Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay

Attachments

• IMG_5970.JPG
    IMG_5970.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 259

Artimus12

macrumors 6502a
Nov 13, 2011
YooKay
This concerns the heck out of me and makes me wonder if I should get rid of my retina, and wait for the next one. I bought it a month ago and plan on getting extended care. But if it happens, I can get it fixed under apple care, and it will just happen again. Then when I go to sell it, value will drop significantly due to any marks that may be there.

Anyone with late 2014 MBPr having this issue?
I think the problem with waiting for the next-gen of just about any product is that manufacturing processes tend to get cheaper than previous models to save money - I'm sure they'll find something they'll feel we can "do without" before the next release. Of course, there's no guarantee that the upgrade won't have other issues for a time either.

If this happened to mine & I couldn't get it repaired under warranty, I'd probably try to get rid of the coating on the whole screen to make it at least look uniform.

that's a nice lamp, who makes it?
you have P.M.

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
I think the problem with waiting for the next-gen of just about any product is that manufacturing processes tend to get cheaper than previous models to save money - I'm sure they'll find something they'll feel we can "do without" before the next release. Of course, there's no guarantee that the upgrade won't have other issues for a time either.

If this happened to mine & I couldn't get it repaired under warranty, I'd probably try to get rid of the coating on the whole screen to make it at least look uniform.

you have P.M.

True. Yea, I was thinking the same about getting rid of all of the coating. Hopefully by then, they'll be selling the screens on eBay, like the Pros.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
These thin MacBooks flex slightly when in bags etc just as Airs do. Get one of those microfibre cloths that sit between the keys and the screen: Radtech or Shaggy do them. This will help protect the overly fragile coating. I think this might be what starts the flaking, then cleaning worsens it.

I had to replace my Air due to this (not coating, but screen damage from the keyboard). The Genius said it was superficial damage not covered. I brought up a white screen and said look- it's made the screen go yellow there.
'I can't see it,' he replied.
'Stare longer, you will.'
'Oh yeah,' he said, 'I see it now. I'll replace the unit.'

There was no yellow. I am a Jedi master. Apple should ship the microfibre protectors with the MacBooks. I emailed with my excellent suggestion. They did not listen. I have yet to master the Jedi way via email.

PS I haven't even watched Starwars. I'm just gifted. Or special, as momma says.

Gifted at lying, so that you can try and get something at another's expense? In my opinion, that is not something to be proud of much less brag about.

wj2

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2015
I had the exact same problem, and I followed the cleaning instructions on the apple website; a lint free cloth and a small amount of water. Was trying to remove a mark in the corner of my screen and a shiny scratch appeared on the bezel. It grew in size and it looked like the coating on the bezel was coming off like everyone is saying. Started happening at the top of my display by the camera also. I looked it up and stumbled across this same forum and realised that it was a problem that I should take up with apple.

I talked to an apple operator and they told me to take it into to an apple retailer. So I took it into YOOBEE (my country's apple retailer) and they said that they'd replace the display under the warranty! I didn't even have to argue my point that I didn't do anything wrong like I thought I would have had to :p I seriously thought they would blame me after seeing the responses others were getting on this forum! They replaced the display it within the week.

I looked at my customer report after I got it back and they said under the fault that it was a "glue residue. See PRI", whatever that means. But the guy that helped me said he had seen it before so it proves this is not a one off thing. It is obviously a manufacturing default. Don't believe those who say "you should be careful with how you clean it" because that's not the real problem. That's an excuse. At my apple retailer they were cleaning their screens with screen cleaners that they sold so.... If you cleaned your display like the way it was instructed by apple and you still have this problem it's not your fault at all. It's a problem with the laptop. Plus, if you're paying that kind of money for a laptop you'd expect it to withstand cleaning with the cloth they give you and some water! :D (i'm still probably going to invest in a screen protector this time around though, just to be sure ahahah)

Anyway, just thought I should share my experience with this problem and receiving a good resolution to it! Hope others will get this problem solved also!

(I live in New Zealand by the way)

toxicity033

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2014
i was pretty concerned about this as I am just about to buy a MBP so I went to best buy to take a look at the display models, and they all looked like they had the scratched coating on the screens :(

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
My opinion, and mine only:

Sounds like Apple's designers -- trying to be "the innovators" -- thought that they could get away with a micro-thin anti-glare coating, perhaps a bit "thinner" than others are using.

Regardless of the amount of "pre-manufacture testing" that goes on, a new technology never really gets fully-tested and proven until it's out in the real world, in the hands of actual users.

It looks like the coating that Apple decided to use just isn't up to the task.
Looks GREAT at first -- but it doesn't last...

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
I received my Moshi iVisor Pro screen protector! the application is as easy as stated, BUT ...it makes my gorgeous Retina look like an old Cathode Ray Tube display! it's disgusting and needless to say, I took it off after 5 minutes.

edit: added images = raw screen on the left of the black band\Moshi on the right

I used this for a few months on my old cMBP, took it off to clean the screen under, then realized how much better my screen looked without it and never put the screen protector back on. Although physically a great screen protector, it just reduces screen quality WAY too much.

----------

My opinion, and mine only:

Sounds like Apple's designers -- trying to be "the innovators" -- thought that they could get away with a micro-thin anti-glare coating, perhaps a bit "thinner" than others are using.

Regardless of the amount of "pre-manufacture testing" that goes on, a new technology never really gets fully-tested and proven until it's out in the real world, in the hands of actual users.

It looks like the coating that Apple decided to use just isn't up to the task.
Looks GREAT at first -- but it doesn't last...

The common theme I see throughout the thread from people who have issues is using a liquid in conjunction with a microfiber cloth creates problems. I use a large cloth to wipe screens and haven't any issues. Avoiding continuously touch the screen will keep heavy dirt from getting on it, and a simple wipe from a cloth will be sufficient.

Apple clearly designed and tested for the screen to be cleaned without liquid.

Compliment

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2015
Same problem I got also. When I bought my MB it was very little line in the bottom of the screen. Never did with it anything. (becouse i had no idea that the screen can peel off... :apple: :mad:) Now I have it as it is in picture. :confused:

By the way never used any liquids or water, just original cloth.

MB still on warranty - so I will see how they do with it in Lithuania. Let you know soon.

P.S. pictures shows the "spot" that it could be the start for the problem. - and its nothing about the cleaning perhaps.

sh happens.jpg ops.jpg

Last edited:

BoneDaddy

Suspended
Jan 8, 2015
Texas
Same problem I got also. When I bought my MB it was very little line in the bottom of the screen. Never did with it anything. (becouse i had no idea that the screen can peel off... :apple: :mad:) Now I have it as it is in picture. :confused:

MB still on warranty - so I will see how they do with it in Lithuania. Let you know soon.

P.S. pictures shows the "spot" that it could be the start for the problem. - and its nothing about the cleaning perhaps.

View attachment 524993 View attachment 524999

View attachment 525000 View attachment 525002

Is that the 2013 model?

Ingwe

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2011
Same issue with 2013 rMBP

I was led to this thread having experienced the same issue in the middle of the screen.

I've never used anything other than facial tissue and microfiber cloths on the screen, occasionally with a dab of water. My markings look more like they've been caused by contact with the keyboard.

Question: if I have the screen replaced (under Apple Care), would I be getting the same 2013-era screen or the newer, possibly improved 2014/15 version?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Question: if I have the screen replaced (under Apple Care), would I be getting the same 2013-era screen or the newer, possibly improved 2014/15 version?

I believe it will be using an existing 2013 type screen.

ramdrive

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2015
I have not read the entire tread but I work in the optics coating industry and have seen this before.

It looks like AR coating failure caused by acidic sweat, sweat has an acidic mantle and breaks down / eats away the coating over time, when you wipe the screen you remove the sweat and coating that is why you see it first after cleaning.

The acidity of sweat varies from person to person due to diet etc.

Looking at the OP's image the failure is near the camera exactly were you open the laptop.

I will dig out a document I have on this.

Last edited:

Chrgll

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2014
I had the same issue with my late 2013 MBPr. Started after a couple of months post purchase.

The damage were mainly scattered around the whole bezel, but the coating had even started to wear off in the middle of the display when I took it to an Apple reseller. The store employee told me they had seen it before, and speculated that it had something to do with water slipping underneath the coating (although that theory does not explain the scratching in the center). They replaced it under warranty.

5wnjdu4rx

Compliment

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2015

View attachment 524993 View attachment 525010

Hello, problem fixed by local APPLE service in LT. All I can say that I was surprised with professional service at this place. Super! Keep doing good job APPLE team!

Regards.

SMINT1986

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2015
Hello, problem fixed by local APPLE service in LT. All I can say that I was surprised with professional service at this place. Super! Keep doing good job APPLE team!

Regards.

Hi, could you kindly name the authorised service you have went in LT, even I don't yet have any issues with my unit. But I would like to go to the correct place if that will happen.

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Have you had your water tested.

Can people stop using water. That is what the iKlear product and micro fibre cloth is for people. These are over priced machines why are people treating it like a consumer product like the rest of them out there?

I only dry wipe down because I never breathe on or touch the display so I NEVER get smudges.

I would file a formal complaint with the company for sure.

Good luck. I filed a complaint about the black cloths, why can't they just use a dye-free cloth. DUH! They gave me a 1500 dollar gift card.
Apple says only use water to dampen a microfiber cloth.

iKlear is a waste of money but it does make the creator wealthy since he cleverly named it to make people think it's a special Apple product.

All my Apple phones/pads & MacBooks have a very durable finish that stays looking like new because I follow Apple guidelines.

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204172

technosix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2015
West Coast USA
Many people in this thread have scratched coating even after only using the Apple cloth and water.

You're right, I've often wondered why. I don't baby my iPhone's, had every model since the original, and never use a screen protector. However I do take just two minutes at the end of the day to wipe off the screen till it's free of fingerprints. Doesn't seem like much but it works for me.

whittaker007

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2008
Screen replaced in NZ

I'm in New Zealand where we don't have Apple stores. I've had this issue for about 9 months getting progressively worse. I took it into the local YooBee shop (basically an official Apple shop proxy) before going on holiday and had it back in 3 working days, no fuss.

The whole top of the clamshell was replaced, making it fiddly to remove and replace the adhesive carbon fibre skin I had applied to the original screen.

Still, a great result with no arguing necessary. This is clearly a known issue with this vintage of screen, and YooBee dealt with it quickly and efficiently, even sending me txt messages to let me know what was happening each step of the way.

eduardotl

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2015
Reach Apple together

Hi guys. I have the same problem and this clearly is a design problem.

We all have had bad experiences in both official Apple stores and partners stores separately so I think is time to make Apple seriously aware of this issue and ask them to find us a free and permanent solution. We are all Apple loyal customers and this problem clearly is not our fault, it is not driven by bad use so we need to join forces and push the company to solve this.

I have created an online database so the people that want can get it and share your problem details, pictures as well as your Macbook details and contact info. As soon as I have an important amount of people (let's say 50 - 100 people) I will start contacting Apple employees via social networks and provide them with details of the people in the list.

https://macbookscreenproblem.wufoo.com/forms/zsnnv1p0gc67dc/

Of course this DB is STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL and will ONLY be used to contact Apple and show them that there is a significant amount of people with this problem and that we are demanding a solution to this.

Let's join forces and fix this annoying problem.

Thanks,

Eduardo

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.