Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lydsie

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
nano update with watch OS?

I was thinking about getting a used iPod nano 3g, weighed against the 7G nano for the updated bluetooth, etc., but I still don't see the point (after watch OS has come out, providing a model for an OS on a smaller screen) that there still aren't any games, any third party apps, and that the os is still completely neutered.

I was wondering, with the advent of the  watch's new OS and the addition of third party apps and greater functionality to a small device, would they use some of the added functionality from the watch and watch OS to update the shuffle and nano?

I would love the 8th gen nano to be able to do simple notification handling, etc like they do on the watch, come equipped with Pay, have more storage, etc.

I just can't see them phasing out the $149 iPod with the $349 watch, maybe they would transfer over some of the capabilities

LucasLand

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2002
New England
I was thinking about getting a used iPod nano 3g, weighed against the 7G nano for the updated bluetooth, etc., but I still don't see the point (after watch OS has come out, providing a model for an OS on a smaller screen) that there still aren't any games, any third party apps, and that the os is still completely neutered.

I was wondering, with the advent of the  watch's new OS and the addition of third party apps and greater functionality to a small device, would they use some of the added functionality from the watch and watch OS to update the shuffle and nano?

I would love the 8th gen nano to be able to do simple notification handling, etc like they do on the watch, come equipped with Pay, have more storage, etc.

I just can't see them phasing out the $149 iPod with the $349 watch, maybe they would transfer over some of the capabilities

they still need devices that carry a lower price point to affordable to kids and others who don't spend too much. I expect the nano to remain basically the same. they don't want it to cannibalize the sales of the new watch. probably look a little different and have bigger storage

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

As we speculated in other threads, the introduction of the aWatch will probably mean the demise of the iPod Nano. I highly doubt that they would bring aWatch functionality to the Nano.

Since the announcement of the aWatch, I have been using a 6th gen Nano as a watch. I'm impressed with what Apple did back then with the Nano and with a few tweaks would've been my ideal smart watch.

NICKXXXXXX

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2014
Since I gym and track my progress I would love to see that you can make notes. I always make notes on how much I lifted etc to keep track. I wouldn't need more memory in the nano since i'm waiting on my 6 plus with 128gb. 16gb would be enough and only the essential gym music. But yeah. Really hope they add that you can type. Good that they have a stop watch. Otherwise ill just use paper and pen

xcvista

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2011
Shanghai, China
My biggest wish: try to squeeze all those Nano 7th Gen hardware features into a 6th Gen case, with that sleek 6th gen screen size.

This will make the new iPod double as a possible lower end version of Apple Watch: without the sensor pack and Apple Pay the device can be made a lot cheaper but no longer an Apple Watch, hence placed under the iPod line, without a watch band attached. However add an existing 6th Gen watch band to it will make it an awesome watch.

Every product line of Apple is separated into two categories: entry-level and enthusiast. For iPhones, we have iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, iPads we have iPad Air and Mini, and MacBooks have MacBook Air and Pro. By doing this Apple essentially moved iPod Nano into Apple Watch line, placing the former in the entry-level category and the latter in the enthusiast category. Since the MP3 market is dead this event can also mark the time that iPod Classic line, as well as the mainline iPod MP3 players getting the axe. (iPod touch are now considered PDAs/handheld game consoles, no longer a mainline iPod MP3 player)

srshaw

macrumors 6502
Aug 13, 2011
I'd like to see a smaller ipad nano. If I want to watch videos I have an iphone/ipad for that. The only reason I use ipods is for listening to music. Go back to the version with the clip, add bluetooth for wireless speakers and possibly include accelerometers and include health data.

As mentioned though, I suspect the apple watch has all this, which might make the ipod nano rather redundant, especially if the apple watch can store music and ships with an apple bluetooth headset.

iPod Nano 7th

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2014
Big Leap

Basically, I like the form factor of iPod Nano 7th Generation. I wanted a big leap for it. The same form factor is good to become (1) iPod Touch Nano and (2) iPhone Nano. Hope I am clear. It is a very huge leap. Many people want small gadgets not big as iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

csehil

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2015
I would like apple to put back the shuffle by album option. I love playing full albums, but getting surprised by what album plays next. The newest iPod Classic still has this option. The 5th generation nano was the last to be able to shuffle by album.

iRomeo

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2015
IF this is the last iPod Nano... then go out with bang & style!

Same form factor BUT with optional/built-in magnetic clip and touch ID.

Considering memory storage capacity and battery technologies have improved:
- bump storage options to 64 & 128GB for all your music needs with longer battery life.

Finally, revamp anodized colour options:
- 64GB-white face silver, purple, red, cobalt, orange
- 64GB-black face slate, hot pink, copper, lime green, yellow, and turquoise

AND... for the enthusiast:
- 128GB polished aluminum w/white, black, or mirror face
- 128GB gloss black w/black face and shiny gold trim (the Jobs Player Special)!!

Suspended
Dec 27, 2014
I don't think we'll see another Nano. As someone else said, the only products safe are the Shuffle and the Touch.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
With how buggy iTunes match is the UK on the iPhone., I've been throwing my iPod nano 7th gen into my backpack more often now. It's great listening without worrying about using up the battery and not being able to make phone calls. I also find the sound quality on the iPod to be much better.

Although unlikely, 128GB version of the current 7th gen would be awesome! Maybe apple could meet me half way at 64GB though!

Tritto

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2014
Bring back the click wheel! If I want a touch screen I'll buy an iPod touch.

Jack Parker

macrumors member
Jan 14, 2015
At this point, I would be happy if they just re-released the Nano and just bumped the storage. It has all these nice features, but is so limited because it's only 16GB.

Exactly. In another thread, you encouraged me to consider the Nano instead of the iPod Touch because of my needs. You have me leaning in Nano's direction now, but I want more than 16GB. It's the only thing holding me back from making a final decision.

Is there anyway to completely remove GPS capabilities in iPods?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Exactly. In another thread, you encouraged me to consider the Nano instead of the iPod Touch because of my needs. You have me leaning in Nano's direction now, but I want more than 16GB. It's the only thing holding me back from making a final decision.

Is there anyway to completely remove GPS capabilities in iPods?

iPod Touch? You can turn off the location services. Why? Are you going to use it outside and want to save battery life? I just keep mine on airplane mode.

Pebbles1402

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2015
I dunno man, I think at this point I'd be glad to see the 5th gen nano come back to stay. When I bought mine when it first came out, I thought "I don't see them going anywhere but downhill with design from here so I might as well jump on the bandwagon now", and IMO I was right. I really liked what they had going there, it's a pity they discontinued them. I know a lot of people like the 7th gen, but why not make more than one model available? One for people who like the touch screen, and one for the ones who like the clickwheel.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
The next iPod nano should:

• Use one of Apple's CPUs, maybe an A5 or something like that.
  • Have a bigger screen. I think about 4 inches.
  • Have cameras in the front and back.
  • Run iOS and be compatible with the app store.
  • Have wifi connectivity.
  • Look something like this:

ipod-touch-gallery1-2014

BestTechSpecs

macrumors newbie
Feb 15, 2015
iPod Nano 8

Here is what the iPod Nano 8 should have on it.

1280x720p with Retina Display
720p (True HD) Camera with 5MP Photos
Pass Code under Settings
A built in Speaker
Find my iPod App
Choose Multi Colors like iPod Nano 7 with Gold, Silver, and Space Grey
More Storage Maybe 16, 32, and 64GB

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.