptied the IMAP trash even though you have deleted the message so:

Delete the message in Mail
Empty the Mail trash
Close Mail
Run Avast
Delete any files it finds
Empty Trash
Reboot (this is for belt and braces)

Hopefully then it will be gone.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
It seems that it is putting the virus in the private/tmp/ file...

I believe that is where OS X store some swap/cache files and that may be why you are seeing the files there. I like simonsi's process for getting rid of it.

qsch1

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
Hey any help at all, anyone know of this virus and how to get it cleaned...

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
The ironic thing here, is that this is probably Windows malware that won't affect the Mac at all.

Try temporarily disabling Avast, then following simonsi's process.

qsch1

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2013
You don't have the virus itself, you have infected mail attachment files. Did you follow the steps I gave you?

Hi Simonsi, Yes I followed the exact steps you gave to me. I did it two times just to make sure and actually did similar before you said.

There also seems to be one in /private/tmp/... That also came before and then I deleted it but then it reappeared.

After deleting the files and I check it again with AVAST it says there is nothing but then they magically reappear about 12 - 24 hours after.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.