Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I bet against, there will be new Android flagships released earlier than the M9, so it will be MRU's third or fourth device 2015 ;)

Probably right there..although wasn't the M8 released last March? I'm not sure of any other flagships set to be released prior to March (Galaxy in April/May, LG in July, Note 5, Moto X, Xperia Z4 all late summer early autumn--all estimates/guesses based on last year's releases of course).

Regardless, we both know it won't be his ONLY Android handset next year. :D

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
This and the LG G4 are the phones I'm looking for most in 2015, although I'm disappointed with both their update policies with their current flagships: the Lollipop update for the G3 still hasn't resolve the lag issue for many, while the Lollipop update for the M8 is still nowhere to be seen.

I've been disappointed by the way most manufacturers are handling their respective Lollipop update.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
I am disappointed that there was nothing from HTC about the M9 at CES. I guess we will have to wait until the normal release time-frame around March.

lowendlinux

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2014
Germany
Sony opened the way first with only 1080p and amazing battery life
Now HTC, please listen the market and make a real compact size phone of your flagship such as Z3 Compact
Boomshit, please remove it, everybody use earbuds or headset
We want slimmer bezels :p

I don't unless I'm on the treadmill, that's one of the nice things about my phone

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
HTC's next flagship smartphone is coming March 1 in Barcelona

HTC's next flagship smartphone is coming March 1 in Barcelona

HTC has sent out invites for a major launch on March 1 in Barcelona, just as Mobile World Congress gets underway. Naturally, this is where we're expecting to see the company's next big Android smartphone — the phone we're expecting to be called the HTC One M9.

After a tempestuous 2014, HTC will be looking to kick off its 2015 product cycle with the successor to one of our favorite devices of the past year, the HTC One M8. Rumors suggest it'll run Qualcomm's latest Snapdragon 810 chip, rock a 5-inch 1080p display, and perhaps ditch the "Ultrapixel" camera of old in favor of a traditional high-megapixel sensor.

The invite's tag line, "utopia in progress," doesn't give much away, but you can bet we'll be live from Barcelona in six weeks to bring you full coverage of one of the most important Android launches of the year.

ac-htc-invite-mar1.jpg

http://www.androidcentral.com/htcs-next-flagship-smartphone-coming-march-1-barcelona

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
I just sold an M8 I had for a bit, very nice phone but personally for me I do not like the metal bodies on my phones. I do not like the feel of it in hand and they cant take near the abuse

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Today's leaks look really nice! I feel like a giddy schoolgirl seeing them. I finally jumped on the Android bandwagon with the OnePlus but now I'm really excited about Android offerings in 2015.

As big of a field day Apple is having with the iPhone 6 and 6+, I personally find them more boring than ever. Isn't that strange? I don't know what it is, but when I picked up my iPhone 6 recently, I just couldn't find myself enjoying it anymore. I don't find iOS any dramatically smoother than Cyanogen and in fact find it actually slower! Also, all those extra Cyanogen features just can't be beat. Double-tap to wake and swipe up to sleep are life-changing features! (I'm being dramatic, but they really make using smartphones easier).

I'm glad HTC is potentially bringing exciting stuff to the Android table. I hope they nail the camera this time. The camera is the only one area I think the iPhone has every Android device beat. I know some people say the Note 4 or the Nexus 6 cameras are better, but I'm not so sure.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009

http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_one_m9_and_m9_plus_official_photos_leak-news-10967.php

Wow, amazing if its true. Seems like 2015 will be with great flagships

I'm going to first preface that my next comment would usually be regarded as trolling flame bait, especially here in the Alternatives subforum but want to emphasize that's not my intention and that it's genuinely meant to be complimentary.

<braces himself for the onslaught...>

Those bear a serious resemblance to the latest iPhones. And IMO, it's a good thing.

I'm not making any accusations that HTC is just copying Apple. In fact, the latest iPhones have a serious resemblance in some ways (rear panel) to the last two HTC flagships. What I think they've done (assuming these are genuine), is perfect the design and form factor. I know many don't like the iPhone design because let's face it, while striking in layout and build materials, they also are more susceptible to easy damage, having so much glass and aluminum. That being said, I think they are very elegant, feel solid and sturdy in one's hand, and are genuinely very well made. I personally find the HTC One devices to be the Android equivalent.

These devices from HTC appear to follow in that vein and then improve on it. They've taken the best of their last two flagships and improved their greatest flaws. Love or hate the iPhone, the full glass front with the waterfall type edge feels terrific in hand and to use, especially when it so seamlessly transitions to the rounded aluminum edges. Gone are the gigantic forehead and chin, presumed to be necessary to accommodate the boom speakers, yet retaining the stereo speaker layout. Shrink the bezels on the iPhone and this is what you'd get.

My only disappointment is regarding the larger device. I think the design on the left is gorgeous--clean, simple, elegant. I hate that HTC feels the need to follow suit and integrate a fingerprint sensor into the larger device (my preferred size now) and muck up the design a bit.

I used a developer edition of the original HTC One much of 2013 and found it to be a fantastic experience, save for the camera (of course). I find Sense to be the software equivalent of HTC's hardware design--clean, elegant, simple and the best of the Android skins. Considering both these images and recent specs leaks, I'm REALLY looking forward to HTC's event early March. These devices have the potential to be the near perfect Android handsets.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
The M9 looks awesome. Finally smaller bezels, speakers look better (because they are kind of hided). It looks like the iPhone 6.

Give it a good camera and bigger battery and you have a winner.

The M9 looks horrible on the other hand, with that weird button apart from the on screen ones.

KUPARA

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2013
Double-tap to wake and swipe up to sleep are life-changing features! (I'm being dramatic, but they really make using smartphones easier).

Well actually you can get that on iOS also, if you jailbreak. I use swipe down to sleep and fingerprint touch to wake.

I'm getting bored of iOS lately and deffo planning to jump to Android, but it must be noted that a jailbroken iPhone can be even more customised than an Android. Jailbreak is a must for an advanced user.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
810...pariah or powerhouse given qualcomm losing a flagship line; probably Samsung's based upon speculation.

epicrayban

macrumors 604
Nov 7, 2014
Well actually you can get that on iOS also, if you jailbreak. I use swipe down to sleep and fingerprint touch to wake.

I'm getting bored of iOS lately and deffo planning to jump to Android, but it must be noted that a jailbroken iPhone can be even more customised than an Android. Jailbreak is a must for an advanced user.

But I get this without jail breaking on the oneplus. :D its just there in the settings. I just either turn it on or off.

I do hear jail breaking opens up a lot and just like I wish google would add the features others have added to android, I wish apple would add the features I keep hearing about from jail breaking.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Original poster
Aug 7, 2011
US
Really excited about the M9......
Not a fan of gold phones but this looks good....

HTC-One-M9-2015-Coque-Or-01.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.