Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 12, 2012
So if you haven't heard, Microsoft has announced that in the lifetime of Windows 10, they will release the HoloLens which is basically a computer in eye glass form.

It uses advanced sensors to make your world interactive with holograms (think Tony Stark's workshop). This works without any external cameras! It seems super exciting if they can advance this technology and get other tech companies to join in on it! Can you imagine this going into contact lens form and eventually getting rid of the glasses all together!

I'm excited for the future!

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California
So if you haven't heard, Microsoft has announced that in the lifetime of Windows 10, they will release the HoloLens which is basically a computer in eye glass form.

It uses advanced sensors to make your world interactive with holograms (think Tony Stark's workshop). This works without any external cameras! It seems super exciting if they can advance this technology and get other tech companies to join in on it! Can you imagine this going into contact lens form and eventually getting rid of the glasses all together!

I'm excited for the future!

It doesn't use holograms of any kind. It is augmented reality. The applications are pretty much limitless and it would be pretty awesome, once the technology allows the form factor to pair down to something like contacts and bone conduction for sound that would be very small and light. But we need batteries that are tiny, flexible and thermally charged.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
I'm actually amazed there isn't more chatter about this. I was absolutely blown away by HoloLens and personally cannot wait to embrace this technology. The possibilities are truly endless.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
Yeah, I was surprised as well that it had very little HYPE around it. Maybe because it from Microsoft which isn't as popular like they used to be. Everyone is still busy with their smartphones, tablets, etc.

HoloLens is the most exciting tech product I have seen since the original iPhone. I think it is even more exciting than Google Glass. The idea I can be like Tony Stark from Iron Man or Tom Cruise in Minority Report just gets me excited. My favorite music video of 2014 was Duke Dumont's "I Got U" with the VR headset. I think wearables is the next evolution beyond mobile smartphones. I was watching Back to the Future Part II last week and being in 2015. I remember when Marty's kids can see the incoming call having shades on. That movie completely missed out predicting about mobile devices and we have no flying cars or hoverboards. But wearables is a huge possibility that they could get right.

Kudos, Microsoft. Future looks bright.

Savor

Suspended
Jun 18, 2010
But it will take some time for wearables to take off in the computing world. It took decades until cell phones including smartphones with touchscreen to really take off. It wasn't until the first iPhone with the capacitive touch that made touchscreen not so clunky and laggy like resistive. It takes years and even decades for any technology to get fully accepted by society. Look at automobiles and airplanes. It took years until they became the norm. I showed my girl the videos of HoloLens who isn't techie and the first thing she asked was if it was a phone? I told her no but she still wants that type of technology!

Smartphones will always be around. What HoloLens can do is replace some of the productivity from the desktop world. I used to think Microsoft was synonymous to boring or how SJ described them having no taste. But after seeing them produce Metro UI with Live Tiles, Xbox One which can be the ultimate entertainment appliance, and HoloLens, I think Microsoft is starting to turn things around and starting to look cool doing it. There is alot of foresight with some of their products.

JHUFrank

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2010
I think this is probably the first wearable idea that has some possibility to change the market. Google glass just wasn't all there. And watches to me are just meh.

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Is HoloLens a computer or just a display that connects to a Windows 10 computer? I was under the impression that it is a display.

Edit: Never mind. I see that is a full computer. I was hoping it is just a display making it more affordable.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
If it works as demo'd, it will be very impressive. I'd sooner have something like this than a damn smartwatch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.