Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 30, 2012
I know this subject has been beaten to death but I just wanted to report on my experience. I've had my 6 plus SG since about a month after launch. It's been in an Apple black leather case and has a screen protector (the anti glare $18 ripoff they sell at the Apple Store) since day 1. I also added an extreme guard back protector (1.99 on eBay) a few weeks after just to give an anti chafe protection from the case. I sell my phone every year and try to keep it pristine.

Anyway...I have dropped this thing pretty hard several times and have had no damage. The leather case is nice because scuffs and scratches kind of heal themselves after a day or so of use. I have 2 boys under the age of 4 and they've stepped on my phone while it is laying on the couch or bed and no problems. The other day I stood on it by accident, no problem. I've had it in tighter dress pants pockets and sat down and no problem. I'm not saying I've totally abused it but it's had its chances to get bent or broken and it's still perfect. I really like this phone and I'm glad I took the chance on it considering all the crazy bending reports leading up to my purchase.

rugmankc

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2014
I have laid mine on my center console in my SUV. It laid on top of a flexible lid to a storage compartment under the lid.

I have twice now accidentally placed my palm on it to lift and readjust in the seat for either repositioning my coat or getting my seat belt.

I did feel it give with the flexible lid underneath. No damage.

I think for most folks it is very durable--:apple:

klo6

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
Ohio
My husband and I have the 6+'s and I would have to agree these phones really are pretty durable. We try to take excellent care of our phones...but we're human. ;) Mine dropped flat on its face from about 4' off the ground on to concrete and all it did was break the corner of the Zagg glass I had on it (which thanks to their lifetime warranty, the protector has already been replaced!). My husband is a gym teacher and his dropped on its corner on to the basketball court, he panicked and didn't want to see how bad he ruined his phone so he made me take its case off to inspect the damage...but there wasn't any! The phone still looks flawless! By far these are the best phones we've ever had!! :)

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
My husband and I have the 6+'s and I would have to agree these phones really are pretty durable. We try to take excellent care of our phones...but we're human. ;) Mine dropped flat on its face from about 4' off the ground on to concrete and all it did was break the corner of the Zagg glass I had on it (which thanks to their lifetime warranty, the protector has already been replaced!). My husband is a gym teacher and his dropped on its corner on to the basketball court, he panicked and didn't want to see how bad he ruined his phone so he made me take its case off to inspect the damage...but there wasn't any! The phone still looks flawless! By far these are the best phones we've ever had!! :)

Surely it's the case and screen protector that are worthy of praise in these instances?
I would hate to drop *any* phone because they're all likely to get scratched at the very least. There is just the added danger with a thin, aluminium phone with a big glass screen...

klo6

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2014
Ohio
Surely it's the case and screen protector that are worthy of praise in these instances?
I would hate to drop *any* phone because they're all likely to get scratched at the very least. There is just the added danger with a thin, aluminium phone with a big glass screen...

Sure, I would concede that they contributed. But I wouldn't give them ALL the praise as mine is in a really thin casemate with very little "lip" on to the front. And the sound it made when it smacked the ground made my stomach flip! Sounded as if the screen was going to be shattered in to a million pieces! I even let it sit there for a couple mins before I picked it up cause I was too chicken to look. :eek:

My husband's is in a thin spigen. Without putting it in an otterbox/lifeproof, I wouldn't think many cases are really meant to be dropped about 5' on to the corner on a hard surface without there being ANY damage.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I slipped my 6+ into Sedio Surface and have treeated like any other phone and it is still scratched and like new. I am a holster type so no pockets for me. My 6+ is the best iPhone I have ever owned.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Try opening the Air Drop menu from control centre...

Just did it. Worked fine. What was supposed to happen?

I'm convinced that different individuals have different sensitivities to these frame rate dips. I've taken my phone in and was told it's normal. TWICE. I can reproduce them on all display models.

I finally gave up. It's just a fact of life. I hand the phone to my wife and she has no idea what I'm going on about.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
I'm convinced that different individuals have different sensitivities to these frame rate dips. I've taken my phone in and was told it's normal. TWICE. I can reproduce them on all display models.

I finally gave up. It's just a fact of life. I hand the phone to my wife and she has no idea what I'm going on about.

Yep. As a gamer since the age of 4, I'm pretty sensitive to FPS discrepancies.

Jstuts5797

macrumors 6502a
Dec 15, 2013
I rock my 6+ completely naked and STILL no scratches, dings, or scuff marks! I couldn't say that about my 5s at this point. Those chamfered edges were just awful. So glad they are gone! This has by far been the most durable iphone I've had. I think the least durable for me was the 4s and it was still a great phone lol

Letmeinn

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2015
Id cry if people stepped on my phone or if i stepped on my phonr (not literally but you get the point lol id be pretty pissed off and upset)

Dam i would never step on my phone lol it cant ever touch the floor for me thats just one rule for me and electronics,

----------

I rock my 6+ completely naked and STILL no scratches, dings, or scuff marks! I couldn't say that about my 5s at this point. Those chamfered edges were just awful. So glad they are gone! This has by far been the most durable iphone I've had. I think the least durable for me was the 4s and it was still a great phone lol

I agree, these new iPhones not having chamfered edges makes the body look and stay pristine for much longer with no scratches

Jayson A

macrumors 68030
Sep 16, 2014

No problem here either. It's smooth as everything else. I don't know what you're doing.

rgarjr

macrumors 604
Apr 2, 2009
Southern California
Those chamfered edges were just awful. So glad they are gone! This has by far been the most durable iphone I've had. I think the least durable for me was the 4s and it was still a great phone lol

Yeah they looked nice and shiny but they were scratch magnets. Just like the back if the iPod classics.

tills24

macrumors regular
May 10, 2010
I know this subject has been beaten to death but I just wanted to report on my experience. I've had my 6 plus SG since about a month after launch. It's been in an Apple black leather case and has a screen protector (the anti glare $18 ripoff they sell at the Apple Store) since day 1. I also added an extreme guard back protector (1.99 on eBay) a few weeks after just to give an anti chafe protection from the case. I sell my phone every year and try to keep it pristine.

Does the Extreme Guard Back Protector go under the leather case? I have the 6, not the 6+, and the Apple leather case, but if I can get some extra protection, it'll be worth it.

Is it this one?

http://www.xtremeguard.com/product-p/carbon-fiber-ip647-white.htm

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.