Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

luke lau

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2015
Belfast
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/paste-a-pasteboard-manager/id929777936?ls=1&mt=12

screen800x500.jpeg

It took 5 rejections from the app store review team and a fair bit of trial and error, but I got there in the end. It's called Paste and it remembers what you copy and paste so you can switch back and forth between previous stuff or simply just check whats the last thing you copied. It stores texts, images and files but also works with a lot of other applications, since it works by storing NSPasteboardItems and not just raw text etc.

This is what it looked 2 years ago and this is it now.

It has a few small handy features like saving your pasteboard when you log off and launch at login, but I kept it pretty simple and unobtrusive. It just sits quietly in your menu bar until you need it. Sadly its Yosemite only at the minute, but it supports the new dark mode for you night dwellers
Screen%20Shot%202015-01-15%20at%2023.29.22.png

I also just submitted the 1.1 update to the app store, which contains a blacklist so you can choose which apps to prevent copying from like 1Password

Screen%20Shot%202015-01-25%20at%2017.08.47.png

as well as a customisable global shortcut that lets you swap between your currently copied paste and your last copied paste. Hopefully if all goes smoothly it should be released sometime next week.

I've got a handful of codes to give out but sorry you'll have to work for them this time:

AX(Barrogill Castle in Scotland)(494 in decimal bit shift right then convert to hex)NL9T9

(http://cl.ly/ZSyT)7XKJN9(F tha police coming straight from the underground)

4(189 in hex then move every letter 10 letters up the alphabet)7(Mweka airport code in Congo)ATNYN

7(Prana Biotechnology Limited NASDAQ)7(Metatarsophalangeal joint acronym)HEW

Each code is 12 characters long and you have to figure out the bits in brackets for yourself. But if you're not a gifted code cracker like myself 8^) then it'll set you back a meagre £2.29 / $2.99. I hope you all get to try it out at some stage, and let me know what you think

Last edited:

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
yay lol. once i get the code how do i download the app?

----------

figured how to pm me, go to my user profile and go to contact info and send private message

luke lau

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2015
Belfast
yay lol. once i get the code how do i download the app?

----------

figured how to pm me, go to my user profile and go to contact info and send private message
My account's too new to private message sorry :( so you'll just have to be really quick for this code E9HTN93NFK3A

Go to the app store and then under quick links at the right hand side of the featured page go to redeem

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
Thanks, i just downloaded the app.

----------

This app is truly amazing if you have to copy and paste a bunch of things and i do that even though I'm not a dev :D

luke lau

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2015
Belfast
Cool! 5 rejections, wow. Hopefully you last on the store! :D

There has to be another way you can indicate something's copied besides using checkmarks.

Thanks! Also good point about the checkmarks. The individual rows used to slide out whenever you selected them to reveal a blue background with a tick underneath them, similar to favouriting something in tweetbot for iOS. Unfortunately it didn't translate to well from touchscreen to mouse so thats where the checkmark button came in. I beefed it up a little from a plain old button by animating it with particles like in the Facebook paper app, but I'm not so sure about the tick shape and I might tweak it a bit. I was possibly thinking of having a radio-style button instead? But I appreciate the feedback!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Thanks! Also good point about the checkmarks. The individual rows used to slide out whenever you selected them to reveal a blue background with a tick underneath them, similar to favouriting something in tweetbot for iOS. Unfortunately it didn't translate to well from touchscreen to mouse so thats where the checkmark button came in. I beefed it up a little from a plain old button by animating it with particles like in the Facebook paper app, but I'm not so sure about the tick shape and I might tweak it a bit. I was possibly thinking of having a radio-style button instead? But I appreciate the feedback!

Hmmm, how about replacing the checkmark with the (copied) app's icon (but much smaller), and then when you click on whatever, it brings up the message, "✓ Copied to clipboard" which then disappears.

luke lau

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2015
Belfast
Hmmm, how about replacing the checkmark with the (copied) app's icon (but much smaller), and then when you click on whatever, it brings up the message, "✓ Copied to clipboard" which then disappears.

Oooh I like the idea of a copied to clipboard message/notification

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I've been using the paste app, and it is truly amazing, the app store won't let me rate it. i give it :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple: out of 5

luke lau

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 25, 2015
Belfast

I took on board some of your advice and fiddled with it a bit. What do you think? http://cl.ly/ZsrI Personally I think the it's too iOS-y at the moment since there isn't any visible button backdrop but I was just wondering if you would be able to recognise it as a button, given that the text is pretty self explanatory

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I took on board some of your advice and fiddled with it a bit. What do you think? http://cl.ly/ZsrI Personally I think the it's too iOS-y at the moment since there isn't any visible button backdrop but I was just wondering if you would be able to recognise it as a button, given that the text is pretty self explanatory

Yeah, I agree that it needs a backdrop. Like the other changes you made to it though. The white background looks so much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.