Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sketchygio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 1, 2009
I spent a good 4 hours yesterday trying to get windows XP SP2 Home installed on my friend's new Macbook pro with snow leopard. After actually getting through the installation, when it was time to install the bootcamp drivers on the new partition we couldn't find the original Snow Leopard cd and had to resort to finding the drivers online (using Bootcamp 3.0 both as software and drivers). I was able to virtually mount the disc on the windows xp partition and run the setup program that way. It was partially successful, as it seemed to have installed most of the drivers, but every time I start up windows it says it "found new hardware" 3 times, meaning that there's 3 devices with no drivers installed for them. One of which, seems to be the Atheros driver (for internet or wireless, I don't understand the specifics). As such, I cannot connect to an existing wireless network, as the option to do so is not even there.

So what I want to ask is,
1. Will upgrading to bootcamp 3.2 and installing those drivers possibly fix and install the missing drivers (I heard it was really only to fix compatibility issues with Windows 7)?

2. Are there any other steps I could take to confirm what drivers are missing and how I can manually install them (is there a list of what drivers should be installed by the time bootcamp ran its drivers setup)?

Any relevant advice is appreciated.

SwatchTheClock

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2011
I spent a good 4 hours yesterday trying to get windows XP SP2 Home installed on my friend's new Macbook pro with snow leopard. After actually getting through the installation, when it was time to install the bootcamp drivers on the new partition we couldn't find the original Snow Leopard cd and had to resort to finding the drivers online (using Bootcamp 3.0 both as software and drivers). I was able to virtually mount the disc on the windows xp partition and run the setup program that way. It was partially successful, as it seemed to have installed most of the drivers, but every time I start up windows it says it "found new hardware" 3 times, meaning that there's 3 devices with no drivers installed for them. One of which, seems to be the Atheros driver (for internet or wireless, I don't understand the specifics). As such, I cannot connect to an existing wireless network, as the option to do so is not even there.

So what I want to ask is,
1. Will upgrading to bootcamp 3.2 and installing those drivers possibly fix and install the missing drivers (I heard it was really only to fix compatibility issues with Windows 7)?

2. Are there any other steps I could take to confirm what drivers are missing and how I can manually install them (is there a list of what drivers should be installed by the time bootcamp ran its drivers setup)?

Any relevant advice is appreciated.

I have the same problem as you, if i got some answer on my thread i will let you know, good luck for you mate.

athens

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2004
Vancouver, Canada
NO, Apple does not support Windows XP in bootcamp any more.

You have 2 options.

1) Find a Leopard DVD or bootcamp 2 (maybe 1)

or

2) Download the drivers directly from the chip manufacturer. I believe it was broadcom.

----------

NO, Apple does not support Windows XP in bootcamp any more.

You have 2 options.

1) Find a Leopard DVD or bootcamp 2 (maybe 1)

or

2) Download the drivers directly from the chip manufacturer. I believe it was broadcom.

I am not 100% sure but I think this driver works
http://www.broadcom.com/support/ethernet_nic/4401.php

I can't remember off hand the exact chip in the Macs. I think it was the 43xx ones.

Snookman007

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2015
Bootcamp, Windows XP SP2 Wireless Answer

Ok after several days this was the solution for me. I am posting to help others if the run into this problem.

From a computer that get you on the internet do a search of

WindowsXP-KB917021-v3-x86-ENU.exe

Download it on zip drive, install it in Bootcamp, Windows XP SP2, reboot computer and your done! Worked for me and glad if it helps YOU.

Snookman007

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.