Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b0fh666

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2012
south
count me in.

some time ago i let it auto update and when i saw that crappy red icon i knew i was in for a world of hurt :D

apple should really get their crap together.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
also now I can not get pacifist to run, tells me it is corrupted and when I try to use Rip it whole thing hangs on me with the latest updates to Mountain Lion.

I think Yosemite is fugly, so flat and boring, thought of getting a HP Windows Laptop because I have had to reload the os twice in order to get bugs out of it, may think about reloading it one more time and not doing any updates, also you can not sync your iOS phone if your on 10.7 so I am screwed either way.

So tired of Johnny running the iOS and OS departments, everything has become boring to look at.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I saw one person in another thread describe the flat look as "fresh and modern". That person must be 12 years old because as someone that went through all of the old windows versions this look is retro, regressing to the early windows days. With time os's progressed from the flat stage to having substance, now "everything old is new again". I really hope it passes.

helix142

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2013
Sidebar

I miss the sidebar, actually I'm rather pi$$ed that they took it away:mad:. Yes, I know there's the playlist view but that lacks most of the functionality of the sidebar

Reactions: CreatorCode

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Yes, yes...

I get lost in the new Get info... it seems a more simplified version.

But lucky i installed Yosemite under VMWare Fusion, so it's all ok..

I never upgraded to iTunes 12 on main machine, or my mac mini,, both are still running 11.3.1.

I too miss the side-bar at all times

BPD57

macrumors newbie
Sep 18, 2014
Australia
count me in.

some time ago i let it auto update and when i saw that crappy red icon i knew i was in for a world of hurt :D

apple should really get their crap together.

iTunes 12 is the pits and I'm not overly thrilled with Yosemite. I wish I had stayed with Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion. Trouble is, I doubt I can return to either of those OS versions because of changes to the email, music and picture databases. I'd appreciate any thoughts on that.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

It's not simplified. It is designed for looks instead of functionality, and the functionality is severely broken.

1. Going through info of several items to see if they are consistent is impossible because the formatting of the info depends on the data.

2. Command-N / Command-P for next and previous don't work if the cursor is inside an item that can be edited.

3. You can't edit the year when Media Kind = Audiobook. WTF????

4. Audiobooks have a field "Release date" which seems to be fixed sometime in June 1905. WTF squared????????????

5. You can't add comments without first adding a "comment" field.

6. You can't change the "media kind" once a song is added to iTunes Match.

7 After adding songs, you get warnings about editing getting lost because iTunes Match is running. This is bad. What's worse is that editing is getting lost while iTunes Match is running. For example, change Media Kind of 80 chapters of an Audiobook for "Music" to "Audiobook", one or two files won't get changed.

8. After changing the media kind to audiobook, you can't change the year, so you change back to music, edit the year, change back to audiobook, one or two files won't get changed (see above).

Any more serious bugs that you know? Seriously, there is "testing" and there is "trying out everything". It looks like many things have not actually been tried, or obvious bugs have just been ignored. And that's just "Get Info" which is lots of significant and annoying problems in just one bit of minor functionality.

Note: 1000 thanks to Partron22: "Get Info" with the option key held down fixes problems 1-5 and 8 is not the annoying problem anymore.

Last edited:

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Hold down the option key while selecting Get Info from the contextual menu. You'll get the old Get Info back.

Real side bar would be nice, as would multiple windows again. Search just keeps getting harder to wrangle into showing what I want, in the view I want to see it in.
There's still no way to see album art in anything over 512X512, and no lock feature to prevent inadvertant changes to the music library.
I'm running the App on a Mac, not some damned iPod.

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
ah ok .... so this is the way Apple does thing now.. ?

Keep the old stuff in, and unless u know what your doing you won't find it ?

I do favor Apple making users want to use the new features or GUI changes of iTunes 12, but at least Mavericks has a option to "reveal the hidden library folder"

You've think Apple would actually favor and ask themselves "What if users still want this..." I don't think they do though.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Hold down the option key while selecting Get Info from the contextual menu. You'll get the old Get Info back.

I just tried whether holding down the option key while voting your post up would give you +100 votes. Unfortunately it doesn't work :mad:

You're a life saver. Most of the totally annoying bugs that I reported are instantly gone. WTF Apple? What is wrong with these guys?

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
I always though Apple should allow icon choices, both from their own designers and from others. It would be like wallpaper or ringtones and wouldn't affect anything but the look or mess up the OS in any way. Most people wouldn't bother, but the idea that they could would change their outlook.

JuryDuty

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2014
Texas
Count me out - I'm fine with it. It does what it's supposed to do.

Yes, works ok for me too, but I have to admit: iTunes is mattering less and less to me. As technology advances, I find myself not playing my 10,000+ songs and hundreds of movies in iTunes. Instead, I'm moving more toward streaming services like Spotify and Vudu. They're available anywhere and don't take up space on my hard drive.

I've loved iTunes for years, but I foresee a day when it becomes irrelevant.

Partron22

macrumors 68030
Apr 13, 2011
Yes
Yes, works ok for me too, but I have to admit: iTunes is mattering less and less to me.
Yup, what we have here are at least two groups of people, who use iTunes in very different ways. There are some who'd be upset if Apple stripped out internet and iTunes radio, and some, not so much.

thekb

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partron22 View Post

I just tried whether holding down the option key while voting your post up would give you +100 votes. Unfortunately it doesn't work :mad:

You're a life saver. Most of the totally annoying bugs that I reported are instantly gone. WTF Apple? What is wrong with these guys?

Looks like iTunes 12.1 just "fixed" this work around. Until today, I could hold down Option while clicking 'Get Info' and it would bring up the old format, but they appear to have taken this trick away. GREAT! Why in the world would we want to keep something that works well and doesn't hurt anyone?? Thanks Apple. :confused:

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
3. You can't edit the year when Media Kind = Audiobook. WTF????

4. Audiobooks have a field "Release date" which seems to be fixed sometime in June 1905. WTF squared????????????

5. You can't add comments without first adding a "comment" field.

8. After changing the media kind to audiobook, you can't change the year, so you change back to music, edit the year, change back to audiobook, one or two files won't get changed (see above).
All of these work as expected for me, with the new info window.

ItWasNotMe

macrumors 6502
Dec 1, 2012
It's not simplified. It is designed for looks instead of functionality, and the functionality is severely broken...

"Get Info" with the option key held down ....

The took this away with the latest release:(

9. You can no longer enter multi-line comment fields, either directly or by pasting text (they show if they already exist)
10. You cannot select text in a field by positioning the cursor right of the last character and dragging left, though you can by positioning left of the first character and dragging right :confused:

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
I concur that iTunes 12 is a complete shambles. Such a shame since 11 seemed (for once) a step in the right direction. For my main music playing computer, I still use iTunes 4. Back when iTunes was a music player and not an everything tool that sucks at most things it offers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.