Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stewlewis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2015
Trying to set my Iphone5 IOS 8.1.2 to it's hardware maximum volume.
It's a UK device, with the EU Limit.

Setting the volumeLimits-Headphone (entry only appears once EU toggle has been switched in settings-music) in: /var/mobile/library/preferences/com.apple.celestial.plist
To 1.25 seems to max the output volume, when measured via laptop.
Setting it any higher has no further increase.

But, the volume slider last 2 clicks do nothing, the volume maximises 2 clicks down.

And, switch the EU limit switch in settings-music resets this value to 1.

So where is the maximum volume output set to correspond to the maximum on the volume slider?

My guess is the EU volume limit switch takes it's values from somewhere and applies the value 1 back to com.apple.celestial.plist

Yet changing HighVolumeLimit in these 4x files to 1 or 1.25 makes no difference:

//system/library/frameworks/mediatoolbox/framework/N42/EUVolumeLimits.plist

//system/library/frameworks/mediatoolbox/framework/N42/RegionalVolumeLimits.plist

//system/library/frameworks/mediatoolbox/framework/default/EUVolumeLimits.plist

//system/library/frameworks/mediatoolbox/framework/default/RegionalVolumeLimits.plist

I'd like to have no upper volume limit (100dB EU) and when EU volume limit is switched (85dB EU) as that's what it's for.

I'd like the volume slider to affect the full volume range.

Are there any non-EU users who can say which of these files they have, or the contents of them?

Could I restore my UK phone to US firmware and not have it affect any Cellular functions or Store?

I believe the US phone will top out at 125dB or 1volt.

PS. This is not a you'll go deaf argument, there's already too many of them.

stewlewis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 10, 2015
Mikoto makes no difference to the upper volume limit.
EUUnlimited makes no difference to the upper volume limit.

Both tried on IOS 8.1.2

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.