Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has updated the Apple TV today with a new channel for Sports Illustrated's 120 SPORTS network. 120 SPORTS was launched last year on iPhone, iPad and other platforms as a streaming platform for major sports leagues, including the MLB, NHL, NBA, PGA TOUR, Nascar and leading college divisions. The digital-only network offers 76 hours of live content and more than 1,200 on-demand video clips each week.

120-Sports-Apple-TV-800x298.jpg
The 120 SPORTS channel provides sports fans with a collection of recent in-game highlights and other video content through the built-in Catch-Up and Timeline modes. Catch-Up provides a curated stream of the latest videos pertaining to trending sports topics, while Timeline allows users to watch the live 120 SPORTS stream and videos in reverse chronological order.
"With this latest launch, we are happy to provide our fans with a new platform to experience 120 Sports," said 120 Sports president Jason Coyle. "We will continue to explore even more ways to deliver up-to-the-minute sports news to our current fans and new audiences, when and where they want it."
MacRumors can confirm that 120 SPORTS was added to the third-generation Apple TV, although the channel has yet to appear on the second-generation set-top box.

120_sports_apple_tv-800x480.jpg
The new channel arrives just a few weeks after the Apple TV was refreshed with Tennis Channel Everywhere, providing access to live court streaming and other on-demand coverage. Australian viewers were also treated to a new channel for Cricket.com.au earlier this month. Apple TV's existing sports channels include WatchESPN, MLB.TV Premium, NFL Now, NHL GameCenter, MLS Live, WWE Network, Red Bull TV, Willow and UFC.TV.

Article Link: Apple TV Updated with Sports Illustrated's New 120 SPORTS Channel

mdmost

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011
The two biggest Sports apps Apple could add right now are Fox Sports Go and NBC Sports Extra. Fox Sports Go at least supports Airplay.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
The two biggest Sports apps Apple could add right now are Fox Sports Go and NBC Sports Extra. Fox Sports Go at least supports Airplay.

Doubtful. Fox Sports Go is not available on any set top boxes. Apparently Fox does not want the content easily available on tvs.

KirkTheJerk

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2010
Wow!

This is amazing. This channel makes the apple tv the total package now. Cant wait to watch highlights from the 1993 PGA pro-am. :rolleyes:

jmcrutch

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
No reason to complain about another app being available.

It's easy enough to hide if you don't want it.

It's no better or worse that hundreds of channels that are available via trad cable/sat.

What surprises me is that it seems like some people won't be happy until the AppleTV is literally a trad cable box.

Even tho i won't watch it I'm always glad to see them add to it.

mdmost

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011

It's no better or worse that hundreds of channels that are available via trad cable/sat.

What surprises me is that it seems like some people won't be happy until the AppleTV is literally a trad cable box.

If it can replace a cable box then it's another way to allow people to not have to rent additional boxes from their providers.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

Why does something as mundane as adding a channel require an OS update?

CleverTrousers

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2008
...and we still don't have any way to organize all these icons?

I realize this is kind of a "First-world Problem", but by now shouldn't we have a better method for organizing all these icons, beyond turning them off in the Settings, and using the clunky click-and-hold trick to nudge the icons around?

Shouldn't we be able to make folders or something, maybe with the iOS Remote app?

greg55

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2014
Perhaps a useful channel!

Quick question: My third generation ATV still does not have the new YouTube channel. I've restarted and unplugged the thing multiple times. Any ideas? Thanks.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I keep hoping for Plex... I know it's a sad empty hope.. but I keep it none the less.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia

Yeah, while I don't use the vast majority of the channels available (all the ones that require a cable subscription, for example,) it doesn't bother me that they're there.

What annoys me is adding them suddenly, with no notice. I'd rather see a pop-up the next time I start up/wake my AppleTV "Hey, we added three new channels - A, B, and C; do you want to: Add them all, Hide them all, Choose individually? Less jarring than "Why are my icons out of order? What the hell is this random new icon?"

I'll be interested to know how they handle it moving forward - if you enable them all (as I'm sure many less-tech-savvy people do, not knowing how to move/hide them,) it's pretty darned full right now. And for my grandma (who, yes, has an AppleTV,) if her most-used items are at the top and bottom, that's a lot of scrolling. (Yes, I've taught her how to hide the new items she doesn't care about, and how to rearrange items. But many others out there don't know how.)

Apple needs to add folders, soon. "Automatic" folders for things like "Sports", "Premium Movie Services", "Kids Networks" would be good. The ability to manually create would be good, too.

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Whoop! Another channel for the United World of America!

Seriously though, what about the rest of the world? All these new channels are useless and hold no interest to the majority of the world. For example, the UK is a huge market so what about deals with BBC iPlayer or other major channels?

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

Seriously though, what about the rest of the world? All these new channels are useless and hold no interest to the majority of the world. For example, the UK is a huge market so what about deals with BBC iPlayer or other major channels?

Isn't that something you should take up with the BBC?

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013

Question... Do these US only channels show up on your Apple TV automatically?

----------

Take that up with BBC. It seems they don't want to support Apple TV.

http://m.imore.com/bbc-comes-clean-why-theres-no-iplayer-apple-tv

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.