Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h.Matt

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2014
For iPhone 6 with case such as Power Support Air Jacket - should i get the kenu airframe or airframe+? did someone try the airframe on iphone 6 with a case on it? if so, do you recommend it?

Suspended
Oct 14, 2014
Hi, I actually do not own the product but I plan to buy one.
If you check the FAQs, they say the following:
Airframe+ is designed for wider phones, phablets and cases than Airframe. Airframe+ works with phones or cases up to 3.4 inches wide, while Airframe works with phones and cases up to 3 inches wide.
There is also an image showing the difference. I think both will fit your phone (I am not sure though, I prefer centimeters!) but for such a small difference I would go for the airframe +.

h.Matt

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2014
Hi, I actually do not own the product but I plan to buy one.
If you check the FAQs, they say the following:

There is also an image showing the difference. Both will fit your iPhone but for such a small difference I would go for the airframe +.

thats right, but look at the airframe+, dont you think it look bit more cheaper? also, i seems that the airframe+ doesnt have that kind of silicone / whatever soft material it is at the sides (it look like it made from cheap plastic)... what do you say?

Catcher

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
I have the iPhone 6 and the standard airframe and it works just fine. Also still some give and that's in an Apple silicone case.

leesam

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I was wondering the same thing. The + actually looks better to me because of the all black style. The padding doesnt matter to me since i have a case on my phone.

h.Matt

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2014
I have the iPhone 6 and the standard airframe and it works just fine. Also still some give and that's in an Apple silicone case.

so it works fine with case? i wont have to worry that the airframe will brake everytime i put the iphone in?

----------

I was wondering the same thing. The + actually looks better to me because of the all black style. The padding doesnt matter to me since i have a case on my phone.

it look more slippery than the airframe... so maybe it doesnt hold the phone as good as the airframe - but, again, that how it look like from the photos and i didnt try it.

Catcher

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2011
standard size fits absolutely fine with a case, at least with the Apple silicone it does.

Taco1933

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2014
I've had both. They're the same, but one can go a little wider and is a different color. When "at rest," they're both about the same size. The plus can just extend wider, so if you're worried about size, get the plus.

leesam

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
so it works fine with case? i wont have to worry that the airframe will brake everytime i put the iphone in?

----------

it look more slippery than the airframe... so maybe it doesnt hold the phone as good as the airframe - but, again, that how it look like from the photos and i didnt try it.

Reading the reviews on Amazon and I didn't see anyone complain about the phone slipping out of the actual grippers. I don't know, I think I am just going to order the airframe+ today. Will post a review here when I get it.

----------

I've had both. They're the same, but one can go a little wider and is a different color. When "at rest," they're both about the same size. The plus can just extend wider, so if you're worried about size, get the plus.

Ahh good to know. That sealed the deal for me. Thanks for sharing that.

Suspended
Oct 14, 2014
thats right, but look at the airframe+, dont you think it look bit more cheaper? also, i seems that the airframe+ doesnt have that kind of silicone / whatever soft material it is at the sides (it look like it made from cheap plastic)... what do you say?
I kind of prefer the look of the airframe but not because it looks cheaper, I just like it more. I can see what should be the soft material on the airframe+, check the lighter color on the borders, they look similar to the grey used in the airframe.

arliu

macrumors regular
May 1, 2011
i have both airframe and airframe+. Had to get the plus for my 6+. if anyone wants a perfectly fine airframe, i'll sell it for 10 bucks shipped. Pm if you want.

Suspended
Oct 14, 2014
Just received mine (airframe+). I would describe it as a well made piece of plastic that does its job.
The soft material is the same as the airframe. It is just a little difficult to see it on their site because of the black.

edlex

macrumors 68020
Apr 14, 2010
Miami
Just received mine (airframe+). I would describe it as a well made piece of plastic that does its job.
The soft material is the same as the airframe. It is just a little difficult to see it on their site because of the black.

I just ordered the + for my 6 plus and I was wondering if it difficult to put on and take off the vents? Does it feel like it will scratch or damage the vent in any way?

w4rmk

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2006
I've been using the AirFrame+ for my 6 Plus for about a month. I bought it because I travel a lot for business and drive a lot of rental cars. It works great and I haven't found a rental car yet that I couldn't use it with. It's perfect for holding the phone so I can see the GPS navigation while driving. I wish they made the + version in a different color because I am always worried about forgetting to remove it when I return the rental car. I don't think it's the best solution for everyday use in my personal car because it takes some work to get the 6 Plus between the prongs. You really have to stretch them and I usually use 2 hands to make sure that I don't damage the vent fins. I couldn't see myself doing this every time I get in and out of my personal car. For occasional rental car use when you want to see the Nav display this product is ideal. It's nice and small and fits easily into my laptop bag. It's truly a traveler's best friend!

roguefury

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2010
[REDACTED]
I've been using the AirFrame+ for my 6 Plus for about a month. I bought it because I travel a lot for business and drive a lot of rental cars. It works great and I haven't found a rental car yet that I couldn't use it with. It's perfect for holding the phone so I can see the GPS navigation while driving. I wish they made the + version in a different color because I am always worried about forgetting to remove it when I return the rental car.

Chiming in...same here, I love my AirFrame+ as a frequent traveler. I had several of the original Airframes, one for my personal vehicle, and another in my travel bag. It was one of the best, overlooked, purchases I made. They are small, work on every type of car imaginable, and along with a small usb plug and Google Maps, make work travel so much easier.

Like w4mk said, though, I wish the AF+ were made in a bright color. Some weeks, I may end up in 3 different rental cars - city to city - and the last thing I want to forget in a car is my AF+, because it visually blends in with the air vents.

thelookingglass

macrumors 68020
Apr 27, 2005
We're talking about the car mount right? lol. Thought Kenu came out with a case or something. I got this thing and loved it. Then I got a car with a robust enough in-car nav system, that I don't need to use the iPhone anymore. But, this was great while I had it. Highly recommended

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
iPhone 6 - Kenu Airframe or Kenu Airframe+

I live in a cold climate. How bad is it for the phone to have hot air blowing on it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.