Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
Really that one bug made you switch.... :rolleyes: Come on now, we have seen enough of your comments to know it wasn't this one bug. :)

Nahh, that was "the bug". Everything else has been a long time coming, and Yosemite sure hasn't helped anything, but that one stupid mail bug - which has cost me something like 2 days of work so far - was the ultimate deciding factor for me.

Edit: The phrase I was thinking of, that I couldn't remember, was "the straw that broke the camel's back".

Last edited:

Xeridionix

macrumors regular
Jan 6, 2015
I actually really enjoy using Apple's Mail client. It has always worked for me and I've never had an issue with it.

Nabooly

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
I love Mail, but after my Spotlight search incident and it deleting a year's worth of emails for some unknown reason I switched to AirMail. I have no idea what happened, all I know is that it completely deleted those emails off of my ISP's server. Even after a restore, it started to delete again. So I'm suing AirMail for now....and it works very well, just kinda irks me that I'm using a third party app for such a simple program. Also, AirMail doesn't have an iOS counterpart; and Time Warner Cable's iOS app is just garbage :mad:

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I really like the Mail app. I've been using it since ever and ever and got thousands of mails locally stored. It works just fine for me with instant mail delivery...

iqmac

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2014
Toronto
I have been using Apple Mail (on Mavericks) for over a year since switching from the Windows platform and using Outlook/Outlook Express, and have to say Apple Mail does close to everything I want it to do.

I have 6 gmail accounts (imap), 2 yahoo accounts (imap), my iCloud account, 1 Microsoft Exchange account, and then about 20 other email accounts from my own ISP (a mix of imap and pop) all working perfectly.

The 2 weaknesses I find with Apple Mail are:

- Rules - Not the most robust of mail filtering tools, limited rule building;
- Junk mail - It lets too much junk through. One day it catches junk mail; the next day it lets the same junk mail through...go figure.

Overall I give it an 8.5/10.

Ian

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
I dumped a mail client about a year ago after trying Apple Mail, Sparrow, Postbox, etc. over the years. I had been a loyal Apple Mail user since its release until OS X 10.7 or so.

I find they all are massive RAM and disk space hogs. There's an extreme difference in responsiveness on my Mac Mini depending on whether or not any email client is running. Using a client on my MacBook Air pretty much immediately fills the SSD. I just use Gmail online now for my 7-or-so Google Apps accounts.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
I dumped a mail client about a year ago after trying Apple Mail, Sparrow, Postbox, etc. over the years. I had been a loyal Apple Mail user since its release until OS X 10.7 or so.

I find they all are massive RAM and disk space hogs. There's an extreme difference in responsiveness on my Mac Mini depending on whether or not any email client is running. Using a client on my MacBook Air pretty much immediately fills the SSD. I just use Gmail online now for my 7-or-so Google Apps accounts.

Sounds like you've got some other issues going on that you should have sorted before jumping to conclusions.

DJLC

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2005
North Carolina
Sounds like you've got some other issues going on that you should have sorted before jumping to conclusions.

When I have the same problem on multiple Macs across multiple versions of OS X over a series of years, I tend to think it's Apple's problem.

Granted, maybe I should delete my email once in a while. But that's not really the point.

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK
When I have the same problem on multiple Macs across multiple versions of OS X over a series of years, I tend to think it's Apple's problem.

Granted, maybe I should delete my email once in a while. But that's not really the point.

I can see that you see that as an apple issue, however it isn't that simple. The amount of mail that you have doesn't make mail.app use any more ram or not. If it becomes a ram hog it is more likely that it is trying to do something it can't. Thus more likely a threading issue at the mail server end, or some DNS mail record or reverse lookup records not setup correctly.

Local storage fair enough, personally I would prefer to have it locally and have my own backups.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
I've tried to like Apple Mail. It tells me I'm offline with google and Verizon, but works with optimum.net. I have no problems with Postbox and Airmail. Is there anyway to fix this?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-01-29 at 1.05.28 PM_1.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-01-29 at 1.05.28 PM_1.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 428

talmy

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2009
Oregon
I've used it for years. I've got multiple accounts -- 2 Exchange, Gmail (using POP), iCloud, several POP accounts at Godaddy, a POP at my former ISP I still maintain, and a POP with my current ISP I don't use. I'm not big on IMAP since I read mail on only one system.

KasperFromDK

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2014
Denmark
Maybe it's my settings? The same email comes through on my android phone straight away. Could be 10/15 minutes before its on the mac. Sometimes I even have to press the Get Mail option.

I have the same issue. Mails (hotmail end gmail) arrives several minutes later than on my iPhone.

aforty

macrumors 65816
Nov 27, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
I haven't used a native mail client on the Mac since Sparrow. Started using Gmail on the web for easier tagging/archiving, and now I've moved onto Inbox which has been amazing.

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2009
I have a LOT of email accounts

I use Mail and I have about 10 email accounts in it.

1 @me apple account
a few gmails
1 yahoo
1 outlook
1 rogers (my lisp)

BUT i ALSO have about another 10 gmail addresses that I use on a regular basis so for that I use a great software called MAIPLANE 3 that I have used for several years

its an email account BUT it looks like Gmail on the web but in an actual program so instead of having to go to the web to sign in, i have all these accounts, one after another. ( no i am not a spammer lest anyone ask LOL )

What makes it great is that it sets up exactly like gmail on the web sets up.
I can access all folders from it, settings, etc.
Basically whatever I can do in a gmail account on the web, I can do it in the software on my computer

when you have more than one gmail account, and go onto the web for it, I found you had to check different folders such as ALL MAIL and/or whatever folders to make sure everything was visible to you but now I just doit all within the software it self so I don't have to go sign in on the web. IF i had just one email address, I wouldn't mind doing that but I have a few so it would be really annoying to have to keep signing in and signing out each time.

I swear by this software if you use Gmail a lot MAILPLANE 3 is very user friendly i find and i have used it on my mac for several years

eljanitor

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
I had too many problems with it thought the various versions since 2006. I found Mozilla Thunderbird to be pretty good.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I've used Mail since I switched from the old Mac OS to OS X.

It has generally worked fine, but my "mail needs" are not overly complex, and I do not juggle multiple accounts.

Perhaps simplifying matters is that I'm a confirmed "POP3" user and will NEVER use IMAP until I have no choice other than to do so. Makes things much easier, and YES, you CAN use POP with multiple computers if you set things up a certain way.

The only times I've run into problems with Mail, is when the ISP has changed settings "behind the scenes". But once the right parameters are entered, Mail settles back down and works fine.

SD-B

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2009
I give Apple's app a shot from time to time, but that usually lasts only a day or two. I used to use AirMail and loved it, but gave "Mailbox" a try (it's still in beta, technically). Mailbox has become indispensable for me. I can't imagine going back to anything else now that I've been using it on OS X and iOS for as long as it's been available. I almost never have any issues and it helps me keep things organized and focused. If you're an inbox zero type, I highly recommend it.

that looks interesting.
http://www.mailboxapp.com

my major complaint about gmail is their wish to archive emails even when i just want them deleted.
I am yet to try AIRMAIL which I have but might consider this one but will have to look into it a bit more to see if it can handle multiple email addresses.

Thx

----------

It has generally worked fine, but my "mail needs" are not overly complex, and I do not juggle multiple accounts.

Perhaps simplifying matters is that I'm a confirmed "POP3" user and will NEVER use IMAP until I have no choice other than to do so. Makes things much easier, and YES, you CAN use POP with multiple computers if you set things up a certain way.

The only times I've run into problems with Mail, is when the ISP has changed settings "behind the scenes". But once the right parameters are entered, Mail settles back down and works fine.

But how do you get around the emails that pop into folders like ALL MAIL or IMPORTANT MAIL, features of Gmail that i am not keen of?
I find i have to use IMAP in order to access those folders in an email program, otherwise I would have to go to the web and sign in that way to check them, daily and i don't have time to do that with one account, let alone several.

Thats my main reason for using IMAP unless someone can tell me I am doing something wrong?

I might start looking around for a free web based email that just uses simple folders and doesn't have ALL MAIL and IMPORTANT MAIL etc.
It makes it unnecessarily complicated in my opinion but thats what I have been putting up with and using MAILPLANE for that reason.
I am always on the look out for an easier way though

cyb3rdud3

macrumors 68040
Jun 22, 2014
UK

I couldn't think of a single advantage for using pop3 over IMAP. Would you mind enlighten me why you will never use IMAP?

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I've been using Apple Mail since 2006. Very happy with it, does exactly what I need from a mail client.

I've been using Apple Mail since Tiger, and it's my only e-mail I actually check. g-mail forwards to Mac Mail. Before that I used @netscape.net account which is theoretically still working but I haven't done anything with that one in ages.

I still have the @mac.com e-mail addy (which was a function of having a paid dot mac account)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.