Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPad Retina

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Toronto
Hello I got a mid 2010 MacBook Pro and want to transfer all the information to the new retina MacBook pro retina without using a back up/ time machine, I've heard you can use Thunderbolt, but the is no Thunderbolt on the mid 2010 MacBook pro, and in order to use FireWire, I need to purchase a adapter.

For the back up, I will
Need to get a separate drive, but the MacBook pro mid 2010 only has usb 2.0 and the the retina has 3.0, and the hardrive can only use one or the other, I think.

How did you transfer your information when you had to transfer your information from your old MacBook to a new MacBook

Thanks in advance

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP wrote above:
[[ I don't have one yet, if I do get one, which one! ]]

You -should- have an external drive to serve as a backup.
Unless, of course, you don't intend to store anything of importance on the MacBook drive.

As mentioned above, you -could- use wireless to do the transfer, but it will be slow, depending on
-how much- data there is to be transferred.

I'd try setting up Migration Assistant via wireless in the evening, let it go all night if necessary.

But again, if you keep "very much of anything" on the MacBook Pro, you should have an external backup drive as well...

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
The USB 3.0 drive will be compatible with the older USB 2.0 port, and will be faster when you use as a backup on your new Mac - so get a USB 3.0 drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.