Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

revanmj

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
Poland
Honestly I don't get why anyone would want to buy it. You get only Mac version of the game and only singleplayer mode. While buying it on Origin gets you both PC and Mac versions, with both multiplayer and singleplayer modes.

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
Honestly I don't get why anyone would want to buy it. You get only Mac version of the game and only singleplayer mode. While buying it on Origin gets you both PC and Mac versions, with both multiplayer and singleplayer modes.

Fair point but I am looking to steer this thread towards people that have played it vs. if you would purchase it.

xSinghx

Suspended
Oct 2, 2012

Because you need Origin perhaps...

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
I haven't played it, but I think you can play a free trial version through Origin. However the trial is for Windows only. I think it gives you 4 hours free trial from the first time you launch the game.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Screw the new SimCity. Total garbage. EA have destroyed that franchise (along with many others).

miniMOJOman

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2015
I have the complete edition, its pretty fun, although in my opinion without a friend or two to play it with its not the best it could be. You really need a few people in the region communicating with each other so you can develop each cities specialization.

ELMI0001

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 5, 2009
Olympic Hills GC
Yes....I just bought it and didn't really how small the city size is. I want to recreate like NYC and whatnot and it is simply not possible

That was gonna be my main question - city size.

Have you played SC4 recently? How much smaller is a city in the newest version vs. the largest cities in SC4?

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
its unbelievably small

I even thought SC4 was small after playing sim city 3000

I have heard a lot of complaints about the size of the map. You would think it would be easy to mod/patch to make the map size bigger (officially or otherwise).... but maybe not!

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
What I would like to know is if this is an Aspyr native port or if Aspyr is simply publishing the cider port. Maybe I am wrong but I thought the EA release on Origin was a cider port wasn't it?

garnerx

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2012
I have heard a lot of complaints about the size of the map. You would think it would be easy to mod/patch to make the map size bigger (officially or otherwise).... but maybe not!

The map size is what stopped me playing (after about 50 hours). It's just impossible to make a really impressive self-contained city. If you have any hills and water on the map, then the essential service buildings take up about 20% of your total space.

You have to make separate 'cities' (they're more like villages, really) to supply various things. I had one city that did mining, one that supplied oil, one that supplied water and another that was just a giant garbage dump. All of them were subsidised by my main high tech city.

I'd have to load up each individual city to check on things. Sometimes the link-ups between cities would fail for no reason, so there would be shortages. Eventually I had a random nuclear accident and the whole place was irradiated, with no way back to an older save.

Fun while it lasted, but I've never gone back.

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
What I would like to know is if this is an Aspyr native port or if Aspyr is simply publishing the cider port. Maybe I am wrong but I thought the EA release on Origin was a cider port wasn't it?
It's native. The Origin version also was. Cider is - luckily - on its way out.

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
It's native. The Origin version also was. Cider is - luckily - on its way out.

Thank you. I wasn't aware of that.

I hope you are right and Transgaming is on the way out with it. I've never forgiven them for throwing the linux users under the bus who funded them when they were starting out. I was one of those linux users back then.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Thank you. I wasn't aware of that.

I hope you are right and Transgaming is on the way out with it. I've never forgiven them for throwing the linux users under the bus who funded them when they were starting out. I was one of those linux users back then.

Yep, totally native and we spent a few months with the code to ensure its up to our standards. To be honest, the base native code was quite good. The majority of our work focused on making it available as an offline version for the MAS.

We too are happy to see less TG "ports" ;)

Dirtyharry50

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2012
Yep, totally native and we spent a few months with the code to ensure its up to our standards. To be honest, the base native code was quite good. The majority of our work focused on making it available as an offline version for the MAS.

We too are happy to see less TG "ports" ;)

Thanks Blair. Love you guys. This looks fun to me and personally I consider taking it offline a good thing. I'm also fine with smaller cities myself and maybe having supporting ones as needed. Guess I will learn about that when I get it. I can appreciate some people wanting a different experience but I'm not really up for building another New York from the ground up myself. lol

I remember playing the very first Sim City when it was a brand new release. Good times. I don't know if you would remember them but I was a manager for an Egghead Software store in Boston all those years ago and we played it on the computers at work all in the name of product knowledge of course! I don't remember playing with Lotus 1-2-3, WordPerfect or dBase III that much though. I guess we were too busy learning about other software. ;)

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
It's unavoidable. More and more games require DirectX 10 or higher and Cider/Wine simply can't handle that. And from the current state of DX10 support in Wine, it's still several years until compatibility is halfway acceptable. DX11 is even completely unsupported, and there are already quite a few games where that's the minimum.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
I remember playing the very first Sim City when it was a brand new release. Good times. I don't know if you would remember them but I was a manager for an Egghead Software store in Boston all those years ago and we played it on the computers at work all in the name of product knowledge of course! I don't remember playing with Lotus 1-2-3, WordPerfect or dBase III that much though. I guess we were too busy learning about other software. ;)

Happy days! SimCity was also one of my first true time sink games. I would earn game time with my 9th grade Calc teacher (squarely giving my age away). She would grade papers and let me play it on her IIGS (or maybe it was a IIe, cant remember) until she left for the day. :apple:

alkar

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2008
is it normal that maximum resolution here is 1600x1200 on my imac late 2013 ?!?

Surfheart

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010

Ugh, I stupidly bought this.. $50 Australian off the MAS.

The highest res I can go that is still 16:9 is 1600x900 which of course looks horrible on my 27" cinema display.

Is it possible to override the MAS version to allow a higher resolution?

Edit: Needless to say, this runs like garbage, even at it's forced lower resolution, in comparison to the game under Windows on the exact same hardware. The status quo continues...

Last edited:

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Ugh, I stupidly bought this.. $50 Australian off the MAS.

The highest res I can go that is still 16:9 is 1600x900 which of course looks horrible on my 27" cinema display.

Is it possible to override the MAS version to allow a higher resolution?

Edit: Needless to say, this runs like garbage, even at it's forced lower resolution, in comparison to the game under Windows on the exact same hardware. The status quo continues...

You can force the resolution...but then you will see why its res locked on both PC and Mac ;)

Launch the game from Terminal and type the following:

/Applications/SimCity.app/Contents/MacOS/SimCity -r:whatever you want it to be

If you can get past the main menu without throwing your computer...you have a much stronger will than I do :apple:

Surfheart

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2010
You can force the resolution...but then you will see why its res locked on both PC and Mac ;)

Launch the game from Terminal and type the following:

/Applications/SimCity.app/Contents/MacOS/SimCity -r:whatever you want it to be

If you can get past the main menu without throwing your computer...you have a much stronger will than I do :apple:

Thanks Blair,

it's actually quite playable @2560x1440 on my MacPro with D700s under OS X with mostly max settings... still not as smooth as it is in Windows though.

Aspyr-Blair

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2012
Austin Tx
Thanks Blair,

it's actually quite playable @2560x1440 on my MacPro with D700s under OS X with mostly max settings... still not as smooth as it is in Windows though.

My pleasure, and now I know why you are having such a performance disparity. Unfortunately the drivers for those D700's are...ahem...lacking :/ To be fair, they werent designed for gaming and as such the software support wont be either...but still.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.