Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
The large screen is the last remaining trick from the bag of Steve Job's legacy.
Next iPhone will be just another smartphone in the marketplace.

Ha. & I was speaking to someone the other day who - like you - is convinced Apple is doomed without Steve Jobs.

What was their argument?

The iPhone 4S was great - but the iPhone 5 wasn't. :D

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Next iPhone will sell very well, like Samsung smartphones.

Actually, no. Samsung's Galaxy S5 sales have been lackluster due to competitors better hardware & cheaper prices on the low end and Apple iPhones on the top end.

What I am saying is that a large screen is the only thing left to do to an iPhone that has not evolved for 3 years.
The competitive edge is gone, and soon the iPhone will be left to fend for itself. I don't expect anything more from Cook/Ives.

Like TouchID & Apple Pay?

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
Gradually the fad will pass simply because there is no extraordinary (or even plain ordinary) leadership at Apple.

So Steve Jobs returned to a failing company in the late 90s and filled it with idiots, did he?

Despite expressing a strong desire to leave a legacy that could survive without him?

What about when Tim Cook was acting CEO before 2011 - how did the company succeed then? Luck?

----------

5) Stupid acquisitions - Beats, over-the-top new campuses - Spending their inheritance

The Beats acquisition was calculated - Apple needed to get serious about music streaming to compete with Spotify. Apple has incredible brand loyalty and a high brand value. They found another company that also does. How, exactly, is that stupid?

Work on the new campus started while Steve Jobs was CEO.

Apple are not "spending their inheritance". Since Tim Cook took over, their cash pile has increased because Apple has continued to be profitable.

----------

Gradually the fad will pass simply because there is no extraordinary (or even plain ordinary) leadership at Apple.

According to Google, the definition of "fad" is: "an intense and widely shared enthusiasm for something, especially one that is short-lived; a craze."

The iPhone has been around for 7 years and, despite what people might try and say, influenced the entire smartphone market. It is not a fad.

Look at what Android became. Look at what's happened to BlackBerry and Nokia.

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
LOL.
I base my predictions on the following:
2) GUI that is out of control - attention to detail and perfection is gone
3) Bad releases - buggy updates and constant upgrades that bring limited value but destroy perfect things that should have been left alone....

I completely agree with 2 and 3. Their software division has just gotten sloppy. Not to mention lazy. Where is Photos that was announced in June, missed the Yosemite release, and now is never mentioned? Apple software has become known for bugs and vaporware. It didn't used to be like that.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
Good luck to other fellow investors with today's ER. Here's hoping to Christmas in January.

Full disclosure: I am currently holding a long position in AAPL.

Me too. I'm long and large . . . in my AAPL position. I'm really curious about what the sales results will be. If these rumors are met, I don't see how the stock stays at its current 111. But it rarely pops on a release date since the rumors are all out there already and presumably pretty accurate and also baked into the current price.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
From the perspective of the smartphone, there are very few large advances that can be made at this point. The industry as a whole is maturing.

Really the only big area prime for advancement I can see is battery tech. Other areas of the smartphone as actually ahead of what is really useful to most of the buying populous.

Battery tech is the one area that could use a big leap.

Other than that, I'll just continue to chuckle every time someone claims Apple is doomed. As if they are some prophet claiming a prophecy that's never been spoken before....

Meanwhile, at the Legion of Apple.....

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

SuperMatt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2002
One thing that's concerning is that Apple has been more accurate with their guidance lately, yet many analysts are predicting pretty far above Apple's guidance. We are no longer in the "extremely conservative" guidance phase for Apple. And if Apple meets or even exceeds its guidance, but doesn't meet the Wall St. hype... they will not say "oops" - they will say "Apple is toast, sell immediately!!"

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
One thing that's concerning is that Apple has been more accurate with their guidance lately, yet many analysts are predicting pretty far above Apple's guidance. We are no longer in the "extremely conservative" guidance phase for Apple. And if Apple meets or even exceeds its guidance, but doesn't meet the Wall St. hype... they will not say "oops" - they will say "Apple is toast, sell immediately!!"

If that's what you believe, I hope you have set aside some money to snatch up some AAPL shares at a discount.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
What I am saying is that a large screen is the only thing left to do to an iPhone that has not evolved for 3 years. The competitive edge is gone, and soon the iPhone will be left to fend for itself.

I don't expect anything more from Cook/Ives.

So what do you expect from someone like HTC or any other smartphone vendor?

Let's not forget that Apple builds and maintains their *own* platform: OS, software, hardware, app store, payment systems, retail stores and service centers, etc. And they're pretty successful doing it.

The other guys simply build skins to put on top of Google's software.

It sounds like you're saying "Apple is doomed" which is a popular, if silly, phrase around here.

But I'd invite you to look at the other 60 smartphone vendors and see what condition they're in.

It's increasingly difficult to compare what Apple is doing to anyone else.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

You must have missed that Samsung smartphones are NOT selling well anymore because they lost their large screen advantage in the market and offer nothing to differentiate themselves from the tons of other Android vendors. A cheap Chinese android has the same core software as Samsung so they're probably a more accurate subject of the doom you predict rather than Apple. Apple's iOS and integration is what differentiates them from the competition since everyone else just offer slightly altered versions of Google's software.

The "fad" has been going on since 2007 and continues to get bigger with each release. When does this little "fad" finally end? I look forward to more of the doom talk when the iPhone 6S breaks records as well. There's really no evidence to support claims that Apple is falling.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Interesting that the professional and amateur analyst estimates are so closely aligned this quarter. Usually the amateur estimates are far higher.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
You must have missed that Samsung smartphones are NOT selling well anymore because they lost their large screen advantage in the market and offer nothing to differentiate themselves from the tons of other Android vendors. A cheap Chinese android has the same core software as Samsung so they're probably a more accurate subject of the doom you predict rather than Apple. Apple's iOS and integration is what differentiates them from the competition since everyone else just offer slightly altered versions of Google's software.

The "fad" has been going on since 2007 and continues to get bigger with each release. When does this little "fad" finally end? I look forward to more of the doom talk when the iPhone 6S breaks records as well. There's really no evidence to support claims that Apple is falling.

Before you get too down on Samsung, is there any non-iPhone Smartphone that sold more than the Galaxy S5 in 2014? I know their competitors did really well. But weren't they still just catching up? Did anyone actually overtake Samsung and the G S5?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Interesting that the professional and amateur analyst estimates are so closely aligned this quarter. Usually the amateur estimates are far higher.

So-called. I have always objected to calling analysts who who don't work for financial companies or brokerage houses "amateurs." Degrading someone's work because of how they make their living is just plain snotty. That said, the estimates from affiliated and unaffiliated analysts have been moving closer together for some years now.

tuncer

macrumors regular
Mar 19, 2008
Here's what I think will happen with Apple's stock.

- Blow out earnings but conservative guidance will push the stock down to around $100 or less. Analysts have pushed up their estimates over 10 percent so not matter what, wall street will be "disappointed". Same BS story every year.
- Analysts will argue that there's no catalyst for 2015. Apple Watch won't push the needle. Innovation is over at Apple. Again, same BS story every year. Everyone in the world has already upgraded to the iPhone 6. Doom and gloom.
- Rebound will happen a few weeks later and will hopefully propel higher on the release of the Apple Watch and a "surprisingly good" 2nd quarter on the conservative guidance.
- Summer comes and the iPhone 6+ hype will drive the stock to over $120.

I'm long AAPL.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Stock market way down today. Microsoft down 10% at one point due to weak guidance. Intel down 5%. Market looking for Apple to be a bright spot today.

Not just weak guidance from Microsoft, but also beating the Street by a mere penny in EPS is a kiss of death (and not just for Apple).

----------

Here's what I think will happen with Apple's stock.

- Blow out earnings but conservative guidance will push the stock down to around $100 or less. Analysts have pushed up their estimates over 10 percent so not matter what, wall street will be "disappointed". Same BS story every year.
- Analysts will argue that there's no catalyst for 2015. Apple Watch won't push the needle. Innovation is over at Apple. Again, same BS story every year. Everyone in the world has already upgraded to the iPhone 6. Doom and gloom.
- Rebound will happen a few weeks later and will hopefully propel higher on the release of the Apple Watch and a "surprisingly good" 2nd quarter on the conservative guidance.
- Summer comes and the iPhone 6+ hype will drive the stock to over $120.

I'm long AAPL.

Just, basically, no.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Great counter-argument ;)

Sorry, just tired of hearing specific predictions, especially of this kind. If you were really so convinced by your own argument you would be selling out today and buying back in a few months. The fact that you aren't tells me that even you can't even convince yourself, so a counter-argument is kind of besides the point.

Anyway and FWIW.

1. Guidance is always conservative. Everybody knows that in advance.

2. The Street average forecasted EPS of $2.68 is also conservative. Everybody knows that too, so what the Street is really looking for is around $2.95.

3. Current stock valuation already incorporates the earnings projections, plus an expected beat.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Before you get too down on Samsung, is there any non-iPhone Smartphone that sold more than the Galaxy S5 in 2014? I know their competitors did really well. But weren't they still just catching up? Did anyone actually overtake Samsung and the G S5?

We're not getting down on Samsung.... Samsung is getting down on Samsung.

Their smartphone shipments have dropped year-over-year for the past two quarters. And their profit is down.

Samsung won't go bankrupt anytime soon... but they are certainly feeling the pressure from other vendors.

I agree with CEmajr... Samsung sells Android smartphones... but so do dozens of other companies. It's very difficult for Samsung to differentiate themselves.

The Samsung Galaxy S5 may be the highest-selling single Android smartphone.... but that's not quite the trophy you think it is.

It's a very crowded market with over 230 million Android phones sold last quarter. More people are choosing non-Galaxy and non-Samsung smartphones in general.

I don't know why you're putting so much effort into defending the Galaxy S5 when it's a tiny fraction of the Android market.

But yeah... it gets the award for "Best-selling single Android model" so I guess they have that.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
We're not getting down on Samsung.... Samsung is getting down on Samsung.

Their smartphone shipments have dropped year-over-year for the past two quarters. And their profit is down.

Samsung won't go bankrupt anytime soon... but they are certainly feeling the pressure from other vendors.

I agree with CEmajr... Samsung sells Android smartphones... but so do dozens of other companies. It's very difficult for Samsung to differentiate themselves.

The Samsung Galaxy S5 may be the highest-selling single Android smartphone.... but that's not quite the trophy you think it is.

It's a very crowded market with over 230 million Android phones sold last quarter. More people are choosing non-Galaxy and non-Samsung smartphones in general.

I don't know why you're putting so much effort into defending the Galaxy S5 when it's a tiny fraction of the Android market.

But yeah... it gets the award for "Best-selling single Android model" so I guess they have that.

I'm not defending that much. I just think some folks are overstating their issues. Sure their profits dropped. But they had large profits. Yes the HTC One kind of ate their lunch this year from a design perspective. But I think the GS5 sold a ton. I think they are SOL, along with all Android manufacturers, because they can't match Apple's build quality and they can't match the focus from developers that iOS gets. But the GS5 is still a pretty good phone and I see a ton of them around. And the Android OS is very strong with Google continuing to make it stronger.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
LOL.
I base my predictions on the following:
1) Soldered RAM - to cause premature obsolescence to keep sales from declining.
2) GUI that is out of control - attention to detail and perfection is gone
3) Bad releases - buggy updates and constant upgrades that bring limited value but destroy perfect things that should have been left alone.
4) Neglected base - 2015 MacMini that is slower than it was 3 years ago. Showcase software (Aperture and Final Cut) abandoned. A Mac Pro impractical format for real business. Server grade hardware and software nonexistent.
5) Stupid acquisitions - Beats, over-the-top new campuses - Spending their inheritance

1: I like how you fail to mention companies that are doing the exact same thing.

2: Matter of personal opinion only. I am not a huge fan of iOS right now, but see a ton of potential. But I love Yosemite. Just because you don't like it, their are just as many people who love it.

3: Definitely does need to be fixed. I will say it has started to happen a bit too much right now. But to say a company is screwed now because they hit a little bump in this area? That is a little extreme

4: Proof? You provide none.
Plus their are companies all over the place that are "moving" on and focusing on what the real money maker is at that time, not only what their base is. Heck it can even be argued that Jobs started this. Jobs himself was the one that was so focused on the current products.

5: Matter of opinion. Their are several of articles that go into depth why that acquisition made perfect sense. To me without providing any proof at all, you're just basing it on the fact you don't like Beats Headphones. I don't either, but I also know that people LOVE Beats streaming service. Hmm, makes perfect sense to me.

And then you mention the new Apple Campus. I'm sorry I had to laugh at that one. As that just can't hold water on your argument on why Apple is going to fail without Jobs. Jobs himself was pushing big time for this campus. That has been in design for a long time now, well before they started the transition from Jobs to Cook.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
Apple Predicted to Report Record-Breaking First Quarter on Strength of X and Y.

We hear that every quarter. And most of the time that is true. Nothing new here.

----------

There is an 18% decline in iPad revenue

Does anyone know or know where to look to find the tablet market sales/revenue as a whole, for this quarter in comparison to last years quarter?? I would be really curious.

My best guess is the tablet market as a whole has dropped some this year, but maybe not as much as iPads have dropped

The iPhone 6 and 6 plus canabalised some of the iPad mini revenue. People realised they can do 99% of the things they used to do on a Mini, on the new 6 and 6 plus. So why carry around an iPhone and a iPad Mini? Pointless, so the iPad Minis were selling less.

Mattsasa

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2010
Minnesota
Apple Predicted to Report Record-Breaking First Quarter on Strength of X and Y.

We hear that every quarter. And most of the time that is true. Nothing new here.

----------

The iPhone 6 and 6 plus canabalised some of the iPad mini revenue. People realised they can do 99% of the things they used to do on a Mini, on the new 6 and 6 plus. So why carry around an iPhone and a iPad Mini? Pointless, so the iPad Minis were selling less.

but then my question remains the same?

did iPhone 6 and 6 plus cannabalise tablets as a whole, or just iPads?

or rather how did phablet cannabalization of tablet, as a whole, compare to iPhone 6 cannabalizing iPad

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.