Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZachSpringman

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Albany, NY
I have a Mac Mini (Late 2012) with a 128GB SSD installed (Mac OSC installed on the SSD) with the 500GB HDD that came with it also installed as a second drive.

I'm basically looking to sell this - along with the monitor I have - a 27.5 inch 1080p Samsung (can't remember the model at the moment) with the Apple Keyboard & Trackpad.

I can't really seem to pinpoint a price or figure out the best place to post it to attract the most buyers. I've searched eBay for examples but I don't see many bundles - it's mostly just the Mac Mini itself.

Does anyone have any advice/ pricing tips?

troy14

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2008
Las Vegas (Summerlin), NV
I have a Mac Mini (Late 2012) with a 128GB SSD installed (Mac OSC installed on the SSD) with the 500GB HDD that came with it also installed as a second drive.

I'm basically looking to sell this - along with the monitor I have - a 27.5 inch 1080p Samsung (can't remember the model at the moment) with the Apple Keyboard & Trackpad.

I can't really seem to pinpoint a price or figure out the best place to post it to attract the most buyers. I've searched eBay for examples but I don't see many bundles - it's mostly just the Mac Mini itself.

Does anyone have any advice/ pricing tips?

The monitor will not really add any value to your bundle, either will the keyboard and trackpad. The keyboard and trackpad you might be better off selling separate, however, if included might be the determining factor if a buyer buys your auction or someone elses.

ZachSpringman

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Albany, NY
The monitor will not really add any value to your bundle, either will the keyboard and trackpad. The keyboard and trackpad you might be better off selling separate, however, if included might be the determining factor if a buyer buys your auction or someone elses.

Why would including a monitor not increase the value of your bundling items together?

mojolicious

macrumors 68000
Mar 18, 2014
Sarf London
I'm with troy14: selling it as a complete system limits your market. Most people interested in a 2012 mini aren't looking to buy the peripherals as they'll already have them. I think you'd make more if you unbundled the sale. Whether you'd make enough more to compensate for dealing with three separate purchasers, organising three shipments etc etc is of course your call.

ZachSpringman

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Albany, NY
I'm with troy14: selling it as a complete system limits your market. Most people interested in a 2012 mini aren't looking to buy the peripherals as they'll already have them. I think you'd make more if you unbundled the sale. Whether you'd make enough more to compensate for dealing with three separate purchasers, organising three shipments etc etc is of course your call.

That makes sense - how would you price it then as just the Mac Mini Late 2012 2.5 GHz with the 500GB HDD and 128GB SSD?

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
For what it's worth, you can get the 2014 1.4GHz version for $500. That's new with a warranty, better graphics, 2 Thunderbolt 2 ports, wireless ac. For my money, I wouldn't trade all of that for $100, so it would have to be something below $400.

That said, I think people are getting something like $300 to $350 for a 2010 Mac Mini. That's the last one with an optical drive, so it has some special value for media center applications for some people. That's a Core 2 version. Everything after that has an i5 or i7. One of the strong points of the Mini is it's excellent resale value.

ZachSpringman

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 25, 2013
Albany, NY
For what it's worth, you can get the 2014 1.4GHz version for $500. That's new with a warranty, better graphics, 2 Thunderbolt 2 ports, wireless ac. For my money, I wouldn't trade all of that for $100, so it would have to be something below $400.

That said, I think people are getting something like $300 to $350 for a 2010 Mac Mini. That's the last one with an optical drive, so it has some special value for media center applications for some people. That's a Core 2 version. Everything after that has an i5 or i7. One of the strong points of the Mini is it's excellent resale value.

Any recommendations besides eBay? They just piss me off with the way they hold your money for so long but it seems to be the safest way.

spatlese44

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2007
Milwaukee
I like craigslist more than ebay. It's just simpler. Most of what I've bought or sold has been under $300, which is about where I start to worry about the transaction. I guess if I were to sell something worth something like $1000 I'd go the ebay route.

Thinking about it a little more, your machine is exactly what I wanted to get but couldn't order when I bought my 2012 Mini. I didn't necessarily want the quad core, but definitely wanted a fusion drive. The kext signing issue with SSDs is a real issue the route you went though and should be taken into consideration. Good luck with your sale.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.