Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Do you think there will still be Android tablets and Ipads in 5 years time? I really hope so Because not everyone wants a Windows 8 tablet as they mostly prefer to use Android tablets or Ipads.

And all so i don't really want to use Windows 8(or 10 in the future) on a 8.4 inch tablet as i prefer to use Android or IOS on a 8 inch tablet.

What do you think everyone?

Renzatic

Suspended
Do you think there will still be Android tablets and Ipads in 5 years time? I really hope so Because not everyone wants a Windows 8 tablet as they mostly prefer to use Android tablets or Ipads.

You just answered your own question. As long as there's a demand for dead simple, consumption oriented tablets, they'll be around.

Even with the rumored iPad Pro on the horizon, I don't see the regular old iPad going anywhere anytime soon.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
We have no idea what the iPad will be in 5 years, or where the industry is going.

A lot can happen in five years.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010

And all so i don't really want to use Windows 8(or 10 in the future) on a 8.4 inch tablet as i prefer to use Android or IOS on a 8 inch tablet.

5yrs is a long time, but I would guess that the PC market will continue to refine and win people over. It will be interesting though how Apple reinvents the iPad and apps to help prevent this. I think their partnerships with others for apps will be key.

Some like me will enjoy the iPad for emails and basic surfing but when at work, I leave my iPad in my bag as the Surface Pro I negates me needing to carry both a laptop and tablet.

MasterRyu2011

macrumors 65816
Aug 22, 2014
I think iOS and Android will still be around in 5 years. What form factors we have in 5 years we don't know.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014

Like many on here i enjoy posting threads and reading comments.

MRU if you don't have anything constructive to say then don't exhaust your intelligence and embarrass yourself by continually posting negativity towards me.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
I don't see how his comment is negative. Posting a question once and maybe another with a variation is nice. But posting the same thing with minuscule deviations adinfinitum probably not so much.

Do you think computing will not be around in five years?

Why would there be windows tablets and not iOS or android. Seems like the setup for a bad movie.

Five years from now on the distant furture all iPads and Samsung Galaxy tabs have disappeared, even the PROS. Humankind is left only with bay trail windows tablets and are on the brink of destruction!

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Are tablets a fad
Is Apple serious about the ipad
Intel: Tablets are a fad
iOS vs Android vs Windows on tablets

And now... Do you think there will still be Android tablets/iPads in 5 years. What answer are you looking for?

I don't think anyone here is privy to the R&D departments of tablet makers, but we can guess based on current trends. Personally I think that windows tablets are shaking things up a bit and we will see Android/iOS gravitate towards a little bit more desktop functionality. I see Android merging with the Chrome OS a bit more. I don't think it will be an extreme change unless windows manages to sell a lot more tablets. But I don't think the era of the "dumb tablet" is over yet, there is this false sense that iOS/Android tablets are simpler to use than windows, coupled with the massive loyalty and unparalleled hardware design from Apple will keep dumb tablet sales high, even if they are declining.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
there is this false sense that iOS/Android tablets are simpler to use than windows, coupled with the massive loyalty and unparalleled hardware design from Apple will keep dumb tablet sales high, even if they are declining.

Sorry i disagree with you.

I think IOS and Android is way more simple and much more easier to use than Windows 8 on tablets at the moment.

It will be the same with Windows 10 as well.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

I think IOS and Android is way more simple and much more easier to use than Windows 8 on tablets at the moment.

Well we can agree to disagree. I never understood the difficulty of using the modern interface on a windows tablet, it doesn't seem complex to me at all. Everyone has different needs and abilities though I suppose.

Mcdevidr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2013
What's hard about the metro interface? There are apps you push them. That's it. I think using desktop apps on a 7-8 inch tablet maybe even 10 is tough. And I didn't like it. When I had the surface pro 3 I used a mouse and keyboard when on the desktop. When I used it to read music from it I used Adobe touch app. Simple.

tevion5

macrumors 68000
Jul 12, 2011
Ireland
What's hard about the metro interface? There are apps you push them. That's it. I think using desktop apps on a 7-8 inch tablet maybe even 10 is tough. And I didn't like it. When I had the surface pro 3 I used a mouse and keyboard when on the desktop. When I used it to read music from it I used Adobe touch app. Simple.

It's not as intuitive as Android or iOS. I have used all 3 systems.

Something as simple as changing your wifi settings in far more laborious in Windows 8 than it is in either of the two major mobile OS's.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
5 years from now ? Who cares ?

That's a million years in the tech world.

5 years ago, no one would have expected 5.5" screen sized phones to become the new norm. It's way too early to make predictions five years away.

cfedu

Suspended
Mar 8, 2009
Toronto

Key words at the moment!!! how do you know that windows tablets and OS X tablets will not be just as easy to use in 5 years?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Like many on here i enjoy posting threads and reading comments.

MRU if you don't have anything constructive to say then don't exhaust your intelligence and embarrass yourself by continually posting negativity towards me.

Because not only did you create this thread, you went ahead and brought a near identical thread back from limbo which asked pretty much the same identical question today also.

Your repeatedly posting the basic same thread topic over and over, and in all of them you fail to actually engage in any meaningful and thoughtful discussion yourself. You selfishly offer no opinion in any of your threads , instead you just pose an elementary opening question - that really does stink of a basic high school / college essay homework title - then seemingly hope people here will do your research for you without any further contribution from yourself.

If you made your agenda blatantly clear - i'd have less objection - but this silly subterfuge in order to get people here to be your research guinea pigs for your coursework is getting quite ridiculous, and becomes disingenuous and insulting to the people here.

Last edited:

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Because not only did you create this thread, you went ahead and brought a near identical thread back from limbo which asked pretty much the same identical question today also.

Your repeatedly posting the basic same thread topic over and over, and in all of them you fail to actually engage in any meaningful and thoughtful discussion yourself. You selfishly offer no opinion in any of your threads , instead you just pose an elementary opening question - that really does stink of a basic high school / college essay homework title - then seemingly hope people here will do your research for you without any further contribution from yourself.

If you made your agenda blatantly clear - i'd have less objection - but this silly subterfuge in order to get people here to be your research guinea pigs for your coursework is getting quite ridiculous, and becomes disingenuous and insulting to the people here.

Your points have been noted but i will continue to post as does everyone else. lets just agree to disagree and move on.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Your points have been noted but i will continue to post as does everyone else. lets just agree to disagree and move on.

Actually continuously posting similar threads is against forum rules. It's called spamming. You should familiarize with yourself with the rules before you get reported and suspended, otherwise your days here will be limited.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
Actually continuously posting similar threads is against forum rules. It's called spamming. You should familiarize with yourself with the rules before you get reported and suspended, otherwise your days here will be limited.

Ok well i am not going post threads about laptops, Macbooks Desktops, Smartwatches, Google glass everything tech products except for tablets because they do not interest me at all.

So i am entitled to post threads about tablets and talk about them on here becuase i really like tablets and i want to talk about tablets on here as this is a tech forum.

The main reason that i joined this forum is to talk about tablets and chat with people who have tablets and get people's opinion about them and if i was not interested in tablets then i would of not joined this tech forum in the 1st place.

Anyway as i said in this post i am not going to post threads about laptops, desktops or any tech product except for tablets becuase i am not interested in talking about them at all.

iBlazed

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2014
New Jersey, United States
Ok well i am not going post threads about laptops, Macbooks Desktops, Smartwatches, Google glass everything tech products except for tablets because they do not interest me at all.

So i am entitled to post threads about tablets and talk about them on here becuase i really like tablets and i want to talk about tablets on here as this is a tech forum.

The main reason that i joined this forum is to talk about tablets and chat with people who have tablets and get people's opinion about them and if i was not interested in tablets then i would of not joined this tech forum in the 1st place.

Anyway as i said in this post i am not going to post threads about laptops, destktops or any tech product except for tablets becuase i am not interested in talking about them at all.

So, just to be clear, what is it that you're interested in again?

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Do you think there will still be Android tablets/Ipads in 5 years time?

Anyway as i said in this post i am not going to post threads about laptops, desktops or any tech product except for tablets becuase i am not interested in talking about them at all.

HOWEVER you don't actually talk about anything. 99.9% of the time You create an opening thread hypothesis based on the same subject and then disappear. How is your one way communication a discussion.

Likewise most people who actually join 'MacRumors' are generally interested in Mac news foremost. It is the bind that ties the whole. This section is just a tiny sub fora of the main forum, and I find it once again questionable anyone signing up to post in this 'sub fora' alone.

Thus it seems to raise more doubt on the veracity of your posts and their hidden agenda.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Key words at the moment!!! how do you know that windows tablets and OS X tablets will not be just as easy to use in 5 years?

Yeah it's kind of funny how short sighted the OP is when asking such a far sighted question.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 18, 2014
You selfishly offer no opinion in any of your threads , instead you just pose an elementary opening question - that really does stink of a basic high school / college essay homework title - then seemingly hope people here will do your research for you without any further contribution from yourself.

Coursework what coursework?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
It's not as intuitive as Android or iOS. I have used all 3 systems.

Something as simple as changing your wifi settings in far more laborious in Windows 8 than it is in either of the two major mobile OS's.

Check out Windows 10, they streamlined lots of stuff like the control panel and settings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.