Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

inyourface

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 22, 2013
Hello everybody

I like the idea of the 'caffeinate' command very much. I also could use it quite often.
Unfortunatly it doesn't do what I want it to do (..what it actually should do, I guess)
My Macbook still goes to sleep after a few minutes. This shouldn't happen, right? Do you have any advise? Am I doing something wrong? I just type 'caffeinate' into the Terminal. The command looks like its working (I don't get a error nor does it jump back to the command promt line).

Thanks.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
Hello everybody

I like the idea of the 'caffeinate' command very much. I also could use it quite often.
Unfortunatly it doesn't do what I want it to do (..what it actually should do, I guess)
My Macbook still goes to sleep after a few minutes. This shouldn't happen, right? Do you have any advise? Am I doing something wrong? I just type 'caffeinate' into the Terminal. The command looks like its working (I don't get a error nor does it jump back to the command promt line).

Thanks.

You might try the little app called Caffeine. It will keep your computer from sleeping with one click.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
Hmmm. I've tried all three options mentioned above and it's not working either.

It looks like it is working - for about 30seconds - and then the black screen on my external display returns...

Any ideas?

I really want to be able to run my MBP in clamshell (with power disconnected).

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
NoSleep definitely keeps the MacBook awake but external monitors are a different matter.
AFAIK to keep those running you must have AC power and an external mouse/keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.