Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nouveau-apple

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 29, 2014
I was just noticing that the icon of the clock app on the iPhone says the correct time but also has a functioning second hand.

Then I thought, if they could do that, how come other apps can't display information?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Yes, Apple meant to do that. It started with iOS 7. If you look at the Calendar.app as well, you will also see the correct date.

Jailbreakers have had this since at least iOS 5 - if not earlier.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Nope, apple did it by mistake. The clock "god" entered the phone and started moving the second hand.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I was just noticing that the icon of the clock app on the iPhone says the correct time but also has a functioning second hand.

Then I thought, if they could do that, how come other apps can't display information?

Something like this does NOT happen by accident!

There seems to be few if any apps that do this so Apple is reserving this for themselves. I would bet there would be way more active icons if Apple would allow. Just think of the possibilities.

If Apple did allow such a thing our home screens would be crazy!

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
All advantages to jailbreaking.

I had live weather on my weather app under iOS 6. Of course, I swapped the icon for the one from Yahoo Weather and made the stock weather icon open Yahoo Weather, but live weather was there.

Apple may have reserved this to themselves but that certainly didn't stop jailbreakers from using it two or more versions of iOS before Apple chose to use it.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
People have long since been talking about app icons that actually give real time information.

For whatever reason Apple doesn't seem to feel this is necessary. I would be all for it but, like everything iOS, it's up to Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.