Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
just got another macbook retina and it is also yellow. I calibrated it and half of it looks good, the other half looks slightly yellow. yellow on the left side and ok on the right side.

this is so frustrating. i tried to ignore it, but i can't. when reading, the yellow part makes my eye feel like it's cloudy and then it looks like dirt. when working on design, i keep moving my project to the right side of the screen to check the color. it is not a good screen for professional design work.

Yep. I'm waiting for a better technology on Apple displays. Hopefully if it comes in the next two years, my Apple Care plan will cover an exchange, since I'm already on my 3rd screen replacement (4 displays total).

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
just got another macbook retina and it is also yellow. I calibrated it and half of it looks good, the other half looks slightly yellow. yellow on the left side and ok on the right side.

this is so frustrating. i tried to ignore it, but i can't. when reading, the yellow part makes my eye feel like it's cloudy and then it looks like dirt. when working on design, i keep moving my project to the right side of the screen to check the color. it is not a good screen for professional design work.

Go to calibrate color screen, uncheck the native white and adjust it to your taste

mets1125

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2007
Queens, NY
I just bought a 2014 rmbp 15-inch from best buy 3 days ago ad the screen was yellow I returned it today and the new one is the same. I have a mid 2103 13" rmbp that I place next to it and you can really see the difference in the screens. I have calibrated the white but its still pretty yellow. Any suggestions?

calvol

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2011
I just bought a 2014 rmbp 15-inch from best buy 3 days ago ad the screen was yellow I returned it today and the new one is the same. I have a mid 2103 13" rmbp that I place next to it and you can really see the difference in the screens. I have calibrated the white but its still pretty yellow. Any suggestions?

Interesting, I just got a new refurb 2014 rMBP 15" from Apple and it's perfect, no yellowing at all. It's a LG screen, so I suspect the issues may be with Samsung screens.

Serban

Suspended
Jan 8, 2013
i have a perfect screen too...15" rMBP..i don't know how to check the display brand on Yosemite

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
Interesting, I just got a new refurb 2014 rMBP 15" from Apple and it's perfect, no yellowing at all. It's a LG screen, so I suspect the issues may be with Samsung screens.

It isn't perfect, I assure, but you must feel happy for being unable to note it.

----------

i have a perfect screen too...15" rMBP..i don't know how to check the display brand on Yosemite

The best retina displays I've seen are the ones that suffer from image retention. Their colors are more uniform, though.

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2012
Go to calibrate color screen, uncheck the native white and adjust it to your taste

you can't calibrate just a section of the screen. anyway. i'm on my third display now and now it's blotchy as hell. tint is even there is just a bunch shadowy clouds everywhere

i would have much rather kept my previous screen but it had a scratch in the glass.

AttilaTheHun

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2010
USA
you can't calibrate just a section of the screen. anyway. i'm on my third display now and now it's blotchy as hell. tint is even there is just a bunch shadowy clouds everywhere

i would have much rather kept my previous screen but it had a scratch in the glass.

So I am lucky mine 15" retina mbp is just perfect I just wish it was 17"

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2008
Just had my rMBP screen replaced under warranty. It was previously a Samsung screen which was near close to perfect except for a small dark blotch that got a little worse over time.

The replacement screen is a newer LG panel and it's free from any blotches or dark patches. It's almost perfect to my eyes, whites are really white at full brightness. The only flaw I can see is a very subtle pink tint near the upper right corner. It's something that changes when I move my head farther to the right, so I could compensate by sitting off center.

Overall it's not enough of a problem that I want to go through the hassle of changing the screen again.

Good enough for me. Perfect screens are like unicorns!

psychedelia

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2009
I'd very much like to see picture evidence - I don't believe an even white Macbook Pro Retina screen exists. Take a picture of the screen with a black image filling the screen, in a dark room and post your findings, please.

Orr

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2013
Screen looks great on my refurbished 15". The previous two 15" models (brand new) I had last year were noticeably yellow and slightly uneven.

eiprol

macrumors 6502
Jan 20, 2009
Spain
I'm about to get a 15" rMBP, but I'm a little bit worried with those display problems; being such an expensive machine... it's hard to understand.

The thing is, first, which version is better? Samsung or LG?

And secondly, the probability of getting LG/SAMSUNG is the same in both Iris pro version and 750m version? I'm struggling deciding between the only-Iris-Pro upgraded to 512SSD and 2.5GHZ, or the dGPU one with standard config; both are almost the same $$$ with educational discount, and depending this, maybe...

brdeveloper

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Brasil
I'm about to get a 15" rMBP, but I'm a little bit worried with those display problems; being such an expensive machine... it's hard to understand.

The thing is, first, which version is better? Samsung or LG?

And secondly, the probability of getting LG/SAMSUNG is the same in both Iris pro version and 750m version? I'm struggling deciding between the only-Iris-Pro upgraded to 512SSD and 2.5GHZ, or the dGPU one with standard config; both are almost the same $$$ with educational discount, and depending this, maybe...

Forget finding a justification for buying a rMBP. All the Retina screens will suffer from uneven tint to some extent -- most noticeably a magentaish-to-yellowish gradient. Even iMacs suffer from the same issue. Every consumer IPS display has this issue. Maybe rMBPs show a more pronounceable effect because of its huge resolution or because of laptop form factor constraints.

Think on buying a Retina Macbook because of its nice performance, battery life, trackpad, PCIe SSD an so on. A matte high-res TN display can be more calibration-friendly than a Retina MBP. Of course you'd get limited viewing angles, but once you're well positioned in front of it, chances are that your pictures would print accurately after editing. On Retina displays, you can calibrate the magenta part or the yellowish part, but not both.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Same. It makes me laugh when people in this very thread say stuff like we are picky, our standards are too high or the display technology isn't up to our "dream standards".

It's plainly ********. As I have had two 17" MacBook Pro's from Apple that used TN panels and they looked perfect, no blotchy uneven colours. Same goes for my iPad Air my iPhone 6 etc

This is the first time I've ever owned a display out of the probably 50 I've had over my life time that I've ever had a colour inconsistency issue with so I know it's not us, this computer display is crap.

+1. When I pay way more for a laptop, I expect more. What part of that is unreasonable? It's that simple. Either Apple cuts their prices or increase their quality.

luisjoserivera

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2015
Very interesting

Hello everybody.

First of all, I live in Dominican Republic. We don't have Apple Stores here.
We only have Authorised Stores / Resellers, that have some minor stock and must of the time, they buy the products upon request from a customer (and double the cost of the product).

Anyway... I went to one local store to order a rMBP 15" with all the options maxed. I received the rMBP on January 12. Sadly (not sure anymore if I should be sad about it) one week after, I noticed that my rMBP was not exactly what I ordered and payed.

While trying to learn how the GPU auto switching works, I discovered mine never switched... why? because I never got what i asked... My rMBP only had the Intel Iris Pro (Yeah, I was like "WTF?? Where is my geforce gt 750m?"), I got the base 15" rMBP, with the CPU maxed (2.8) and the SSD of 512 GB. :mad::mad::mad:

Obviously I contacted the store, the said it was a mistake and told me to keep this one for one week until they receive a new one full specs as I ordered. I said "Ok".

Yesterday they gave me the new rMBP with the 2.8 GHz / 16 GB of ram / 1 TB SSD / geForce GT 750m, and let me kept the wrong one till today, so I have time to move all my stuffs to the new computer.

While watching the two rMBP one beside the other (like everyone would do with two brand new laptops) me and one of my college started to notice that the screen of the "Correct" one was a little yellower (yes... we could say it was just warmer, probably must people wouldn't argue if they don't see one beside the other).

Immediately I started to search on internet about a posible issue with the displays and found this thread. After a long reading about posibles reasons (the big deal of LG vs Samsung), I decided to check who was the manufacturer of the displays of both rMBP.

Like everybody here, I copied the Terminal script and hit enter.
For some reason the "WRONG" rMBP didn't respond a **** after pressing enter (like many has complained about not getting anything in return), but the "CORRECT" (yes, the one with the warmer color, but the correct specs) rMBP did respond:

Color LCD
LP154WT1-SJE1
DCN447100RUFD4NA6

So, I was like "Dam... is an LG and according to must people LG display on rMBP are *****" and in my furious head I assumed the "WRONG" rMBP came with a GOOD and SHINNY Samsung display.

Later, while reading other threads, I found someone who wrote something saying that the terminal script to determine the manufacturer, only works in the rMBPs that have the dGPU (Discrete GPU).

Then I was there... smoking a cigarette... sitting in front of these 2 brand new rMPBs 15" Mid-2014... at 3:00 AM.... thinking.... "What if I switch the display of the WRONG one with the display of the CORRECT one?"... "it seems like I already have my solution in front of me".... "everybody have been requesting replacements trying to get the correct display, but I already have a really good looking display and a PERFECT LOOKING display here." so, as you might expect the journey begun and ended 3 hours later (i took all the time of the world to ensure everything was perfect).

Now I have the display I wanted in the rMBP I requested. :D :cool:

BUT WAIT

They real thing I wanted to share is that after switching displays I ran the Terminal script again to confirm the display manufacturer of this other screen (assuming it was a Samsung) but buddy, I was wrong. This is what I got:

Color LCD
LP154WT1-SJE1
DCN446206LQFD4NAM

So, if you compare it with the one above, you'll notice they are indeed the same display model and that the only difference is the production date. This basically tell us that is not really about the manufacturer, but is more about luck.... it seems like these manufacturers can't produce all displays perfectly equal.

Hope my story might help somebody at some point in history....
Good luck

PS: no IR and not a single dead pixel on any of the displays. :)

2015-01-28%2001.29.07.jpg

Reactions: ressac

f54da

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2021
Sorry for necro, but has anyone seen yellowing appear on their 2013-2015mbp as a result of screen aging? I'm seeing that the entire center of the screen has become more yellow than the edges. (Or put another way, the edges of my screen are cooler/bluer than the middle). And this is pattern is perfectly uniform, the yellowing starts an inch in from the edge and is a perfect rectangle:

Code:
|---------------|
|       blue    |
|  -----------  |
|  |         |  |
|  |  yellow |  |
|  |         |  |
|   ----------  |
|               |
|---------------|

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.