Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iceycee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
Today my 2011 mbp black screened upon restarting. Its still stuck on the black screen every time i turn it on. The chime still goes off and the screen turns on (its stll black but differen than it would be if its off). All the keys other than the power button are unresponsive. The keyboard backlight doesnt turn on nor does the Caps Lock button. I was attempting to boot into windows 7 partition when this started. I think its somehow stuck between windows and osx. I also opened the bottom of my unibody abd everything appears normal. Nothing appears melted and the fan turns on. I had the battery changed a month ago. The battery was swollen but after replacement the laptop operated normally.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
If it's a 15 or 17" model, you may be a victim of the failing graphics issues that are quite prevalent in 2011 models. The repairs in my experience are pretty terrible, but if you plan to have Apple repair it, I would show it to them soon so that you can show it was just in for repair. If it is a logic board, it's about a $300 fix (they would probably at least deduct the battery cost), but again the repairs haven't been holding up well.

iceycee

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 16, 2014
My logic board is bad. If anyone else has similar issues this might be the cause. The repair was $300. I didn't have mine repaired but that's what they'll charge you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.