Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ollie.x

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 28, 2015
Hi,

after running a few searches, I found quite a few complaints about lagginess on the new iMac Retina on Yosemite. I'm experiencing troubles as well, but had high hopes in 10.10.2. Installed it - no real improvement.

Here are my machine specs:

iMac 4 GHz | 32GB | 1TB SSD | 925 gfx card
10.10.2, usually with 2nd 1920 screen attached, and +/- 10 programs running.

Except for Little Snitch and ScreenFlow (telestream), I don't have any 3rd party Kernel Extensions installed. Did a full disk repair / permissions, SMC and PRAM reset, ....

I did start the system in safe mode, where the UI got super laggy ... so even worse. Not sure if this might be normal behavior in safe boot!?

Anyhow - if I have, say, 3 windows open in Safari and want to show all open app windows, it takes a little more than 1 second - but the animation isn't anywhere near smooth, but literally happens in two steps - so there's only one frame in between full windows and all program windows. Same goes for expose - only one frame in between.

Another thing I experience: When hooking up a second display and I click a window on the screen not already active, the menu bar shows some weird behavior - the icons flash and there's some pixelation (like when a gfx card is cooked), before the menu bar goes back to normal. I thought Bartender app might be the issue, but even after deactivating it, the symptom persists.

Plus, kernel_task takes up 1,7GB, window server 1GB RAM. Might be normal ...

Anyhow: If anyone has crucial input on this, I might not be the only one profiting from it. Maybe something wrong with the 925 RAM itself?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.