Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Why am I not surprised, at all. :rolleyes:

The sad thing is many people think that is what it is using since there is not an external IR blaster. But like the newer Slingboxes, the Xbox uses the Kinect to blast IR in all directions without the need for an external IR blaster.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
The sad thing is many people think that is what it is using since there is not an external IR blaster. But like the newer Slingboxes, the Xbox uses the Kinect to blast IR in all directions without the need for an external IR blaster.

Actually, it turned out that the Xbox One does support HDMI-CEC, but there is not a single cable box in the US that supports it, too.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Actually, it turned out that the Xbox One does support HDMI-CEC, but there is not a single cable box in the US that supports it, too.

Well, yes, technically it supports it. But technically it supports a lot things. But it doesn't matter if it isn't using it.

JohnnyComeLatly

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
Well, yes, technically it supports it. But technically it supports a lot things. But it doesn't matter if it isn't using it.

Right but like the IR blaster being a tactical bomb, and the Kinect is a strategic nuke with the IR Spray, it means you're more likely future proof. I'd rather it have the CDMI data capbability, and the industry ignore/skip, than it NOT have it and everything else uses the CDMI equiv to UPnP.

Keep in mind, UPnP took awhile too, and most early tech articles said to turn it off because the insane increase in overhead traffic over Wifi routers.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
Right but like the IR blaster being a tactical bomb, and the Kinect is a strategic nuke with the IR Spray, it means you're more likely future proof. I'd rather it have the CDMI data capbability, and the industry ignore/skip, than it NOT have it and everything else uses the CDMI equiv to UPnP.

Keep in mind, UPnP took awhile too, and most early tech articles said to turn it off because the insane increase in overhead traffic over Wifi routers.

The problem with HDMI-CEC is cable companies are not going to support it because they feel like it hurts their business. HDMI-CEC is becoming pretty standard for tvs. But using IR to turn on tvs and change the volume is not really a problem with the Xbox since that is such a small part of the average use with the Xbox.

tmazz

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2014
Apple TV control with Kinect

I have it working. I am also able to control the video (pause, play, rewind, fast forward) on my apple tv using kinect voice commands.

I had the same issue as you at first (only sound no video) I took the HDMI cord out on the apple tv, then put it back in, then I did the same to the other end that was in the xbox, and then it worked fine for me.

To get the playback commands to work with the apple tv, set your set top box manufacturer to Apple, and the device to Apple TV (when I tried AppleTV 2 it did not work for me)

eliehass I tried to set my Apple TV up the way you described here, however the controls still dont work (I tried with Apple TV and AppleTV2). Are your controls still working? Did you change any other preferences?

cavemonkey50

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2007
Allentown, PA
eliehass I tried to set my Apple TV up the way you described here, however the controls still dont work (I tried with Apple TV and AppleTV2). Are your controls still working? Did you change any other preferences?

I had this issue, and it turns out I had my Apple TV paired to a remote, and it wasn't accepting commands from other remotes. Unpair your remote and the IR commands should work.

tmazz

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2014
I had this issue, and it turns out I had my Apple TV paired to a remote, and it wasn't accepting commands from other remotes. Unpair your remote and the IR commands should work.

Oh cool, thanks. Will the grey remote still work afterwards? Also obviously the main thing I want to work is the pause/play, but are there any commands for Up Down Left Right?

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
I have run my Apple TV through my Xbox. It works fine. You may have to change out the HDMI cable that Xbox shipped with it or you'll get a message saying it can't display. I've swapped that cable when hooking it up. I wish I could resize the Snapped screen.

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
As said by others you can plug in any HDMI source. Be aware that the image is not simply passed through but is processed. Depending on the source it can make the image laggy/lower quality or even jerky. I no longer have anything connected to my HDMI in for these reasons.

cavemonkey50

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2007
Allentown, PA
Oh cool, thanks. Will the grey remote still work afterwards? Also obviously the main thing I want to work is the pause/play, but are there any commands for Up Down Left Right?

Yes, the grey remote still works after unpairing it. Pairing locks the Apple TV to one remote. Unpaired allows any remote.

Xbox One only does play/pause right now, but there is no reason it couldn't do the other commands in the future with a software update.

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
guys,
i got an xbox one & want to use my apple tv as pass through, i don't have the kinect just the xbox one so i have to turn the apple tv with the remote or will the xbox one still turn it on by the OS?

Thanks..

eliehass

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2008
guys,
i got an xbox one & want to use my apple tv as pass through, i don't have the kinect just the xbox one so i have to turn the apple tv with the remote or will the xbox one still turn it on by the OS?

Thanks..

The Kinect acts as the IR blaster for the Xbox One, so without it you can't use the Xbox to control anything. (Unless there is support for the HDMI protocol, I'm not sure if the Xbox One supports that and the Apple TV definitely doesn't support that...)

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I will be at BESTBuy at 12:01am to get my XBOX One! I got friday off!

This will be my 2nd camp out! first was the iPhone 5! I couldn't wait for UPS had to get it that night! :apple:

why camp out there will be plenty of places doing that deal. Camping out makes 0 sense !!! Amazon will prob have the same deal. Think Target has the best xbox one bundle. I have all the systems and Xbox One to me is the worst. Also the tv features of it don't work well and only work if you get the kinect version that is more expensive. (much better off getting used on craigslist)

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
Xbox One only does play/pause right now, but there is no reason it couldn't do the other commands in the future with a software update.

I just ordered the Kinect & i m interested to link the apple tv to the xbox one now, once connected is there a way we can use the gestures to navigate the apple tv screen? so we have to still use the apple tv remote to browse through the menus on apple tv?

Thanks..

insane79

macrumors 6502
Aug 20, 2008
I have it working. I am also able to control the video (pause, play, rewind, fast forward) on my apple tv using kinect voice commands.

I had the same issue as you at first (only sound no video) I took the HDMI cord out on the apple tv, then put it back in, then I did the same to the other end that was in the xbox, and then it worked fine for me.

To get the playback commands to work with the apple tv, set your set top box manufacturer to Apple, and the device to Apple TV (when I tried AppleTV 2 it did not work for me)

where do you change this settings?in Tv & one guide when i go to devices, i only see tv & av receiver, no setup box shows where i can change the settings.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.